1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI/Gun Fit Question & Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miner1, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miner1

miner1 Member

History: New Citori Trap w/Monte Carlo stock purchased in 1987 (age 29) with no thought to gun fit etc... Blasted a few thousand rounds, had fun, maybe ran 50 or 75 straight once, not much improvement, had two children, life got busy.......

Shot a couple hunderd rounds about 13 years later with poor results, busy again, you know how the story goes.

Present: 51 years old and have the bug again and would like to shoot more in the future (living 100 miles round trip from trap range a problem) So, my point (finally) is gun fit/selection. I'm sure most of the top hot rod shooters are where they are because of talent, practice, and proper gun fit. Oh, $$$ doesn't hurt either. My Citori was a whopping $700 when I bought it, but my pride and joy at the time. When I shoulder the gun, I have a lot of space between the beads and other than a great seminar from Phil Kiner, I have never had any individual instruction or advice on gun fit. Phil's class was GREAT, but not enough time for indivdual instruction.

This forum is a great way to at least keep up my enthusiasm and drive to continue forward and someday jump 'whole hog' into this sport. In the meantime, can the folks here explain POI and gun fit so I know how to proceed. I see a high end gun in my future that is professionaly fit to me, but I realize the gun is only 1/2 the battle. Sorry for the long post, but I really want to learn all I can while living in a rural area with no trap range at my disposal.

Thanks all!

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

miner1- To give complete answers to your questions would require many pages of written instructions. I will just give a few brief ideas. Check your POI and see if your guns shoots flat, a bit high or a lot high and make sure it is not shooting to the right or left. After you have done that, forget about what you found out until you are on the 24 yard line.

The space between the mid bead and front bead has nothing to do with gun fit. Ignore it. At this time, the most important thing you should be concerned about with regard to gun fit, it recoil to your face. If you don't have a lot, your gun fits OK.

Then, you need to figure out a way to shoot a registered ATA shoot at least once a week. By the end of the year, things will have fallen in place for you.

Pat Ireland

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

You see a lot of rib because your cheekbones are too low on your cheek - too far below your eyes. Major facial reconstruction surgery would solve the problem if you survive the procedure. (Choose one of the well-dressed surgeons hawking their talents on a street corner to have the best chance of a tolerable result.

Your low cheekbones cause your eye to be too far above the rib. This causes your gun to shoot higher than its point of aim. (The center of the pattern is well above where you think it should be if you carefully aim the gun at a stationary target without mashing your cheek to get your eye down so it will vertically align with the surface of the rib.

If reconstruction surgery is out of the question, that leaves you with two alternatives. One is to remove wood from the top of the stock, the comb, to allow your eye to be lower when you mount the gun. This, in my opinion, is not the best choice unless you have a very short neck. (That may make little sense but believe me, it's true.)

The other choice, which is usually the better one would be to install what's known as an add-on rib. This is a rib of either metal or delrin plastic that attached to your existing rib with and adhesive, often double-sided tape. Add-on ribs have been used successfully for years.

If that interests you, it is possible to determine how high the add-on rib needs to be by using wood strips instead of an actual rib. The wood can be tow strips on on the front of the existing rib and one on the back or it can be a single piece of wood, balsa from a hobby shop or an old ebony, violin finger-(fret?)board.

You can experiment with different heights until you are looking only slightly down-onto the rib with the gun mounted. You will need to pattern your gun find how hight above the point of aim the center of the pattern is. Neil Winston's 13 yard patterning distance is the one to use. The hole made by the pattern is small and easy to measure its distance from the 8" "+" which is used as the patterning aiming point. Use a good rest so your shots are accurate. You can then extrapolate to determine how high the gun will shoot (the center of the pattern will be) at 33 yards (average target shooting distance).

That leaves you with the decision of how high you want your gun to shoot and that is impossible for me to determine. The speed of your vertical swings to targets is a factor as is the distance you shoot them from the house, which generally decreases with shooting experience.

I suggest you set the height of the rib so you are looking only very slightly down onto the rib with the gun mounted and if you have two beads on your rib, so they stack in a figure-8 pattern. This will allow you to hit targets without having to cover them with the muzzle, a decided advantage when shooting rising targets.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to call me in Wisconsin at (920) 464-0124, anytime.

Rollin

4. miner1

miner1 Member

I knew I'd get some whacky answers, but facial reconstruction! Ouch! Thanks for the tips so far. I get to Tomah, WI once in awhile so you never know.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

miner. Any time you want help with this, holler.

You'll need a new gun and a half hour wiht me, but then you are off to the races.

Tomah is just around the bend

Jack

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Contact MIA/Jack (above). He will do a first class job for you (and Tomah has only conventional facial reconstruction surgeons and they aren't allowed to hawk their services on street-corners anymore. This was from a cousin who used to find retina surgery patients for his clinic, Retinal Surgery and Screen Door Repair, LLC.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

poigun