1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please tell me about the ks-5

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Montep, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montep

Montep TS Member

I have been shooting a k-32 and thinking about another Krieghoff. Saw a ks-5 special that looks good. What can people tell me about it. How does it compare to the kx-5? I see that most kx-5's sell for around $4000. What should a ks-5 go for?
    Thanks

2. Herman63

Herman63 Member

Normal ks5 should go from 2000 to 2400 I have a ks5 and like it alot. Think the ks5 speicial goes for a bit more. Try look on the indiana gun club website think they have a few of both listed.

Hope this helps, Herman from KY

3. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

if you're shooting a K32, why would you trade down to a KS5?

4. Montep

Montep TS Member

I want a back-up gun for the 32. I shoot singles so that is why the ks-5 or the kx-5.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

For singles, the KS-5 is a superior design to the K-32. Notice that whenever you hear a shooter talking about their K-32, the subject of "updates" always comes up. Honestly, once you've shot the 5, the 32 will feel like an antiquated coal-cart by comparison. Not saying the 32 hasn't been a good gun for some people...just that Krieghoff got it all right when they designed the K-5 series. Fabulous gun. IMO, Krieghoff felt they were offering too much for the money on the KS-5, and only introduced the KX- as a justification to raise the price. The KS- is a fine gun, and will cost you considerably less than a new KX-

6. pw1

pw1 TS Member

I have a Ks5 Special that I've had for several years and it is as good as I've ever owned and I've owned P & K guns as well as Beretta and Browning.
    A friend of mine has a Kx5 and other than the engraving on the sides I don't really see any differences worth mentioning but the Kx5 is higher than the Ks5.
    I would not hesitate to buy another if the need was there.
    Paul Wells
    Oklahoma

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Buzz gun has it right

The KS-5 is a virtually bulletproof design. Get the rib and comb set right, service it once a year, and shoot the fire out of it. When you close the gun, you can pull the trigger, and ease the top lever down, and you will decock the arm wihout snapping it. Opening the top lever cocks the hammer.

Make sure your reloads are sized where they will chamber with no effort.

If you can get a regular model right, o for it. In the unlikely event you need to change hangers, call Braxton at Krighlff Intl', tell him the POI you have, the POI you want, and he will likely swap hangers with you.

I prefer the standard model. Nothing to get out of adjustment.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've owned Model 32s, a K-80, several KS-5s and now shoot a KX-5. During my K-80 and Model 32 days, there was a KS-5 Special in the gun safe "just in case." Having established my qualifications to do so, I will caution you about using a KS/KX-5 as a backup for a Model 32 or K-80 (or a M32 or K-80 as a backup for a KS/KX-5) as the handling characteristics of the two families of guns are very different and the pistol grips and other stock dimensions differ greatly. If you shoot consecutive traps with the two guns, you will swear the same company could not have made them. Neither is "bad," mind you, just very different and your first trap with your back-up gun would probably not be one of your best.

Those who say that the KS/KX-5 is bulletproof are spot-on. Take the stock off one sometime and look at the action - there are no tiny parts or a multitude of springs to break, even with a release trigger.

Ed

9. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I've owned a KS5, and now a K80. The K80 IMO, is far superior. I believe that for everybody who loves their KS/KX5, there are equal parts those who are disappointed with it.

Get K80 wood and an unsingle fitted to your 32. Then get a TM-1 for a backup. $4K is alot to have in a backup.

Besides, if you HAVE to go to your backup, unless you just want to shoot, what's the point in continuing a shoot. Your primary gun is the one you should be shooting winning scores with. If you shoot better with your backup, that's the gun you should be shooting.

On a side note, $4K comes close to getting one of those new Gurerini high rib guns with 3 years free service and a lifetime warranty.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have and use a lot a M.32 trap. I use it for skeet, trap doubles, wobble trap, 5 stand, and sporting Clays. It would also be my bunker gun if I was close enough to a bunker. For singles and handicap trap, I have a KS-5 Spl. and know in my heart it is my last single barrel shotgun. I consider the M.32 for any backup needs but Ed is right, they are enough different that I don't score particularly well using it for standard single bird trap games.

I consider the KS-5 Spl. to be the bargain of the trio of similar guns; KS-5, KS-5 Spl., and KX-5. The Special has every bit as much adjustability of the KX gun without the extra thousand or so price tag. With the Special you can have adj. rib, 4 way adj. comb, choke tubes, and two adjustments in the trigger; let off and poundage. The hammer is cocked by operating the opening lever so there is no mechanism between the receiver and forearm iron to fail. There are so few moving parts in the gun to be amazing. I consider it a study in simplicity with the exception of all the adjustability. The adjustability is very handy initially but can tempt you to fiddle with them when you're having a bad day at the line. Once it's adjusted as you like, you will wish you could weld the adjustsments up, maybe even the choke tube, and forever leave it alone. 34 and 32" barrels are available and some like either with the long barrel probably better in resale.

The KX-5 is simply a "new" KS-5 Spl. with a little different cosmetics and a Perazzi style forearm release on the nose instead of the under forearm release. And the KX gun is the most expensive of the trio....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.