1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI for 16 vs 27 yard

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipped1, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

For those that have earned their way back to the fence -- did you adjust your comb height and if so by how much?

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My comb is set (and locked) for singles, doubles and 'caps at the same adjustment.

Due to a eye dominance problem and having a vision obscurement on my left lens, I consider myself a quasi one shooter where my initial starting point is on the top front of the traphouse. I will only adjust that if wind conditions require it.

Curt

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I went from 20 to the 27 in 2 years a long time ago. I did it with the same POI for 16 and for handicap. Its all in the eyes. If you see it....and stay focused on it....it breaks. Playing with POI is just a good way to stay confused. My 2 cents.

4. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I'm 27yds., and I believe handicap comb height is somewhat dependant on how you shoot the targets. If you hold a "high gun", you probably need a higher shooting gun, 80/20 or better. If you hold just below the roof and "quickly" track your birds, you can do very well with a 60/40 or perhaps a 70/30.

I use the later method at the present time as I do not like to shoot under the hard left or rights fom post 1 and 5. I absolutely do not look at the beads after my gun hold is set, I look hard at the front edge of the target, and swing "to" on the straights, a bit to the side on the quarter angles, and a through on the hard angles.

I'm right handed and I love all right targets. When I'm on 1, I don't want to start binding up on a left, so my foot position definetly favors the left. If I get a straight away, I just slow down a bit and look hard at the target, and know I'm going to do a little follow through on that target, i.e. stay with it.

This is not to say this is the best way to shoot, but just some ideas/techniques you may want to try during practice. The main thing is that the gun shoots where you look, of course.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Some adjustment for the effects of gravity on the shot string needs to be made. The amount depends on your shooting style. HMB

6. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

wow shooter R, I like the way your explain. I bet you shoot as well as you talk. Thanks for some simple, straight forward advice.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use the same POI for both the 16 and 27. One has to make a concession. I'm below the 16 yard targets and right on or a little above 27 yard targets. That's the only way it works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

different poi for handi cap 16 yard

poi for 16 yard singles

poi for 22 yard handicap shooting

poi for 27 yard shooter