1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI Adjustment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bozkm, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bozkm

bozkm TS Member

Hello,
    I finally patterned my gun, and it seems to shoot low and to the right. Now that I know that, I am doing alot better in backyard trap shooting since I know how to compensate. Anyone have any recommendations how to fix this? Is there something I can buy that goes over the stock to push it away from my face a little, and down..hopefully causing the POI to go up and left which would center the pattern?

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You can either get out the sanding block, or send it to someone to install an adjustable comb. $180-$220.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Cabelas sells a leather comb that attaches by tightening the included leather laces around the gunstock. It will allow you to raise the comb to push your face away from the stock. Here is the link above. Leather cheek pad.---Matt

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

bozlm.... Have an adjustable comb installed on your gun. Problem solved. One question, however, did you shoot your poi off hand, or did you use a solid rest? Right handed shooters have a tendency to pull the gun to the right and down when they pull the trigger when not using a rest to check POI. The opposite is true for left handed shooters... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. bozkm

bozkm TS Member

Thanks. Yes, I was standing and shot off-hand and I am righthanded. Any recommendations on an adjustable comb manufacturer?

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Before we give any advice we need to sure you really did pattern it. Carefully. Pretty close. Off a rest. Several shots.

You did all that, right? Without that assurance, we've no idea what advice to give.

Neil

7. bozkm

bozkm TS Member

I guess I'm not understanding the value of shooting off a rest...I will never shoot off a rest. I shot the gun like I always would...standing. I patterned it from 20, 30 and 40 yards using different chokes, I even went to the extreme of shouldering fast and firing, and going real slow trying to make sure I didn't pull...all shots were noticably low and right..and once I knew that , I could hit targets knowing to aim left and high. I guess I can get my buddies gun vise if that is what is needed.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The value of a rest is to make sure the gun is shooting where you claim and not you causing it to do such. The guys that have attempted to help you are very knowledgable in solving/fixing your issue. No one suggested you shoot this way normally or in the future. It is simply a method of assuring the true POI. As for having a comb installed, it is not a do-it yourself job so listing a manufacturer is not the solution. A qualified gunsmith will do the job quickly and easily. I'm not sure of your location but i can suggest one from this site. The link is above. Tron charges $190. Normal cost is around $200. I would suggest taking the comb installation advice only after you have tried the POI check with a rest. If this advice is not want you wanted to hear, i doubt you'll get much help on this site.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

bozkm, a gun vice is not needed. The reason you were asked if you shot carefully, at close range, from a rest is to help determine where the problem lies. It could be your gun/barrel/choke tube that doesn't shoot straight. If so, you should consider fixing that first. Then, once you know your gun shoots straight, you can make it fit you.

There are two issues here. When I set a gun up, I want to know where IT shoots. So I set up on a bench and carefully aim at a dot 15 or 20 yards away. I shoot each choke tube and each barrel. At the end of the session I know if the barrels are converged properly, they shoot straight, and the choke tubes all print to the same POI.

After I know the gun shoots straight, I need to find out where I shoot the gun. So I set up 15 yards away from the pattern board. I stand just as I do when on the line, and trace vertical lines with my bead and fire whenever. I do the same with horizontal lines. Since I already know the gun shoots straight, I can make stock adjustments to correct as needed.

10. bozkm

bozkm TS Member

OK, thanks. Great advice..sorry if I offended anyone by questioning..but now I understand the value. I will go shoot from a rest and see what the results are.

11. RAScott

RAScott Member

Adjustable comb./// raise comb = raise poi. move come to right = move poi to the right. You need to shoot it from a rest to insure that is where it is shooting like said above.

Bob s

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

bozkm- As advised above, you must first determine where the gun shoots, not where you shoot the gun. Start with at least 5 different targets (10 is better) at 13 or so yards and shoot from a solid rest with the sights carefully lined up.

Pat Ireland

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Wait! Don't go yet!

When you get to the pattern board (and you just need to be about 13 yards in front of it; you don't need those longer distances for this) put the gun up the way you normally shoot it and look critically at what you see. Are you looking straight down and are you "centered" on the rib? Don't rush this; really look. All of us are sometimes surprised that we actually are not seeing what we assumed we were - we are over to the side or somewhere. So look at what you see, putting the gun up several times, and remember it the best you can.

That's the view over the gun you want to reproduce when you shoot off the rest. That's what will tell you the first information about where you are shooting it.

Say you are off to the side and shooting confirms it. Your path is clear - do what ever it takes to get straight down and centered on the gun and come back (or maybe you can just contort your head, neck, and face a bit and get straight down it) and see where the gun shoots and go from there.

But let's say everything looks fine when you mount the gun. Shoot at some crosses and tell us what the result was. Not just low or right, but rather where and how much. Then our advice will mean something, though you probably won't need it by then anyway; you will know what to do, if anything.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shoot gun stock adjustments

trap gun adjustments for poi