1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI - nothing left to try

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Not one of them "gurus" of any kind but: Not exactly, you can use one of those magnetic lite-pipes which will raise the front bead somewhat. That will lower the POI if sighted as you would a rifle. The choices made will be determined by how quick you shoot the clay? Do you shoot quick while the bird is still raising, after it levels off, etc. Arm swinger? Use the upper body to attack the bird while the gun/body acts as a single unit? It does make a difference as to how to properly set the POI for your style of shooting. Hap

2. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

I assume you mean shoot flat. Unless you pattern your gun at 13 yards from a rest, you have no idea how high it shoots. Why you would want it to shoot flat is of some interest. Do you have an adjustable comb or butt plate?

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Well, P2, you are done with this gun. You can't get it lower enough to make any difference other than talking to Vicki at Keensights or equivalent.

Low shooters are fixable. High shooters aren't and require modification or replacement.

But still - I've owned a passel of Berettas and never found one anywhere close to the one you have. Are you shooting from a rest? Have you passed the gun to someone else to take a couple of shots with to see if that's what he/she gets as well?

This "Everyone shoots a gun differently!" mantra has its limitations to the extent that I don't believe it at all. When I hand my gun to someone at a benchrest and tell him what I see, he gets just what I do. So let another try it. If the result is the same, you are essentially toast. Sorry.

Neil

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Well not quite toast yet. I had the same problem.

Go to your favorite gunsmith and have him look in a Brownells catalog for long shank front beads, and have him order three of them. Part number 708-518-121. It's a 3-56 thread which is exactly what you need if it is a optima bore barrel.

After you/he determine what distance off the barrel you want the bead, trim the shank accordingly, slowly. My bead is .125 off of the barrel. Then a spacer or shims will be needed for support under the bead. I used very very tiny washers. Use some cold blue, pencil version or what ever to get everything to match.

Hap does have a good suggestion to try, with the magnetic sight with the elevated bead. I used one for experimentation.

With me, it was modify it or trade it. The new POI is just what I needed. My modification has been solid for four years now.

5. Cush

Cush TS Member

I have been through this drill several times. I've sold guns because they were like this. I've bought tapered ribs from Keen to fix the problem. I shoot mostly sporting where there are lots of dropping targets.

That said, my advice is forget about this "problem" and just shoot the gun for a few months. On targets, I mean. No more patterning. Just shoot it and you will adjust to it and probably never want it any other way.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

piranha2- You need to do one more test. And, it is the most important test. Go to the line, mount your gun, look down the rib and then out to the house, call pull and shoot the bird. Do this about 200 times and see how many you hit. For many of us, a gun shooting 95% high is still just a little lower than we would like.

Do not float the birds over your sight. Look at the birds and just let the gun shoot when it is ready.

Pat Ireland

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

piranha2, if this is an ongoing saga and you've posted abut it on another thread, I missed it.

Anyway, you have not supplied enough information to help. Does the barrel use choke tubes? If yes, did you try other tubes to see if the were better or worse? What tube did you use to get "95%"? What does 95% actually signify?

Suppose you actually shot from a bench rest @ 25 yards with a good full choke. Well, the size of your pattern would be about the size of a basketball (not counting fringe hits). If so, the center of your pattern was about 5-6" above your Point of Aim @ 25 yards. That puts you at 8-10" high @ 40 yards. I just recently moved my setup Down to that level.

So, try it again, closer. Shoot between 13 and 20 yards, because it will be easier to determine pattern centers with more open chokes. Shoot each choke from a rest, aiming at small visible aiming points on the board. Shoot each choke at least 3 times. Five would be better. Average the results and compare offsets. With my Beretta, I found that none of the three barrels shot to the same POI with the same sight picture, and only two of the six choke tubes supplied shot to the same spot in any one barrel. Briley choke tubes solved the choke problem, but I still could not get used to the barrels shooting to different places, so I sold the gun.

If you find your barrel still shoots higher than you like, you have several good hardware fixes suggested above. You also have Pat's suggestion.

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

First off, I owned a Beretta like you are talking about. Second if you are down on the wood far enough to stack the beads, and your 95% high.......SELL IT. I will be flat out honest........you should NOT be this low on ANY gun anyway, and it being 95% high it is double whammy...........SELL IT!!!! [get a gun where you look]

GS

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I think I would shoot well with this gun.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

maclellan1911- Not me. I want my gun to shoot 100% high.

Pat Ireland

11. IM390

IM390 Member

I hate to ask a stupid question, but why not just change the shim(s) in the back of the stock?

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, Pat's average is probably higher than 90% of the OTHER yahoo's who post here, claiming to give expert advice...

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What kind of gun?

If a single barrel, bent barrel?

If an o/u, which barrel?

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

For what it is worth, my overall current average for all three events is 89.75 (based on an ATA invitation to participate in the National Team Race). My current singles average is 96.1, it should be much better. I am typically classified as A 27 A, but based on recent scores have been classified AA 27 A. I do not think this is at all important but "wrench", whoever that is, does believe it is important.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.