1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PMC Shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Express, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Express

Express TS Member

Has anyone ever tried PMC shells? Instead of a traditional wad, they use a felt spacer. I am wondering how they would pattern without a wad.
    Thanks in advance.

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I think that modern shot shells loaded with felt wads are for sporting clays.

With a felt wad, you get more bore to shot contact and more distorted shot. This means that the some of the pattern opens up real quick and less shot stays within a 30" pattern as it moves away from the bore.

When I first started hunting and reloading, about 1964, I killed many a rabbit and quail with shot shells loaded with Herter's felt wads. You also had to put a thin, hard over powder wad between the powder and felt wads. The plastic over powder wad then replaced the nitro over powder wad which was a big improvement in that you needed to reduce the powder charge by 10%.

Winchester introduced the Mark V shell that had a plastic sleeve around the shot and then came the plastic wad.

Red Dot was about $60 for 15 pounds and shot was well under $10 per 25 pound bag.

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Those PMC's with a felt were their version of a "BIO" shell, there are clubs out there now that don't allow plastic wads on the place, and getting pretty big overseas.

When PMC quit making shotshells, some guys here got a deal on what was left and in those, were some BIO's. Guys that bought them aren't too happy with the performance, I don't know if they truely are inferior or them just looking for another excuse. Some do sound funny though, but I doubt the gun was pointed correctly on those "inferior shells". ;^)

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think there is a different perception with different components and not everyone will agree

butttttttttttt

I have shot PMC target loads that litterally rattled your teeth

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

PMC was a shell manufacturer like everyone else, and offered many different velocities and payloads, they made a 1 ounce at 1160 that was really nice to shoot. They also made some "mustache pullers".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.