1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POA question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pitt100, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitt100

pitt100 TS Member

I've been at this sport for a year now. I've had a few 25s no 50s yet but close a couple of times. I've been shooting an 1100 comp. trap until recently when I picked up a combo with an adjustabel rib and stock. Set it up to shoot 70/30. My question is about "floating" the bird. What does floating mean? For myself I seem to have to get right under the bird almost covering it no matter how high I set my gun up. I assumed floating the bird meant setting the gun up in order to see a space between the bird and bead when I pull the trigger. I can't seem to set the gun high enough to get that type of picture. Am I doing something wrong? I seem to have an aversion to getting that close to the bird.

Thanks,

Pitt

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You are aiming at the bird. When you see the sight picture you want you stop the gun and pull the trigger. On straight aways you shoot under the bird and on angles you shoot behind the bird. HMB

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Do you actually know the gun is shooting 6" high? Is that at 35 or 40 yards? 6" high POI is not that high, especially if you're a medium to slow shooter. Try to put the front bead right on the bottom of the bird. My gun shoots 9" high at 35 yards, and I can float the bird about a quarter inch over the bead.

Wayne

[​IMG]

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Seems that you want to set your gun up so that you can "float" the target. If you actually have your gun shooting 70/30 as you mentioned and you have shot it off of a bench at 13 yds. at least 5 times to make sure that it is shooting straight left and right and how many inches poi is above poa at 13yds. then I can't figure out why you want to set your gun up to shoot so high that you have to float the bird.

If you are getting good consistent breaks with your gun set up the way it is now and you want to set the target on top of your bead;which is what I think you were saying that you so often do,then stop making adjustments and learn to shoot the gun the way it is.

Some people can shoot a high POI gun and some can't. Been there,tried that. Back to shooting a gun set up just about like your's is.

Good luck on finding somethig that works for YOU, not someone else.

Steve

5. pitt100

pitt100 TS Member

Steve,

You're right. But I want to find out if shooting a high point of impact will work for me. Kind of exploring all my options. I guess my point was my 1100 was 8 inches high at 35 yards and I still didn't get to where Wayne's sight is. How high do I need to set up a gun to get that kind of sight picture?

Pitt

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

are you sure you want to aim your shotgun as opposed to having it shoot where you are looking? aiming for most is full of inconsistencies, yet shooting where you are looking is easier, just requires a proper fitting gun. You can get a floating sight picture by adjusting your comb and the rib to get what you want. This may mean seeing space between your beads.

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Pitt, that's hard to say. I don't know what type of gun you are shooting. Where you have the rib set? Where is your comb set? Are you figure eighting your beads? It's going to be different for each person. I'd set the rib at its highest setting,bottom notch in the front most likely, adjust comb so that you get your desired bead relationship and then go to the range, lock the trap for straight-aways from post three and float the target like you want to and see if you are centering the bird;if not, my guess would be to continue to lower POI. because if you have the gun shooting at its highest, you are probably shooting over the target depending on how much you are floating it. Hope this helps some. Others will probably have different ideas. I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Good luck--keep us informed

Steve

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My TMX and MX-3 single barrel both shoot the same POI at 40 yards about 9 inches high and with a tight Full choke. Every time that I have experimented with raising the comb to get the POI higher it has resulted in a real drop in scores. My sight picture is just under the bird but not a big air gap. I leave the comb alone for Singles and long yardage Handicap. I actually got it the way I wanted for Handicap and learned how to shoot it for Singles after quite a few targets.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I never could understand why someone would want to float a target? I would lose my reference point on when to pull the trigger. I have a friend how had a new rib made for his Perazzi and it now shoots 125% high.

Obviously, everyone shoots different. He let me shoot the gun and for me to break targets I had to hold on the house and barely raise the gun or I would shoot over them.

I believe that there is a small percentage of shooters who can hold a high gun and also use a gun that shoots high where you have to float a target and still shoot with any amount of consistency. I feel that the majority of us hold on the house and use a poi where the bead is placed touching the target. (Just my opinion)
    Steve Balistreri

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

NOT trying to steal thread.But the picture says a thousand words about my shooting.If i see the same as this picture,I just lost the target,a miss.Now,when I first mount the gun,yes it's like this picture until I call pull.Then my eyes follow the target,and I pull the trigger,but never see gun in my vision like the picture.Am I concentrating too hard blocking out the gun??I also wanted to know about floating the bird,but how could I do it if I don't see the barrel.As it is now,I concentrate on where I want to hit the bird,

I.E.--front part of dome before edge of bird.

Doug H.

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Doug, as far as I am concerned, you've got it. Don't worry about a thing. You are looking at what you should be looking at.

Steve

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.