1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please Vote: PAT Trap vs. GMV Superstar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I have convinced my club to buy a new trap (singles, doubles, wobble), and the Trap Committee has narrowed the selection down to either a PAT Trap or a GMV Superstar. They are both good machines, and the only material differences (from our perspective) are that the PAT Trap (almost immediate delivery) is hydraulic operated which adds to the prep time on cold days (we're in central New England) and that the GMV Superstar has a delivery time of about eight weeks. Neither one of these reasons is a real biggie. Right now it's a toss-up, so I need input from anyone with stories to share. Any 'biggie' reasons to recommend or not recommend either one? Which one would you recommend and WHY? (The WHY is very important). Thanks.

LA

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Hands down....... the Pat Trap.

Our club is in SW ontario, and we have never had a cold weather problem with the Pats.( we have 3 pats )We don't use heatwraps or a heated house, just hit the switches and go, no matter how cold its been.I find the Pat Trap is much easer to go from singles to doubles and back again.

The new Pats are much better than the first ones that came out.

The Pats are cheaper, and made in the US.....

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Agreed..........HANDS DOWN...........my vote goes to the Pat Trap.

If you had ever shot doubles thrown from a GMV, you would not even have to ask. The targets have a decided "hook" to their flight, and this erratic flight characteristic is greatly magnified under (even) the slighest of windy conditions. It is very common to see "high left ; low right" pairs, or vice' versa, depending upon the wind direction.

The Pat throws a much "true-er" doubles target, and the left-right variation seen from a GMV is almost non-existant. Both targets have nearly identical height, angle and flight patterns. Doubles thrown from a Pat Trap fly flatter - and subsequently fall flatter, as well.

Just my opinion, but you did ask.........

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

PAT traps have become the standard. Is it possible the machines were named after me?

Pat Ireland

5. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

I have to go the other way - I like the GMV - there design is superior - doubles, I think the gmv throws a better target - as far as target adjustment is concerned you have much more control - the gmv gas the proper "Hole" settings no messing around with a ruler and moving sensors to get the right angles - the shelf is adjustable - spring tension(no rubber bands like a pat)- the brushes on a pat are a big weakness, they wear out and you start getting an erractic right targets - both are good machines - but having shot and trouble shoot both - still give the gmv the nod - J Mroczka

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

CMV as well. Easy to set the height and switch back and forth from singles to doubles.

Jerbear

7. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Hands down Pat.I belong to a club that has a GMV.

Buy the Pat and never look back.Must be the best everyone wants to shoot on them at the big shoots.

Bo

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

LA -

Regarding cold weather . . . we have 2 Pat Traps (new models) currently and a 3rd on order and we are located just outside of the Chicago metro area, so we have to deal with cold weather.

We have never had any issue with cold weather on our Pat's, and when I say cold I mean in the -10 to +10 range. Start them up and you can throw targets almost immediately. We are running the standard fluid that comes with the machine (Mobil 1 0w5 if I remember correctly).

We do run a small ceramic heater in the house when we are not shooting. It's not so much to keep the machine warm as it is to keep everything dry. Two of our 3 houses have a sump pit because they get some water in them so running the heater keeps everything nice and dry.

We have 270K targets our first machine and 250K on our second (admittedly not many compared to others) and so far the only thing we've had to replace is the flat spring on the arm brake - I think it was $6.

Scott

9. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Pat Trap hands down...we had them at our club-low maintenance and great people to deal with.

puablo

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Though you probably couldn't tell the difference in a blind test shooting over the two brands, most trap shooters believe (right or wrong) that there is a difference.

PAT is accepted as the standard for trap and most major clubs, including Sparta, use PAT traps in their trap houses.

I have no doubt GMV makes a fine machine, but if you tell trap shooters they're shooting over a PAT trap, somehow that makes a difference to them.

We had this same discussion at our club recently but it was PAT vs. Promatic.

Promatic is based in Smithville, MO and is just a short drive from our club. We have 24 Promatic target throwers on our sporting clays course, and they work quite well.

But, since trapshooters seem to believe there is a difference, we went with a PAT trap, if for no other reason than to be able to advertise for our ATA events that "our club uses PAT traps, just like at the Grand."

11. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have worked on and set targets on the Pat & GMV. When properly set EACH will throw very good targets.

I am presently with a club that has two GMV's and do most of the target setting (change over to doubles and back to singles), and resolve mechanical issues if any.

I personally prefer the GMV because it is all mechanical. The target flight setting is very similar to the old Winchester traps and is very easy to adjust the target flight. The carousel can be rotated to load targets. If you have a low ceiling in the trap house this makes it easy to stand behind the machine to load. Maintenance is not difficult, the carousel is easy to remove for cleaning and maintenance.

Having been a set up person in industry and worked on sophisticated assembly machinery, I real feel the GMV is a better built machine.

Again, when properly set EACH will throw very good targets.

Frank

12. clays

clays TS Member

I have one of the new pats with the wobble option and I can't think of anything but good things to say about it, it's so easy to change from singles to double to wobble or even double wobble. (I've had it about 2 years)

If I were buying another one today, it would be a pat

Clays

13. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Downers Grove Sportsmens Club, Morris, Il. We replaced 7 laportes 2 years ago with new Pat Traps. We had a GMV and a Pat to try before we bought. IMO the Pat is the simplest to adjust, clean and get any needed parts for. If the brush gets bad as noted above, after you turned it around, you can buy them at any hardware store. Do yourself a favor & order the Targetspeed from Stu when you get your machines. Simple way to throw great targets. Harv Shell, ATA chairman.

14. spritc

spritc Active Member

Pat Trap all the way!

Steve

15. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

PAT without any hesitation. Our club has 8 including one of the wobble machines. Super easy to adjust, set, and maintain. 1st class customer support too!

(We also have 7 skeet fields all with PAT's)

Tim

16. porky

porky TS Member

If you need a part with the Pat Trap, you call them in New Hampshire and they will sent a part out that day by UPS or even overnite it I believe. Then the Pat Trap people sent the bill to the club. They will diagnose problems over the phone with you if you need it, no charge. The list of how the Pat Trap people stand behind their product goes on and on. Besides all that,I believe that about every if not every state organization has Pat Traps or is in the process of converting to them. I have no experience with GMV, but I know that they are made in Sweden.

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Porcupine, If you are talking the wobble feature and expect to use it, there is only one choice. As you know at MMSC we have both, PAT and GMV. The GMV wobble is so much more versatile, and returnable to a predicted setting, much as a fine rifle scope, that there is no comparison. Feel free to call me at work next week if you'd like to come to the club and look at it. We do not have a PAT in wobble, only GMV. Bob Hawkes 978-948-7313.

18. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Our club has a GMV wobble for sale. In top condition. If interested contact me at paintnfreek@hotmail.com. We are changing to Pat traps fo maintenance reasons. We have 5 pats and one GMV. We want to have all same. Other than that the machine works like a champ. Jake

19. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

I used to take care of the traps at my local club and the trap program and we had a single cantaberry and a GMV superstar with doubles and wobbles, I do not care for the pat trap because it is hydraulic and when the oil gets thick the trap keep throwing targets and won't stop until it warms up consideretly and it breaks targets also. I also do not like the way the pat traps keep there consistency the targets are high and low and if the machine gets a little wore the brushes it will start throwing hard rights.you have to keep a heater in the trap house to keep the machine oil warm in the tank. My opinion from the experience that I have had go with the GMV SUPERSTAR or if you can find one the cantaberry. MX 2005 pat k

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

mx2005- You have posted the first complementary comments I have seen about Canterbury traps. I have listened to many stories about them.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.