1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

poi of bt-100 compaired to 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kevin a., Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

i know that this depends a little on how the gun is mounted and such
    but in general what is the difference in the poi ?

i know i should pattern my bt-100 - but just shot my first round with it
    and did really horrible.

thanks kevin

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

In general, a shotgun has two POIs. The "mechanical" POI which is a function of the stock comb height and the rib angle. In theory, this is same without regard to shooter, since it is simply the angle between the rear sight (eye) and the front sight (bead) . You can find this by shooting from a bench rest and aligning the sights, creating the perfect figure eight of the middle and front beads, and then shooting. But the POI that actually counts is the one that the gun shoots for you (the individual shooter) when using the shotgun as normally shouldered. This "practical" POI is determined by how the gun is shouldered, cheek pressure, gun fit for the individual, how firmly or loosely the comb is "cheeked", etc. It can vary widely between different shooters using the same gun. As as example, when I owned/used a BT99, for me the gun shot almost absolutely flat (50/50). Several friends, however, found for them it shot a bit higher. And I have seen posts from others who have/shoot BT99s that seem to shoot as much as 70/30 for them. Even more, the guy I sold it to found for him, it shot low and he had to make some fair comb adjustments to raise the POI. Same with my 391 Parallel Comb Target. For me (before I had it rebuilt with adjustable rib, etc) it shot about 60/40 in factory configuration. For others, it shot a bit differently. Thus the practical POI will often vary between shooters for any given shotgun, sometimes quite drastically.

In my opinion, the "mechanical" POI is irrelevant. What matters is where a particular gun shoots for you, the individual. Until you know this, you will have difficulty, unless the gun just happens to be shooting where you are looking, as it comes from the factory. (obviously, this sometimes happens, but often it does not) You need to test the "practical" POI as it works for you, by shooting the gun at paper. You can do this at 13 yards to determine where the POI is for you, then shoot accordingly. Or, of course, make adjustments to the gun (via an adjustable comb, etc) to change the POI to where you would like, or want it.

Jim R

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Kevin:
    Try "floating" the bird a little bit. The bt's, both 99 and 100 can be notoriously high shooters. I'm on my second bt99, and wouldn't trade it for any gun. Once you get used to where it shoots [poi] you may prefer it over your 391. There is nothing like seeing a rapidly rising target being smoked. With a lot of guns you can't do this because you have to cover the bird on the up lead. You won't have with a bt because of the higher poi. bust em all! Bill in MI

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I wonder if the huge difference in triggers between the gun is not the culprit.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Kevin, contrary to popular opinion try covering 'em a bit. I've known few BT-100's that shot real high!!

6. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Take 5 minutes to shoot a piece of paper and then you'll know. Or speculate forever.

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Both the BT-100's I used to own shot dead flat.
    50/50 at best. Thaat's why I sold them.

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I'm agreeing, I've owned a couple of Bt100's too and had to jack the comb way up, but the hammer on a 391 takes forever to drop after the crunchy slacky trigger pull where as the Bt100 trigger is pretty crisp and much faster. Give the new gun a chance, learn how to shoot it and then decide which one is better.

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

BT100's were made with three different rib heights at the muzzle. One was supposed to shoot about 60/40. Another was 70/30 and the last was 80/20. Now I know it all depends on the way a person mounts the gun but this was for a normal gun mount. A high rib at the muzzle would be 60/40. I am just guessing but I would guess that a rib around 3/8 of an inch would be the 60/40.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.