1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POA vs POI ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Due to my recent weight loss, I'm going to be doing some adjustments to my primary gun. I'm going to be using a laser @ 13 yds. I kinda remember 4" above POA= 70/30 @ 40yds, 6" above POA=90/10 @40 yds, 7.5" above POA=100% above POA.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Will be doing this from a bench & will be doing my horizontal adjustments from a standing gun mount.

Phil Berkowitz

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I have never seen a 30 inch pattern.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Shawn, I'd say you are about right - certainly close enough - assuming two things:

The rib is nothing tricky, height-wise, and

The laser shoots its light where the barrel shoots its shot.

But that part about the smaller pattern is a little off. The way people use percent high is unrelated to the diameter of the pattern, and unrelated too to the shape of real patterns or their shot distributions. They want 10% to equal three inches, but then want you to believe that it has something to do with the shot, which it doesn't. It has to do with numbers, nothing more.

Neil

4. Neil Winston

Phil, what sort of horizontal adjustments from a standing position are you contemplating using your laser pointer?

Neil

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Neil & others, the horizontal or comb adjustments will be made if the gun is not not showing a true alignment with the verticle line of the cross I'm making out of masking tape. I'm looking for 4" above the horizontal & center of the verticle tape.

Phil Berkowitz

6. Neil Winston

But are you looking straight down the gun now, Phil? If so, why would you change that? If not, why not fix that?

The thing is, you don't _really_ know if that laser do-dad is showing you where the shot goes, do you?

Neil

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

As I said earlier I lostclose to 20lbs, my gun fit has changed due to my face getting slimmer. The weather where I live has been so crappy, I haven't had much chance to do much shooting in the last 2 months. The laser I have is an expensive unit. I have faith in it & have used successfully for a few years. My beads appear to be close to right behind each other. They are almost in line not a figure 8,I'm using the smallest white pipe that hi-viz makes. This is a test. My shooting was in the toilet last weekend.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Mirage Combo

Mirage Combo TS Member

Phil

I think the key part was Almost lined up. I use an arrow laser,adjust
    comb,pad or both making beads line up and gun mount is consistent.
    take too patern board.

9. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Phil, a couple of thoughts.

relative to the percentage vs inches matter...the choke used will impact the size of the pattern at a given distance...30" for an open choke, 24" for a tighter choke, the inches should remain constant but the % will change with a change in choke. Stick with the inches relationship to be consistent.

All laser devices are not necessarily properly calibrated. When using a bench, note where the dot is located, then turn the laser unit 90 degrees and see if the dot moves, do that again and observe. If the dot moves, your unit may need to be recalibrated, which the manufacturer should gladly do for no charge...at least mine did.

WNCRob

10. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

If I were going to try an acheive your goal, I would use live ammo at paper.

Yes I do have a couple expensive laser units.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I did rotate my laser in the past.

Here are my reults as of this morning.
    Found the gun to be shooting (pointing with laser) 8" high @ 13 yds. Reduced the washer by 1/32" & lowered my rib to 70/30 position. The laser is now indicating 4"high.
    Another question, what does 1/16 of comb washer expand to at 40 yds.

Thanks again Phil Berkowitz

12. Neil Winston

A couple/three inches, Phil, to the accuracy you need to calculate it.

Once you get to try shooting it at 13 yards off a rest, we hope you will tell us how accurate that laser was in predicting where the gun puts its shot.

Neil

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil & everyone, will try to get on paper next week, once it warms up a little more & the winds lets up.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

poi vs poa adjustments

poi vs poa trap