1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI for Adjustable Comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DustyOne60, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I purchased a BT100 for Trapshooting. 34" BBl Monte Carlo Stock. It didn't
    have enough cast off for me. I had an adjustable comb installed and now I am
    wondering where to set the inital height for Mid-Handicap (24 yds) competition.

Ready to go to the club to pattern and set the adjustable comb. Could use some
    guidance on how high the pattern should be.

Thanks in advance!
  2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    You probably should start with beads stacked and put on the pattern board and then raise it one nylon washer thinkness and put it on the board again. Go shoot it with the lower setting at 16 & 25 yards, if you smoke targets leave it alone, if not add the washer and see what happens. The pattern board will give a reference point for poi and you will have experiment to get it where you're looking.

Others may have different suggestions

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Aug 15, 2007
    How high the POI should be depends entirely upon you. There is no "set" POI for any given distance. Only what works for you. Some folks are perfectly happy and comfortable with a 60-40, some might like 90-10 (or even higher) and some like somewhere in between. I basically shoot somewhere around 70-30, regardless of yardage because that is what works for me. Might not work for you.

Best advice I was given was by AverageEd who noted that the way he set POI was to shoot from station 3 at a fixed straight away trap, and adjust the POI until he got the breaks he wanted. Just what that POI was wasn't the important part, but that he got the breaks he was looking for, thus the gun was pointing where he was looking.

Jim R
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.