1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pnuematic cylinder for a Mec 9000?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigDave1200, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Has anyone set up a MEC 9000 to use a pnuematic cylinder instead of a hydraulic cylinder? I am thinking that if you had the correct bore and stroke and used a directional valve it would work if you had an air compressor. Any input?

Thanks dave

2. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

never a 9000 but spent a lot of time screwing w/a 650.you need 800 psi hyd/press so fig out 800psi on a air cyl.the bad thing about air is it compresses.makes things happen slow and never the same thing twice.but messing around with loaders is fun .if you try this a 3 way foot vale works good and they are on ebay and cheap.you want to play, get a old hornady 366 and make a drive unit out of a garage door opener.think about it.power up/power down/limit switch/reverse,how could it not work?I am going to try to build one after the first of the year.been a long winter.:)good luck.

tracy

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I work with air cylinders at work every day.

It would work if you use he correct size cylinder, and regulate pressure and flow correctly.

Go to the Bimba website. They have thousands of cylinders and accesories, and you can pick what you need there.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I prefer SMC cylinders.............but why would you want the compressor noise all the time you're reloading?

If you're going to use pneumatics for controlling machinery of any kind you are going to have to provide "instrument air" for the cylinder. That means an air conditioning system to get rid of the moisture from the ambient air. Pretty costly. Desiccant dryers aren't good enough. Hydraulics or Electrical are both superior to pneumatics for the simple task of the pulling the handle mechanism.

5. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Is the hydraulic pump not noisy? I have a portable compressor that I don't use so I was thinking of putting it to use to save the cost of the hydraulic pump. Just a thought that I had and was wondering if anyone else had done this?

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I added more info to my post above.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You don't need 800 psi the larger the cylinder bore makes more force with same pressure. You would need about a 2 inch bore cylinder along with speed valves. Not worth the effort, stick with a hydraulic system. I have seen people use power steering pumps connected to a electric motor via fanbelt.

8. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

MEC-page 32-pump relief set at 800 psi. flow 0.50gpm@650 psi.

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

At one time a kit was made using air and I don't have a clue the name of the manufactorer but I had bidded on one on ebay and got outbid at the last seconds. Jackie B.

10. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Look at the PW Patriot auto-drive. That is slick.That is $799.95 worth of slick but would last forever and no noise.might even work on the hornady 366.back to the air,the best i have seen was a cyl.mounted on the bench hooked to a 366.it was on here or over on shotgun world.can't find it.good luck.

11. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

Guys I have an air cylinder that a guy in Phoenix made 10 years ago that I still have and use. 60 lbs of air will do any thing you need. The cylinder does have some hydraulic fluid in it, but you hook it to an air compressor and use a foot pedal to make it work. Works the same as hydraulic with the foot pedal.
    Mite be willing to sell this one with the conversion to attach it to a machine.
    Billy

12. Tralfaz

Tralfaz TS Member

Billy
    Is there any way you could post pictures of your loader
    Dave

13. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

I will try to post some pics. I'm really in a pinch for time right now, but I will try.
    Billy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.