1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plywood Stock for 3200

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

a) does beautiful takeoff wood from a 3200 have any value beyond kindling? It's from a standard MC trap.

b) Where can one get a 98% inletted plywood stock and forearm for a 3200?

I am contemplating making a 3200 into a heavy duck gun.

Bob

2. mt

mt Member

Are you trying to sell them, I may be interested if its reasonably priced. thanks

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I haven't quite made up my mind abt even doing this project, much less gone after the gun, and I have not even 1/19th of a clue of what 'reasonably priced' would be, but yeah, if I can get plywood to hold onto in a salt marsh, I prefer that over pretty timber.

PM me your email addy and I'll send you pics and, if ... if ... if ....

If anybody would like to offer guidance on what is a fair/reasonable ask for take-off lumber, I'd be most appreciative.

Would it be Briley's bill?

The cost of the plywood fore & aft?

A face cord of seasoned mesquite?

Three firelogs?

Bob

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Plywood - call Boyd's stocks in Mitchell, SD.

They make all sorts of laminated stocks. Why not use a synthetic. Plywood or any laminate usually has problems in the future.

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Try Wenig, they make all sorts of laminated gun stocks that are just machine inletted all the way to completely finished.

John E.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Whiz, Thanks for the pointer.

I looked for plastic plug-and-chug stocks first, to no avail, and I looked at Boyds, but apparently I didn't look hard enough.

I talked to Wenig this morning, and there was some confusion 'tween front office and back as to whether they did or didn't plywood 3200 pre-fits.

Have you an idea where a plastic 3200 stock may be sourced?

If the black gun craze is still going on when I'm tired of the 3200, I might be able to fund a comfortable retirement on Gunbroker ... LQQK "Tactical Manglum 3 All-Weather All-Terrain O/U" (rare & unique).

Bob

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

GOATSKIN: God, I have to believe Boyd's makes them for the 3200.

If you want, I'll give them a call. Our pheasant hunting operation is a fe miles west of Mitchell. I'd be happy to do that for you. I even get a dealer's discount with them, well I have in the past, anyway.

Whiz

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Grunt, thanks for the bump.

Whiz, I sent them a mail, but have not heard back yet, and I asked them about an MT-6 stock, too, which I'd also think they make.

Wenigs may or may not make a laminate, but cheap hammer-on AmBlk Walnut stocks are common.

Do you know of anybody who might make a composite? I called the usual suspects today and got chuckles and even the question, "What's a 3200?" I'd much prefer plastic, if i have an option.

Bob

10. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Goatskin
    I'm sorry but am I missing something? I have a 3200 with the barrel stamped 2 3/4" or shorter shells. I didn't realize some came with 3" chambers. Would you want to try and make a "heavy duck gun" out of a light weight gun? I remember a while back there was a lawsuit against Remington for a couple of them flying apart. HarryC

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"Goatskin I'm sorry but am I missing something? I have a 3200 with the barrel stamped 2 3/4" or shorter shells. I didn't realize some came with 3" chambers. Would you want to try and make a "heavy duck gun" out of a light weight gun? I remember a while back there was a lawsuit against Remington for a couple of them flying apart. HarryC"

Fair question. Other than before hunting season, I don't shoot the games any more, other than a few SC, and a couple of years ago, I made the decision that I was going to shoot what I wanted to shoot, which are good Brit doubles, and that I was going to reload very tailored bullets for them.

I gave my son & s-i-l my plastic guns and all my steel and Hevi- bullets and started making 2" & 2½" and 10ga 2-78" duck and goose loads (quail and dove, I use RST and B&P factory rolls).

That said, I have a soft spot for my old, departed Rem 32 and 3200, which was my 1st games gun.

What got me started, again, on stacked bores v. sxs, was a lease I picked up: nasty, muddy, teary, yukky African Queen thing, secret from all except rafts and legions of duck.

I love my Westley Richards and my Lang and my Dickson ... but I want a sloppy-tolerance gun that will work under any/all insults for days on end and I can clean at the carwash: the 3200.

I don't need to shoot 3", but it does need to be FC-relieved, overbored and choke-tubed: Briley or Mike Orlen.

I have a logic .. it may not make sense to everybody, but it does to me.

TMI?

Bob

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

wenig make a very nice laminate stock.. calling it plywood does not make it any cheaper.. They come in many colors.. and I have one on a large bore rifle.. I think its indestructable.. You can get a 90% set for under $200.. and the last 10% isn't that hard to do..

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"wenig make a very nice laminate stock.. calling it plywood does not make it any cheaper..."

Yup. I agree.

When you call Wenig's and ask about their 'Hammer-Fit' stocks, especially in plywood, you get a sharp intake of breath before you get a (restrained) chuckle.

I'm in the final stages of shaping/finishing one for a Beretta Mdl 410 - first class quality and as hard as woodpecker lips to carve on.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.