1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI how to change

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copper, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

I have a very old trap book that talks about the rings inside the barrel and changing the POI by being honed at certain angle. How is this done and how about the cost. thanks Dave

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I'm curious too. My old 16 ga double prints right on with left barrel and left and low with the right barrel.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

A good barrel man can change the POI . They have a formula to compute the angle of the dangle of the POI that you want.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ifthe rings are concentric the barrel will shoot straight. HMB

5. copper

copper Member

Kind of knew dynamics was fishing for rough price anyone ever had this done. Dave

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Last I recall Wilkinson, Allor and Eyster charge $300 to $400 per barrel. Bill Malcolm

7. copper

copper Member

PATS gunsmithing offers this I see, Have had him do other work great guy to deal with none better Dave

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

hmb, that's not always true guy. If the rib is mis-aligned on a single barrel, it can't shoot straight even if the barrel is perfectly straight and true. Same thing with an ill regulated O/U or sidexside, the barrels have to be regulated at 40 yards for a proper barrel regulation. Honing choke tubes to alter the POIs may be the cheapest route to take. I own a couple of what I call "Monday" guns that shoot to different POIs with both barrels also but I don't like that at all! You can buy Monday guns from the best maker out there too!

Hap

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When you get a Monday gun, you could be out of luck with certain manufactures. They will tell you the gun shoots well according to their specs. The problem is that their specs are sometimes way too generous for trap shooting.

Phil Berkowitz

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Phil, you are absolutely right! Some of their specs don't even come close to a proper barrel/rib/bead regulation at 40 yards!! In such cases, their specs sux!

Hap

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Squibb, if a gun shoots in the wrong place, that's how to fix it as long as it's a single-barrel. I've done many that way and never regretted it, since a off-shooting gun is just a hunk of useless metal, no matter what its cost. A $5000 gun that shoots right is worth something; a defective one isn't.

Here's the tool I use

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

and if the factories don't clean up their quality control soon, they are going to end up killing my tree!

Neil

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Hap,

Good barrel, bad rib. Barrel makers would bend the barrels and consider the barrel straight when the rings were concentric. HMB

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil uses a tree to bend his barrels. Some of the very best, or at least most expensive guns ($30,000 + ) have their barrels straighten by a skilled worker whacking the barrel against a firm block of wood.

Pat Ireland

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep, Pat, that's true... matter of fact, that was the origination of the term "I've got a woody"

of course, meaning a barrel straightened using a firm block of wood...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.