1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI at various yardages

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

Can someone tell me the distance used by the various gunmakers to determine a gun's POI? As an example, my gun has an adjustable rib that goes from 80/20 up to 110% high. Through a lot of shooting and adjusting it to suit, I currently have it set at 100% so I know it supposedly shoots a full pattern high...but at what distance? I am in process of setting up another gun and would like to speed up the process by eliminating all of the trial and error shooting I did before. I intend to pattern the #1 gun at 20yds and measure where the center of the pattern strikes the board, then match that with the new gun.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

40 yards. HMB

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Just like choke constriction, presume nothing with what manufactures state. Spend the time finding out what the new one does in relation to existing. It may very well prove a valid time expenditure for your future shooting effectiveness.

4. John55

John55 Active Member

Thanks guys. I just patterned the #1 gun at 20yds and the center of the pattern was 8" above aim point...that will give me a reference on how/where I need the new gun to shoot.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A guess may depend on what the second gun might be? The first sounds like it may be a Seitz, if the second is a model 12, you'll find there's a difference between the two POIs that work the same for you and your timing when it fires. The differences between those two guns won't show up on paper if set to the same POI but certainly will on a moving clay for you.

Hap

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What if the speed of the trigger (lock time) is different? What effect will that have on your results at the line with real targets?

7. John55

John55 Active Member

Hap,
    Good guess on gun #1, it is a Seitz! The new gun is a Perazzi TM9X that I am hoping will prove to be a good stand in for the Seitz.
    I'm sure the lock time on the Seitz is faster than the Perazzi, but how that will affect where the gun actually shoots can only be determined on the line while shooting real targets. My guess is the faster lock time would allow a somewhat lower POI, but I have no way to prove that right now.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A faster lock time may require a higher POI. As you bring your gun up to the target, it will release the load sooner, so technically the gun would shoot flatter. Keys words are "may" an "technically".

9. John55

John55 Active Member

You could be correct but shooting the gun at the range is really the only way I will know.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.