1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI Advice - Pics For Review

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lboh, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lboh

lboh Member

Had a MC comb cut and HW added on a Browning XT that shot pretty flat before.

Pics below from 2 comb heights this afternoon. 1 1/8 #8 shot from ~27 yards using an IM choke.

Thoughts? Is 2nd too high?

lboh_2011_21067.jpg

lboh_2011_21068.jpg

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

No. Shoot some targets and see how it works, that's always the final solution.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Have someone stand to the side of the traphouse far enough away to be safe, and get an idea of how far out you break you targets, THEN pattern yoru gun at that distance.

The pattern above looks awfully tight if shot from the 27 at a distance as far out as mentioned in the first paragraph. What is the choke's restriction?

Also, you may want a higher POI than what is shown in your photo. I shoot at least an 100% high POI, but all is relative to how fast you shoot, how far away or close you break targets. Lots of vairables here to consider.

WW

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Whiz. Looks like a double exposure. some pellets going in and some bouncing back out thru the cardboard a second time. I vote for the first pattern

5. red hammer

red hammer Member

Wish mine was like that just stay right under target and you will have a smoke ball looks great

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

How many times did you shoot the paper? From a rest? One shot will not give you the real pattern unless you are rock solid in the pattern test.

Should use a full choke, but check you POI between both chokes and make sure they shoot the same place. At 27 yards you should have a 20"- 22" pattern on the paper.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The second pattern is right where you want it, just don't cover the target when you shoot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Probably want you would want for doubles, reversed! First pattern would be flat for second shot, second pattern high for first shot.

9. lboh

lboh Member

Thanks for replies.

I was standing and fired 3 rounds in the top pic and 2 in the second using a Browning Diamond Grade IM choke

In regards to the second picture. It was windy and my paper would not stay on the cardboard so i just fired into the cardboard. the reason the second looks like it is backwards is that it had logos and writing on the other side. For the picture I turned it around and marked the same spot

In regards to covering the target that is what i was running into last year and the reason I needed the adjustable comb. I saw way too many targets rise up as the shot flew below it.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You were standing, good, but how far back?

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And standing won't really tell you much. You need to shoot from a bench rest to really tell anything.

Too much variability when you stand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.