1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI and bead line up?????????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bgf, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgf

bgf Active Member

I need help. I just got a BT100 with adj.comb and Counter Coil system. I have taken the damper out of the recoil system The comb is cut length wise on the short side. The stock is non-Monte Carlo. As a lefty, I have had to move the comb all the way to the left...looking down on the comb...to line up the beads. Here is the problem...the rear cut for the comb...on the stock portion...hits me right on my left jaw line causing an abrasion. Now I have become sensitive to this ouch and am flinching. It does cause bleeding after one round of singles.

My question is if I ignore the center bead and move the comb back over to a more straight position will my POI change? Obviously the beads will not line up in this position. I know some shoot without beads. I do not stack them. I only use them for gun canting on the house and when I shoot I see only the bird...not the beads.

Or, is there a fix? A new stock is not an option. I am open to suggestions.

Bernie
    PS; This is my third BT100 and this is the only one where I have run into this problem.

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

We've had this discussion many, many times, so at the expense of repeating it, here goes.

Forget about bead line-up. Lining up beads is an old wives tale, passed on by club house talk. You ONLY line up the beads to determine if you are canting the gun. Once you have that solved, you no longer need the center bead.

The POI is solely determined by the height of your comb and your line-of-sight to the FRONT bead. As you raise the comb, you are in effect lowering the butt-stock, which "tilts" the barrel up more, causing a higher POI.

It's that simple and, honestly, there really is no other function of the middle bead in shooting other to make sure the gun fits you. Once you've determined that it does, then forget it.

I shoot a very high Perazzi. You should see the amout of rib between the two beads. Most guys who shoulder my guns, just shake their heads and say how can you shoot this thing. What they don't realize is that because I shoot so quickly, I can get away with a higher POI, AND less vertical gun movement. Watch Ray Stafford shoot...

You have everything you need; a good gun with an adjustable stock.

There are also other considerations on the slope of the comb BOTH up-and-down, AND left-to-right, but's that's another story.

IMHO.

Whiz White

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

get a different stock with naTURAL LEFT HAND CAST!

STEVE BALISTRERI

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use a wood rasp and some sand paper to remove the part of the stock that is hurting you. Also pattern the gun from a rest at 13 yards to make sure it is shooting straight. HMB

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"You ONLY line up the beads to determine if you are canting the gun."

I think that canting a gun is when you rotate the gun around an axis between the bore centerline and the rib centerline putting the two on a slant to the vertical. In that the beads are points on the rib centerline they would still line up no matter how much you canted the gun.

What the center bead does is to help determine if your eye is aligned with the centerline of the rib and consequently with the centerline of the bore.

6. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Or a PFS

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Whiz, you wrtoe :The POI is solely determined by the height of your comb and your line-of-sight to the FRONT bead. As you raise the comb, you are in effect lowering the butt-stock, which "tilts" the barrel up more, causing a higher POI."

That's partially true for vertical, but totally wrong for horizontal, which is what Bernie is asking about. If the gun shoots straight with the beads lined up, it _won't_ shoot straight when the beads aren't lined up because it won't be _pointed_ straight anymore.

He needs to file down the part that hurts if the stock fits otherwise. Otherwise he needs a new stock or a different gun.

Neil

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I would try to bend some cast on, I agree with miketmx.

tony

9. bgf

bgf Active Member

Heh all,

I just checked and the stock does have a slight cast-off to it. Right hand shooter. First BT100 I have seen with a cast either way. Palm swell yes, but not a cast.

Even if I shave and sand, I still have a cast-off stock. Dang........

If I have it bent for cast-on [left hand shooter] who can do it and what is the going rate?

BTW, they do not make a PFS for a BT100 that I know of.

Or, just sell the thing. Has a great release trigger.

Bernie

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil is absolutely correct. You must be looking straight down the barrel and the mid bead can be a check of this.

Bernie- It does sound as if you have a stock that does not fit you.

Pat Ireland

11. bgf

bgf Active Member

Pat,

I agree completely. Now I have to decide whether to get a new/used stock or sell the gun. Dang........

Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bead line up for shooting trap

how to line up the beads on a shotgun for trap shooting