1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI Changes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bemils, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bemils

bemils TS Member

Does mounting the stock higher on you shoulder change your point of impact? If so would you say it would make it higher or lower?

The reason I ask, if I mount the gun high on my shoulder I hit more tagets than if I mount it lower. The problem is the higher mount is uncomfortable and beats up my shoulder.

Bryan

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

As I understand the theory, the thing that changes POI is the relationship between your eye and the stock. If mounting the stock higher on your shoulder forces you to change your face on the stock then you have changed your eye position. The key is to be consistant with a mount that does not negatively affect your neck, face, shoulder, etc. Comfortable and consistant with a good head position that allows you to see a sight picture and bead/bird relationship that breaks birds is the goal, right???

JON

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

Bryan:

The further up your shoulder the toe of the butt is,,,the "flatter" you shoot!!! So,,it makes the POI lower....

That should also tell you volumnes about your shooting style!!!! You would do better with a 60/40 or 70/30 set-up,,,You are "shooting where you look".....

AKA Grammie.........

4. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

I also would like to shoot with the gun higher on my shoulder but it feels like I will drop it. Mounting lower will cause you to overshoot in general but the "sight picture" will also change. If you keep the same eye/rib configuration, you should shoot in the same place.

5. bemils

bemils TS Member

Grammie & Devil, so to mount the gun lower and keep the same POI, everything else being equal, I would need to lower the comb?

Bryan

6. grammie

grammie TS Member

Well,,,you can lower the comb,,or,,if you have a adjustable re-coil pad lower it as well...

You said you hit more targets the higher on your shoulder you hold,,,but it hurts!!!

Right now,,,you don't like shooting one way,,and the other way hurts,,,your gun is not fitting you right!!!

If you lower the comb,,you are going to have to put the toe of the stock higher on your shoulder anyway or you will be scrunching your head down like a turtle to make things line up...

Do you have an adjustable re-coil pad????? That just may be your anwser without getting another stock....

AKA Grammie........

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Bryan:

It seems that you are shooting a gun that does not fit you. That fact is corrupting at least the gun mount portion of your shooting form.

A poorly fitting stock is one of the few reasons you would prefer to mount your gun so high on your shoulder or get better results doing it. It is possible that your neck is too long for the drop at the heel your stock has.

Rollin