1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI change by lower comb and/or front bead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I get a little daffy every time I try to reason this out. Lowering the comb brings the beads closer and results in a POI higher/lower?

Also, by raising the front bead will do what?

My reasoning is this: lower the comb and the beads come closer together resulting in a POI that results in a 60/40 and, conversely, raising the comb will make the POI 70/30 or so. By raising the front bead, the same will occur.
    Correct me if I am wrong..

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Exactly. Higher comb=higher POI. Higher bead=lower poi. The reverse is also true in both cases.

3. Cynergytrap

Cynergytrap TS Member

raise the comb = raise the POI
    lower the combe = lower the POI

raise the front bead = lower the POI
    lower the front bead = raise the POI

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

FRANKTRI: Sighting the beads, burying the middle bead into the front bead the gun will shoot lower.

Increase the distance between the middle bead and the front bead by raising the comb equals a higher Point of Impact.

And the reverse will lower the POI

I personally cannot shoot a shotgun with space between the beads, or as in another way I cannot shoot off the front of the Bbl.

I never could shoot that way, and this old dog cannot learn any new tricks.

I rifle sight my beads, middle bead is deep into the front bead, I hold under the target while tracking it for sight picture and follow through letting go of the release trigger and this is done in tenths of seconds. I do not ride a target.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Since you eye is the rear sight on a shotgun, remember this acronym for moving the sights (POI) on all guns....FORS

FRONT sight OPPOSITE---REAR sight SAME

If you want POI higher, move front sight down, or rear sight up.

If you want POI to move left, move front sight right, or rear sight left.

Wayne

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

But. . .

Say you set your teeter-totter-rib Perazzi up for singles with the front of the rib about as high as it goes and a bit of space between the beads. You don't want to bother with all that comb hardware and you are the kind of person who wants a handicap gun shooting a bit higher than at 16, so you tilt the rib down one notch in front (and up one notch in back to match) when you move back.

You have set up a case a case where _less_ space between the beads leads to a higher shooting gun, haven't you?

Neil

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Neil in Reality no, you did not move the comb to obtain the same sight pictue you had for the 16s..

Neil back about 10 years ago I shot a TM-1 Special, For handicap I added one more 1/8th inch spacer which gave me a figure 8 Sight picture.

I won that baby calcutta 17 weeks in a row breaking all 25 targets, 10-16s and 15 hdcp from the 25 yard line.

I raised the POI about 4 inches.

I don't think I could do that today.

I taught this to Ohio Lady that was selected to the all Ohio Team, by using this
    adjustment technique.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

That's just my point, Gary. I did not move the comb because I wanted to obtain my slightly-higher point of impact by using the teeter-totter rib (only). I'm one who does not care how the beads "stack" or not.

I still think, "in reality," I _did_ get a higher point of impact even though I was now seeing _less_ space between the beads. This, you will realize, is against everything you read here. . .

Of course, I could have it wrong. I'll admit that the above was only my plan. In fact, moving the rib and the comb was so frustrating I just locked the rib in "high" and did the rest with the comb. It was just easier.

Neil

9. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

All you are doing is tipping the gun up when you raise the comb, and lowering it when you raise the bead. Both in relation to where you look in relation to where the gun shoots.

10. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Neil,

Interesting question, something to think about on a Saturday morning.

I guess it all depends on what part of the gun your brain uses to as a reference to determine target/gun relationship.

I can see your idea working if your targeting computer uses the end of the barrel to determine where the gun is located. Drop the bead at the front of the barrel and it is going to shoot higher.

If on the other hand the reference is gun in totality; rib, barrels, receiver, as a unit then it probably will not work.

I have wondered why some folks are so taken with various wide rib designs. I suspect it is because they are using the totality of the upper surfaces of the gun as their reference. Curiously a lot of the no-bead adherents shoot wide ribbed guns?

I always got a laugh out of Beretts's Quick Sighting Target Acquisition Rib strada rib, but now that I think about it may make sense for some folks.

In either case raising the comb will raise point of impact. But changing bead size would only affect those whose brains use the end of barrel?

I can only speculate since I do not have an adjustable rib gun to play with. Of there is no dearth inane speculation here anyway, might as well add my own.

Michael Goines

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The second, third and fourth posts got it right. Neil is also correct. He lowered the bead while keeping the comb the same. That equals a higher POI. The fact that he sees less space between the beads is an consequence of the rib type he is using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

doesraisingcombonshotgunlowerimpact

front bead change to change poi

higher bead poi

lowering poi on shotgun

lowering the comb on a shotgun

raising and lowering the comb on a shotgun

raising front sight of trapgun

will raising the comb on a shotgun lower the point of impact