1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI on 2nd shot of doubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RAScott, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

I am interested in the poi that most use on the 2nd shot of doubles? I have an adjustable rib on my over and under barrel as well as my single barrel. My POI is about 6" high at 39yards on my unsingle, and my top/2nd shot poi is about 16" using the frank little book of setting the POI at 13 yards. to get an easy read on the impact. What do you suggest should i lower the POI so that it matches or is similar? Your point of views please.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I want both top and bottom exactly the same. For me thats 13" at 40 yards. Same POI for singles and handicap.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Everything depends on how fast you get to the second bird. Is it still rising, is it at its peak, or is it dropping? Most shooters like a flat shooting gun for the second shot in doubles. HMB

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Congratulations on the Kolar T/A from Joel. I called him after the Grand and was told it had found a new home. As for POI on doubles there will be as many answers as there are people who respond.

What seems to work for me is both over and under are set to shoot about 10" to 12" high at 35 yards. This is the same POI as my Top single. I know that some others like the first shot barrel to shoot higher because of the faster rising bird but I could never make that work for me.

Good Luck with a great gun

--- Chip King ---

5. RAScott

RAScott Member

Thanks, The TA shoots 10% higher on the first barrel. I was shooting a mongral made up combo before and did ok , by that i shot a gun with 2 different rib heights. i enjoy shooting doubles it is a fun sport and i do want to get better at itThanks for the input. I may lower the Poi so that it is the same and practice with it. I really like the new gun and the feel.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot the same POI for all of my barrels that pheasantmaster shoots. But, he shoots that POI better than I do.

Pat Ireland

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I like the first shot on my Dubs gun to be the same as my Unsingle barrel, nearly 100%. I prefer the second shot to be flatter, around 80% high. This may be mental, but I may be mental too. LOL

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A method that works very well is to trap the first bird. That way it doesn't matter what the POI of the first barrel is. You can then fine tune the POI of the second barrel so you get center hits on the second bird. Only one POI to worry about makes things alot easier. HMB

9. RAScott

RAScott Member

Thanks for the insights, and humor HAHAHA! I will lower it it seams to be a natural thing to want the same sight picture on the 2nd bird as in singles and caps. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.