1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI Question #1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Patterned my gun at 13 yards using a Briley XF screw in choke for all tests from a rest. Beads in a figure eight with target on top of front bead. 10% below the line and 90% above...core of pattern two inches above the line...can I believe my gun shoots 90/10? And...is this a good st-up for mid handicap?
    Thanks, Jack

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

1. No, assuming it is just a normal gun, no giant rib or anything, it will only shoot three or four or five inches high at the bird. Don't worry about percentages; they make no sense. Just think three or four or five inches.

2. Maybe. It's certainly as good a place as any to start, better than most.

Congratulations on finding the POI of your gun in that organized and valid manner. You are one of the very, very few who has made the effort and so knows where his gun shoots instead of flat guessing like almost everyone else.

Neil

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Did you come up with the percentages by counting pellets? If not, then it is not accurate. Also, the 90/10 will change as you increase distance.

If the center of your pattern is 2" high at 13 yards, it will be 6" high at 39 yards(target distance). If you have a perfect 30" pattern, this will leave 21" above and 9" below the POA. That will be about 60/40.

It doesn't matter what your percentages are. The only thing that matters is, can you hit the target with that pattern? So, the answer is yes, you can use that POI for mid-cap, but do you want to?

The best way to be certain is to lock the machine straight, stand at station three and blast away. If you're not centering the target, move the comb. Keep moving the comb until you are centering the target.

4. Martinpicker

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have patterned a lot of the years. I use it with a new gun to see if the gun shoots straight. I have found to find the true poi I shoot a slug through the gun. As most clubs will not allow you to shoot slugs, I shoot them at a friends farm. In my opinion, a slug will give you the true poi.
    Steve Balistreri

6. Martinpicker

7. Martinpicker

Senior Smoke, If I shoot a slug through my gun, what choke tube do I put in and at what distance do I shoot or does that make a difference. Also, if the slug is X inches high at 30 yards, what does that tell me? Thanks, Jack

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It tells you it was X inches high at 30 yards. HMB

9. Martinpicker

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I agree that a slug should give you true POI but how could I use the full choke that I shoot with to do that? If I use a more open choke I still haven't checked the POI of my choke that I use.........chokes can vary greatly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.