1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POI Adjustment Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Little help if you would. I have read several old posts and my head is spinning. I am back at the hotel trying to get this figured out.

Shooting a KX5 with new PFS. Went to the pattern board at 20 yards, full choke, 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's. Drew a cross on the pattern board. 1st shot had all pellets 10 inches above aim point. 2nd shot, after moving comb lower, was all pellets 6 inches above. 3rd shot, after getting a good figure 8 on rib after lowering comb again, was ALL but one pellet, 4 inches high.

I figure I should change the rib so as not to mess up the figure 8. So what would be your suggestion, based on these shots, to lower the POI of the rib to get the gun to shoot targets about 4-6 inches above the end of the barrel. The adjustment of the rib wheel is a 1-2" change with each mark.

Any and ALL help is appreciated. Jim

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

First of all, you don't care where the pellets go at 20 yards. Just estimate the center of the pattern as best you can, then measure to your POA. That is the dimension you care about.

If that Figure 8 stuff bothers you, then you will have to adjust your rib to get it, after you have adjusted your comb. Just remember that adjusting the rib moves the shot in the opposite direction as the comb. It may take several minor adjustments to each to get the classic fig8.

I don't care about fig8, so my stock is set to give that with the rib in its lowest setting. In that position the gun shoots 15" high at 40 yds. In the highest position it shoots 6" high at 40. That gives me all the adjustment I need without having to mess with the comb.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

bigdogtx- Adjust the comb to get the gun to shoot where you want it to shoot. Test the POI several times from 13 yards. Then move the back of the rib to get the sight picture you want. I do not like a figure 8 sight picture. I want to glance at the sights to make sure they are in line then focus on the house. This is easier for me with some space between the mid and front sight.

MIA gives some sound methodology-- his comment #3 is excellent.

Pat Ireland

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

There is NO need to "figure-8" your gun. In fact there is a good arugement for the fact if your parked on the rib with no space between your beads it will lead to peeking at the targets. I shoot NO middle bead, and frankly I think it is wasting space on the gun. You need to be over that rib a little how much will depend on what your eye wants to look at. 1. Make the move to get the gun to shoot where you look. 2. Then tweak it so your eye likes what it is looking at.

GS

5. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

No mid bead, 100% high at 35 yds. BUT it took some 13 yd shootin to get it there. I get my guns close at 13 yds then 100% high at 35 yds then adjust my PFS ever so slightly at post three straightaways, when I smoke them centerwise, it`s set. Boy, does that feel good. My bead touches the bird: release and poof. Do it till you get the results you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.