1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI & Pattern Testing at 13 yards! (Winston)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you have ever wondered what all this about close-range shotgun testing is all about and wondered "if P&PTa13y is right for you" as they say in the pharmaceutical commercials, then you should click on the link above and find out.

When you get there click on the negative image and in a jiffy you will have it all, right there on your desktop. MTA Past-President Ron Baker has offered to host the document on his Northstar Clay Target website. Once you get there

http://www.northstarclaytarget.com

you will probably want to mouse over and look around, my only warning being that Denny Spurling is represented there too so be careful.

Neil

2. Neil Winston

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

neil--i am impressed,what a great learning -useable article--thanks wally riebesell

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thanks for something that we can understand. I like what you did here and actually think I can use this. So many times I see postings about patterning and velocity etc that are so far out there that unless you have an engineering degree are useless. I already have a target holder I made of PCV pipe for the rifle range that will work just fine with some slight modifications for the paper roll. I intend to do just what you suggested and leave at the club where I am Pres. for others to use. I will put a waterproof baggie or container of some kind with the instructions inside the roll box. Most folks do not know how to properly pattern their gun

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

The best i seen yet the average guy can understand. Nice job.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- Nice work. I was favorably impressed with your clear and concise writing style. You can present a lot of accurate information without using a lot of words. You are an excellent informative writer: however, I suspect you would make a rather poor political speech writer. Those guys like to use a lot of words and say nothing. You use a few words and say a lot.

Pat Ireland

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Neil:
    Great job.
    Steve Balistreri

8. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

9. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

Nice test and article Neil.

I like how you ran the tests with the open chokes vs tight chokes. I have barrels choked by the so called "big 3". They are .028-.034 choke and they shoot the same patterns @ 13 yards like your lite full choked tests.

After looking at your .035-.040 choke patterns maybe we can do away with the " shoots like a rifle" terminology.

If you are a right hand shooter and your gun shoots alittle left,have a left hand shooter shoot it. Then average the results.

10. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Outstanding article Neil. Jim

11. t-bar

t-bar Member

12. Neil Winston

Up for Sunday readers.

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Thank you Neil. I printed and bound mine for bedroom reading, or was that illegal?? :) Bob

14. Neil Winston

Bob, the copyright is just to keep it from showing up under someone else's name which occasionally happens.

The moderators here of course volunteered to storm your house and seize your copy, but I talked them out of it in the spirit of the holidays. So I hope you enjoy it.

In fact, I'd love it if many readers made copies and left one at their club. So this is a general permission for anyone to make copies for their own and any non-commercial use. Spread it around; it should at least give the crowd at the club something new to argue about.

Neil

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I had the same thought Neil of putting a copy at the club, but I don't think the Skeet shooters there would have a clue what it's for. :) It is surprising how much use our patterning frame gets. I guess I shouldn't admit that that you put me to sleep last night after one chapter.

I appreciate not having the moderators beating my door down. Thank you for a great compilation of information. Bob

16. Neil Winston

It really put you to sleep, Bob? Hey, that's great! I'll put marketing on it right away and soon you will see - before they are right back - on the evening news

"Have trouble falling to sleep? Staying asleep? Try one of Neil Winston's tomes on shotgun ballistics for a restful night with no drug hangover. Do not take if you have trouble standing after, say, 9 o'clock most nights. Do not take if you also use Rollin Oswald's Stock Fitter's Bible as a serious synergistic reaction may occur leading, in some cases, to irreversible coma. If you can't afford a copy, maybe the Government can help."

Maybe I can make some money out of this yet.

Neil

17. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

AWESOME, Neil I learned alot from this and printed it as well...!!!!!!!!!...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

neil winston poi