1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Poi advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jd288, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd288

jd288 TS Member

My BT 99 shoots 3in. high at 13 yds. Would that be 70-30. Also will I be able to float the bird with that poi. or should I be under bird a bit? Advice appreciated.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The only way to find out the answers to your questions is to shoot some straight awaya from station 3. HMB

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

hmb is right on.

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

There really is no right way or wrong way to float the target. Some like a really high shooting gun to give them as much a view of the target as possible, others like the target just above, I even know a few who like to shoot right at the target (essentially covering it, with the gun shooting high enough to compensate for the rising bird of course). It is what works for you. As suggested, go to station 3, lock the machine for straight aways and shoot. Watch the breaks (or have someone watch for you). If the largest piece goes up, you are shooting low, if the largest piece goes down, then you are a bit high. Same for left and right. Either adjust gun or point of aim so that targets are centered in pattern for the most part, note where you are shooting in relation to target and then stick with that. Takes lots of practice of course.

Jim R

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Sorry!

I thought we were going to have a Hawaiian Luau!

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Jim and HMB are right. My BT-99 shoots 8 inches high at 35 yards. If I'm doing things right, with a straight away from station 3, the bird looks to be about 1/4 inch over my front sight when I squeeze the trigger. It is smoked. Wayne

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I read about "floating the bird" and what you contrast, jd288, being "under (the) bird a bit" and have to say I thought they were the same thing.

I always wonder "Why don't these guys just set up their guns so they can shoot right at the bird?"

Sure this is "covering it" (or a bit over or a bit under) but really, the shot has been sent on its way (or at least the signal to do so has been sent) by the time you cover it, so what difference does it make?

I once set a gun up like this - floating the bird - and shot the 200 In Iowa and hit them all, but it was so exhausting I was in no shape for the final. It's so much more "natural" to say nothing of easier to set a gun up so that when you shoot at it breaks I can't see the point in doing otherwise.

And, jd288, the answer to your question about percentage is no, but I'll leave it at that, and so should you. You know where it shoots, why work out an inaccurate percentage figure just so you can talk with people who haven't bothered to find out where their own guns shoot? All they are doing is using your work to improve their own shooting against you; why lend them a hand?

Neil

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It's just my personal view but I think most people can point their finger directly at a moving object much more accurately than guessing how far under to point! Especially newer shooters! Hap

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Always having the bird in sight helps me shoot better. I don't lift my head to see the bird. My left eye takes over much less often. It lets me hold high and make a much shorter move to target. It feels more natural. The price I pay is shooting over a straight away or two each event. That beats the alternative.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Neil,

Your Iowa story is very interesting. " I shot a 200 but was exhausted, I had to concentrate on every shot ". HMB

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is important to remember that measuring the POI simply tells us where the gun is shooting. That is a good first step. The next step is to figure out where you are shooting the gun. If one is floating the target, that means they have their sight in focus and can't clearly see the bird. They have to first change that bad habit and only look at the bird.

The POI should be checked, primarily to see if the gun is shooting right or left. Then set the gun around 3" high at 13 yards and shoot 1000 registered birds and figure out if the gun needs to go up or down a little. A shortcut is to take a good clinic. The best instructors can tell if you are shooting high or low with a few shots. Average and poor instructors can only give you average or poor advice.

It will surprise many, but changing a gun from 3" high to 4" high at 13 yards will have only a small effect on targets that are shot properly. Our patterns should have a 20" kill zone, and just outside of that is another 10" zone that will break a lot of targets. Moving these zones up or down three inches at 40 yards (ca 1 inch at 13 yards) cannot make an immediate major change.

Pat Ireland

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Why do you have to shoot 1000 registered birds? HMB

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

hmb

"Why do you have to shoot 1000 registered birds?"

Tell us is there anything that fits into your plan? It would seem that no matter what the topic no one's answer seem to satisfy you. So why don't you give the answers instead of criticize everyone else.

Bob Lawless

14. jd288

jd288 TS Member

Thanks guys for all the good advice. I will try some if not all of it. I do appreciate it.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your welcome. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.