1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plowing Tug Hill 1939

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by windyflat, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windyflat

windyflat Member

Kinda neat old video of plowing in our local area many years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TZR2WbD3Hz0

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Couldn't get it to come up

3. windyflat

windyflat Member

Sorry about the other post..
    try the link...

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Man that was some hard snow. Pound away in one of those trucks for a day and you would be worn out.

I remember the winter on 1968-69 here in western Minnesota. Record snow, then we had a 2" rain. The rain soaked into the snow and then froze when the temp dropped. There was a foot thick layer of ice on top of the snow. Impossible to plow roads so the county hired caterpillors to open them.

5. windyflat

windyflat Member

OSHA would love those guys riding in the back while they were hammering the drifts!

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Newer big stuff sure is nice

I remember when I was a kid we would always get snowed in and county had a big motor grader they would put the snow plow on, the drifts were 10 ft deep he would back up and hit them at full bore, it would hurl those big chunks that the men were pushing out of the way 50-60 ft

I bet the guy that was diving it was whipped at the end of the day

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I'm sure glad it doesn't get that deep around here! 12 hours of plowing up to a foot or so in a newer truck with heat, power steering and brakes, and a stereo, on smooth pavement, can be tiring enough. These old boys have all my respect.

8. single stack

single stack Member

I took some Tenth Mountain up the Tug Hill from from Ft. Devons (1980's) in the winter.
    I remember having to creep into the intersections in a 10' coach just to see around
    the corners. Forget belly plows. Way too much snow!

It's very popular with snowmobilers,

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Those were tough trucks with tough men.

In 1963 I think it was we had a bad snow storm. I was 3 years old but I remmeber having the snow taller them me. LOL. Wasn't hard when your at that age. Any way my parents were about to go to bed and they heard a knock on the door. It was a good friend of the family. They asked what he was doing out in the snow storm and at that time of night. He said he was hired by the state to keep the road cleared. He was on an open grader in the cold. We then told him to come in as he pasted our place and get a cup of coffee. We put the coffee maker out with coffee and he did come in to get warm and a cup each time he passed by the house. He did that all night till the storm passed.

In those days you left your door unlocked and keys in the car. You also trusted the people around you. Not today.

10. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Windyflat-good description of the geography of that part of New York!

In Honor of the men in this film, I'm now headed out to clear my driveway of the 8-10 inches of snow we've just been blessed with. I intend to keep with the spirit of this film and use a manually operated snow removal device.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Up for those who have yet to see the old days of snow removal.

12. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Single Stack, in November of 1963 I was transferred from Fort Jackson SC to FT Devons Mass for a six month assignment. I noticed that on both sides of the streets leading to the barracks areas that there were these 6 to 8 ft fiberglas poles with little red flags atop them every 50ft or so. I asked a couple guys what they were there for? I soon found out that winter! Pretty shocking for someone who had never seen snow over 3 inchs deep. Then I got sent to the Alps! lol.

13. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Very cool video. Those parts of NY still get plastered with snow like no where else. I know. I used to live there.

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Sorry about your mailbox!

15. single stack

single stack Member

Fort Devons doesn't have snow like Fort Drum!

The Tug Hill area and Old Forge area are very popular
    with snowmobilers. Last year was a bit of a bust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.