1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

poi 8 1/2 inches high at 13 yards?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Put my new stock on today and center point of impact was 8 1/2 iniches high at 13 yards. How high is my point of impact at trapshooting ranges? what a difference a custom stock makes. Mounting gun now is effortless. This stock is called the new american trap stock by Kolar. Toe is out, comb is offset, grip is deep deep palm swell. Very comfortable to shoot. Will try gun on targets tomorrow.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Earl, instead of relying on others math and opinions in setting your new stock up. Why not set the trap for straights and shoot then adjust? Adjust till you find your sweet spot for smoking clays then you'll know for sure. I could (guess) what your POI might be but that certainly won't help you in any way. Good luck guy! Hap

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Earl, Let's see now, 8.5X3=25.5-about 3 for drop=22.5 at 40 yds, Give or take an inch or two.

Jim

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well my gun shoots 5" high at 13 yards and it shoots 100% high at 40 yards. Did you shoot from a rest?

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jim 101, would that same set of numbers work if he was shooting slugs? Hap

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Let us know if you hit any targets tomorrow. HMB

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Hap, Nope.

Jim

8. smsnyder

yes, shot from a rest. use remington 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz 8 shoot. pattern was dead center twice at 13 yards. center of pattern was 8 1/2 inches high both times.

9. smsnyder

Jim 101 i believe you are correct. i also pattern gun at 32 yards and center of pattern was about 18 to 20 inches high. I believe gun is shooting about 110%. correct? the new stock is shooting pretty much were my old stock was shooting. once i shoot gun at real targets i can make futher corrections to stock before it is finished. It takes a TON OF TIME to get a custom stock built. By the way my averages have gone up quite abit over the last 3 years by shooting a higher point of impact gun so i decided to stick with about the same poi when building this stock. my average 3 years ago was 84.15 now 89.50 in handicaps 82.08 now 89.11 I can allways lower poi it at a later date. At least im going the right direction.

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Earl, percentages must include the variable of the size of your pattern. Height in relation to aim point of the center of your pattern is much more accurate in determining the POI for you. A loose comparison would be to consider a adequately dense pattern of 30 inch dia. and the center of that pattern 15 inches high would be 100%. According to your figures and Jim's calculation my SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) comes to 150% at 40 yds. I hope my point is not confusing.

Buz

11. smsnyder

ALFERMANN 66, i shot gun twice at 13 yards and i could not have centered both pattern better with shooting rest. exactly centered at 8 1/2 inches high

12. smsnyder

i got a question? how much does target rise once you decide to shoot and release trigger and shot gets there? neil winston?

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Earl, Your making this game way more complicated than necessary.

Jim

14. smsnyder

jim 101, if your going to shoot well you must know all the facts and correct the weak points. if i did not pattern this new stock who knows it could be shooting 4 inches to the left or right. Than what? the reason i decided to build the stock was to get more control in the pistol grip area and not arm shoot. merry merry

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Pics for Earl:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=Mvc-425s.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=Mvc-426s.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The problem is you can't tell when you "decide to shoot," Earl, not when you are shooting on auto-pilot which is what you are trying for, over time anyway. It's all an illusion. You see the gun's front bead just barely touch the bird, the gun goes off, the bird shatters. You get the impression that you "shot" when the bead and bird just touched. But you didn't. It took a quarter second for what ever caused your finger let go of the shot based on your visual input. The command "shoot" was sent well before it "looked right." That's why none of the "bird rise" calculation mean anything. But that doesn't stop us from making the calculation, even though it can't work.

The time of a "Heavy" to the target, to the precision required, is about 0.12 seconds.

The bird is going maybe 30 MPH which is 44 ft. second. Here's another guess, the angle at which the target is flying. It started at 20 degrees and I guess somewhere between 10 and 15 degrees sounds fine so we will do this assuming a target angle of - oh - 12 degrees.

Now we need the vertical speed of a 12-degree bird going at 44 fps. Let's say the tangent of 12 degrees is height/speed and that means that 0.2=height/44 and that means that height is .2 times 44 and that's about 9 feet per second and in the 0.12 second of shot flight we get close enough to a foot.

So between the gun going off and hitting the target, if you do, the bird rises a foot. That's a pretty big number I think you will agree.

But now people will tell you you can have s singles gun that shoots pretty flat, but you need higher for handicap. The rise for singles is, as I calculated above, maybe a foot. And for handicap? Well, here the time increases from 0.12 to 0.14 seconds which is only about 16% more - and 16 percent of a foot is only about two inches. So by these calculations, a singles gun should shoot prety high and a handicap gun only two inches higher.

Look, I warned you it wasn't going to work . . .

Neil

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=Mvc-427s.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=Mvc-428s.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=Mvc-429s.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Those aren't your 13-yard patterns, are they?

Neil

19. smsnyder

Neil you answered by question and very well. It looks like target is moving upwards about a foot by the time i see target react to target release trigger and shot gets there. How in the word does i guy shoot a flat shooting gun i will never know. futhermore I prefer i higher shooting gun because target is allways in my view as it is rising. Merry Merry

20. smsnyder

Yes, those are my 13 yard patterns with IM choke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.