1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have a new Browing XT and have been following Neil's directions on finding the proper point of aim.
    When carefully shooting at 13 yards, the small pattern hit about 3 inches to the left of the aim point.
    when shooing at 35 yards, the center of the pattern is at least 12 inches to the left of the aim point. I have an adjustable comb but moving it left, does not seem to have an effect on the center of the shot pattern.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    John

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Moving the comb to the left will likely tend to make the gun shoot more to the left. Move the comb in the direction you'd like the POI to go. Or, am I missing something?.......breakemall

3. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Sorry BDodd, dumb typo on my part, I meant that I moved the cheek piece to the right.,,Thanks for catching that.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Have the barrel checked, there is something bad wrong if what your saying is true ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

1/8 " for comb movement equals approx 4 " at 40 yds. Sounds like you will have to move a bunch if what you stated is accurate! Tom Rhoads

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hmmm, then I agree with my ol' buddy, WPT......breakemall

Oh, are you shooting through a choke tube? If so, try another tube or two.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Then, Tom's (my other buddy) got a dandy point too!

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It sounds like your gun has a problem. But inorder to answer your question we need more information. When your gun shoots to the left are the beads lined up vertically? Does the gun have screw in chokes? When you move the comb to the right are the beads lined up vertically? HMB

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You are shooting off a benchh rest right???

Wayne

10. perga1

perga1 Active Member

If after you move the comb you force your face into the stock to see the same sight pic as you did before, a common error, then you will get the same POI. If your pattern is 12" left at 35 yards with the beads aligned, and both beads are physically centered in the rib then send it back to Browning, you have a problem. Of course this is after you rule out a bad choke. JRM

11. Beni

Beni Member

Its the choke tube I had 2 midas" tubes shoot 3" low left in my cynergy at 13 yds. Installed a flush mount tube and hit where it was aimed, something to try beni

12. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

If your beads line up down the center of the rib and it shoots that far to the left, send it back to browning. They have a three inch tolerance at the factory. If it is more than three inches they will replace the barrels according to their gunsmith at the factory. I called them because a new browning that I bought shot 1 1/4 inches to the left at 13 yards and thats when I found out that they have the 3 inch tol. p or - at 40 yards. Send or take it to the factory if you are sure where it shoots with the beads lined up.

Dave

13. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

It shoots that far to the left regardless of what choke I have in it. I am shooting off a bench just like bench rest centerfire target shooting. I will contact Browning and see if they will help me out.

I thank all of you for your suggestions.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

With a nuetral stock and a big face, it could take up to a 1/4" comb movement to get you centered up. How far have you moved the comb?

15. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have a thin face and have moved the comb about an 1/8 to a 1/4"
    Should I try to move the comb all the way over to the right. That seems a little extreme.

16. Setterman

Yes. Do it before you contact the manufacturer. It will give them an idea of what your experiencing. Are you tall?

17. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I will try moving it over further. I will give it a try first thing in the morning and see what happens.
    To answer you question, I am about 6"1"
    Please check in tomorrow morning and I will let you know how it turns out.

thanks again

18. Setterman

The reason I asked about being tall: If you don't have pronounced cheak bones, you may be rolling over the stock and compensating for the comb movement. Move the comb over and see how the beads line up and where it shoots.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you have your beads perfectly aligned one behind the other and it still shoots to the left, send the gun back to Browning, they should fix it or replace it, if it is a new gun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. jayco32

jayco32 TS Member

Moving the comb right or left is only to get the beads to line up when you shoulder the gun. If it does not shoot straight then it is No Good. I once had an XT that shot 10 inches to the left at 40 yards. Needless to say I no longer own it. I now have an XT top single combo and all three barrels shoot dead on. As stated above, Send it back to Browning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.