1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI change - up or down?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smp005, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smp005

smp005 Member

If you allow your stock to move up on your shoulder, raising the "rear sight" will that tend to make your gun shooter flatter?

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Not really unless it is a very pronouned mismount of the gun. This is because you are not really raising the rear sight which is your eye. POI is determined by the triangle that is established by 3 points. Your eye, the center of your primer and the point out in front of the muzzle where the line from the primer, through the center of the bore, intersects with the line from your eye through the top of your front bead. The length of the back line of this triangle is created when you press your cheek bone down on your comb.

Sliding the gun up in your shoulder pocket a bit will be absorbed by stretching your neck. However, as long as you can stretch it without lifting your cheek off the comb or sliding the comb from beneath your cheek bone, you will maintain the same POI triangle.

So, if you don't slide the gun so much that you can't maintain the same sight picture as in the amount of rib you see between your mid and front bead, your POI won't change. Felt recoil might though as you are changing the guns pitch.

3. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

So if I am looking at a figure 8 on beads........then mis mount gun and see rib between beads...My POI will be higher???

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

That is true. You have increased the upward angle of the boreline in relation to the line from your eye through your front bead. That is why you can see ribspace between the two beads. The greater the angle, the more rib you will see assuming a fixed rib gun.

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

NSXER - It matters little what you do with the recoil pad as long as you maintain the same sight picture, the POI will not change though the gun will become more comfortable to shoot.

FYI, there is an instructor that comes well recommended in Squim:

http://www.sunnydellshootinggrounds.com/

I have yet to make an appointment with all of this rainy weather this spring.

Mike in SE Everett

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

True NSXER. Do a search on here for some of the threads about using a 13 yard target to setup your POI. Neil Winston has some great stuff on it.

My personal preference is to have 100% of my pattern hit above my point of aim at 35 yards. I figure if I am going to keep the target above my bead, I don't need any pellets hitting below that.

Mike is right on the pad angle.

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

JBrooks;

Are you not assuming (in keeping the entire pattern above the point of aim) that the density of shot in the fringe of the pattern is the same or as effective as the density in the core?

Are you not also disallowing a break with a slightly high shot, i.e. a sight picture with too little distance between the bead and the target?

Rollin

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I shoot a LF for 16 that gives me a sure kill pattern of about 22-24 inchs at 35 yards. It is this kill pattern to which I refer. I may get a few flyers below the POA. My patterns show a fairly even distribution of pellets with random hotspots of density. I consider a hotspot a target size area with 8-12 pellets.

Even with a 100% pattern I seem to fire as the bead touches the target on a true straight from 3 but will finish the upward swing past the break. The target is always going to rise into the pattern POI. On slight angles I come up beside and even with the target on the leading edge side.

I should also note that since I converted to one eye I hold the bead just below the house edge and outside the emergence points because I look into the center, right at the edge of the roof for the target so that I can pick it up quickly without seeing a streak. It makes it real easy just to lift the gun to the target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.