1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI on Perazzi Over & Under Barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

I was told by Giacomo USA this week that the standard POI on MX8 trap O&U barrels was 50/50 for both barrels. I was also told that I could not special order barrels with 70/30 bottom and a 60/40 top.

A 50/50 POI on both barrels seems way to low, especially for the first shot. If you buy the barrels with an adjustable rib doesn't the POI move the same distance for both barrels regardless of how the rib is adjusted?

What am I missing?

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Standard MX-8 o/u bbls shoot very flat. Yes, an adjustable rib will change both bbls the same way.

3. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Over the years Perazzi has made "purpose-suited" O/U's with varied POI characteristcs. Skeet, pigeon, olympic, and U.S. trap have differing considerations, and guns were and are built to accommodate.

If your desire is to play with POI variations between barrels, buy a K-80.

If you are serious about what a Perazzi can do for you, call Lucio at Perazzi USA.

If you need your TM-1 reblued, call Giacomo.

That's how it is. GAP

4. Garry

Garry Active Member

Does anyone else think it's strange that Perazzi factory standard POI on an MX-8 trap doubles gun is 50/50 for both barrels.

GAP, I will give Lucio a call tomorrow but I am not very hopeful based on other conversations I have tried to have with him. I use the word tried because he did not seem interested in answering my questions - maybe he was just having a bad hair day.

5. MOP

MOP Active Member

Customer relations is not Perazzi USA's strong point.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have an MX-3 O/U and both barrels shoot the same POI about 60/40 with center bead directly in line with the front bead. I raise the POI by seeing a bit of space between the beads.

7. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The MX-8 shoots somewhat flat, for me they shoot closer to 60/40 lower, 55/45 upper. This matches with the target flight in intl. trap. American trap is of course different, three different games altogether.

Hence the reason for combos, and adjustments. Perazzi makes lots of guns with adjustable ribs like MX-15 if you need a higher shooting gun. A properly set-up MX-8 shoots where you look. No floating the bird, no 120% high stuff.

I would advise trying to find a quality gunfitter/coach in your area, as he can advise you and get you set-up. He can act as an intermediary between you and the factory, only when you are ready to buy. Remember these factory folks are busy.

It sounds like a simple thing to ask what is a POI for a specific gun, but you must understand - that is not how it works. So many variables. The gun MUST be fitted to the man, only then can you get results.

Keep in mind, free advice is worth about what you pay for it. Best of luck, GAP.

8. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Factory folks are busy rolmaf! Plus lucio is italian for A hole k 80

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Garry, I don't think it strange at all. First, Perazzi uses straight down the rib when quoting POI. So 50/50 is perfect. If your sight picture is buried beads your POI will be55/45 or close to that. If your sight picture is the figure 8 some many people seem to crave, your POI will be between 60/40 and 70/30.

I insist both my POI barrels shoot to the same POI because it messes me up when they don't. I once owned a Beretta barrel that shot high for the U barrel and flat for the O barrel. Beretta said it was designed that way to help for doubles. It didn't and is the reason I sold that gun. The three barrel sets I shot doubles the best with had both barrels shooting to the same POI.

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

For those who are willing users of screw in chokes, Briley can and will make concentric chokes that will move the pattern higher or lower or left or right. I'm not aware who else provides this service, I'm sure there others.

I think Lucio is factory contrained to abide by factory specs, he has worked on several of my guns while I stood and watched allowing me to learn quite a bit about Perazzi's

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta over under shoot to different poi