1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI change with Briely chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I asked Briley to make chokes for an already-threaded Briley-choked barrel to move the POI up and over about four inches each and they did.

Neil

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If memory serves, they can change POI approx. 6". They will require you to relay what you want them to do. They are precise! Yes I have had it done.

3. X-FACTOR

X-FACTOR TS Member

Thank you Neil and Pheasantmaster for your comments.

x-factor

4. X-FACTOR

X-FACTOR TS Member

Ordered an eccentric choke from Briley this afternoon. Specified that I wanted them to start with an extra full choke and make it shoot as high as possible. Ted at Briley thought they could make it shoot at least 8 inches higher. Will pattern with my concentric chokes and compare.

x-factor

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You sent them the barrel, didn't you x-f?

Neil

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

7. X-FACTOR

X-FACTOR TS Member

Neil,

Briley did not ask me to send the barrel. I asked them if they were sending me an extra full choke for me to install in my barrel and mark the top dead center and return to them. They said that all they needed was the choke series number (S-26) and the bore size (.730). They said to have confidence in their manufacturing experience and that they knew what they were doing. My background as a tooling and methods engineer kinda makes me wonder. They would have to have exact measurements on the end of their lead screw in relationship to their end stop exactly the same on all of their S-26 chokes. What do you think? Has anyone on this site sent their barrels to Briley. Pheasentmaster, do you remember sending your barrel to Briley. All I had to do was give them my VISA number and they said that in about three weeks, I would have an excentric high shooting extra full choke.

X-factor

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For extended chokes a couple of thin shim washers would enable such a choke to fit correctly. This would require the choke seating on the end of the barrel rather than completely filling the threads.

I haver no such chokes but this should work.

HM

9. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

XFactor - I would suggest talking to Jimmy Williams @ Briley, if you haven't already - he is the resident guru on this. He did 2 ext. chokes for me and I was pleased with the results. IMHO to do a complete job, send him the poi patterns @ approx. 16 yds. with at least an imp. mod. choke, and send the choke you used along with your gun. He can come pretty close to what you want.

10. X-FACTOR

X-FACTOR TS Member

110% high with Briley Eccentric Chokes

I have just completed my testing of two Briley Eccenctric Chokes. I asked them
    to make the chokes shoot as high as possible. After patterning two boxes
    of shells, this is my results.

Model 12 with Briley Extended Thin Wall Choke (light full) 80/20 high
    Model 12 with Briley Eccentric Thin Wall Choke (extra full) 110% high

Browning BT-99 with Invector Plus Choke (light full) 60/40 high
    Browning BT-99 with Briley Eccentric Choke (extra full) 110% high

I patterned everything at 35 yds and the above percentages are as
    close as I could estimate. My contact at Briley was Ted.

E-mail if you have any questions

x-factor

11. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

I have been thinking about getting this done for awhile. What did Briley charge for the Inv+ eccentric tube?

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

bump for a good read.

13. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

I have been thinking about getting this done for awhile. What did Briley charge for the Inv+ eccentric tube?

Am I not supposed to ask this? Just saves a call to Briley..

14. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Just talked to Ted.. He qouted me $75 for an extended LF tube.

15. X-FACTOR

X-FACTOR TS Member

Was a good way to adjust the impact on my BT-99 without adding an
    adjustable comb. My stock fit was good for cast, I only needed more
    impact height. My singles score went from 65 to 95 only changing
    to the Briley Eccentric Choke.

X-factor

16. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Assuming the choke tube extends from the end of the barrel, it would have to be bent or formed in a slight upward shape. What effect does the impact of the shot charge have on the choke upon hitting the upslope? Over a period of time? Would seem to remove the bend, putting the shot back where it was before.

Neil...do you take your targets at exactly the same distance each time? How can you? But moving shot to the right or left a set amount would be good only for one fixed distance from the gun, yes?

17. X-FACTOR

X-FACTOR TS Member

CharlesR1100, I had two chokes made. The Model 12 choke was an extended
    Thinwall Briley Eccentric Choke and the one for the Browning BT-99 was an Invector Plus Flush mounted choke. The outside diameter and threads are
    exactly the same as the original choke dimensions, only the straight section
    of the choke is modified to change the impact or the left or right direction of the shot as required.

I believe a benefit of building impact in your choke will also reduce the
    upward barrel jump similar to having your barrels ported. I know that
    Neil will agree, its just Physics.

X-factor

18. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Good thread... I thought the only way to change POI was via a comb adjustment or a rib adjustment... Very interesting ....

19. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Well, I guess I do not understand. Is the choke tube completely within the gun barrel so that nothing extends past the end of the barrel?

I assumed these chokes were extended chokes threaded in the barrel with the end of the choke extending past the end of the barrel. (Like the K Ti choke tubes in appearance.) But only the extended portion deflected up or to the side.

Or are you stating the choke end is flush with the end of the barrel? And all the deviation of pattern (up/down/right/left) is done there? Hard to immagine.

Yes, I would think that pushing up the POI would push down the barrel end and reduce slap. But not much.

Anyway, hope Neil can clear-up the right/left issue. Also the choke would have to be indexed exactly to the same location when on the barrel.

Presumably, if the choke deviated the pattern to the left, backing it out a half turn would cause it to shoot to the right. Quarter turn, up etc.

20. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

One other point. I interchange my K choke tubes between a KX-5 and a K80. Are the Briley choke tubes that change POI interchangeable, or are they limited to just one barrel on one gun?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley choke tubes to move poi
briley eccentric chokes
briley excentrix choke

briley poi change

can choke tubes change poi
does poi change with briley choke tubes