1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin
    my mother in law was placed in hopice care today. she is dying of alzheimer's. she is a very nice lady, but after 11 years of suffering from this terrible decease, it is time for her suffering to stop. i would appreciate if everyone in our shooting fraternity would please remember her tonight, and say a prayer before you go to bed. from one shooter to another, i would truley appreciate it on her behalf. last saturday my wife and i went through her attic and found some very interesting items from years long gone. maybe it's because i was a young kid in the 50's, but as i remember it, it sure seemed like people treating each other alot nicer back then. please respond to my thread if you recall the things i am writing about. do you remember,

1. when a neighbor would come over and ask to borrow a cup of sugar.
    2. when you could leave your home and not lock your doors.
    3.when kids could walk to school without their parents worrying about them.
    4. when you came home from school, and the first thing you said" mom, i'm home! and your mother was actually at home and didn't have to work.
    5. when your entire family ate dinner together.
    6. when you respected your teachers as well as the police officer who walked a beat in your neighborhood.
    7. when the ice man came, with the leather on his shoulder, and had those big ice tongs.
    8. when the milk man delivered milk in glass bottles.
    9. buying a pack of baseball cards for a nickle, and you would smell the wrapper because of the great smell of the gum inside.
    10. when your parents purchased their first black and white tv.
    11. when high top tennis shoes cost $2.98, in black or white.
    12. when you were ill, the doctor came to the house with his black medical bag.
    13. getting the measles, or the chicken pox or the mumps.
    14. when you couldn't go down to the playground because parents were told to keep the kids inside due to possibly getting polio.
    15. when you got your first transistor radio, 4 06 transistor.
    16. when you went to purchase a 45 rpm record, and you could play it at the store before you decided to purchase it.
    17. when you purchased 2 carts of groceries for $25.00
    18. when cigarettes went to 30 cents a pack, and you heard your mother tell your father he would have to stop smoking because of the high price.
    19. while in highschool, going out with your friends on a friday night in a car, and seeing who looked old enough to purchase beer with a fake id.
    20. when going to a drive in, and hid your friends in the trunk of the car, for free admission.
    21. buster brown shoes, a safety cadet belt from your grade school, when kids in your neighborhood would walk around in summer, with a wool baseball uniform.
    the list goes on and on. i hope you remembered some of these things. it put a smile on my face as i was typing them. anything else you remember as a kid?
    steve balistreri
  2. nipper

nipper TS Member

Dec 30, 2007
    As Archie & Edith sang,Those were the days. Yes i sorta remember. Yes i will pray for your mother.

3. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I too have added yourr mother and you & family to my prayers. ken
  4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aug 27, 2007
    West Central Florida
    I sorry to hear about your mother, My mother has the same problem. When i visited her she didn't even know who I was. She thought I was her brother whom I take after.
    #18 on your list I remember when cigarettes were 23 cents a pack. you would put a quarter in the machine and you would get your cigarettes with 2 pennies inserted in the callophane on the side of the pack. Mike
  5. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Steve sorry to heard about your mother-in- law.
    She will have my wife and my prayers.

Yes, I remember all of the old times.
    Shooting marbles and grabing the girls pop beads.

6. Billster

Billster TS Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Sr. Smoke: She's in our prayers as is the people of hospice. They recently helped my mom to a better place.

Remember ALL of those things. Had to laugh at the smell of the Topps gum. I'd do that too with every nickel pack. The smell of Play-Doh; growing up in Brooklyn and breaking the tar bubbles in the hot summer street with the new PF Flyers then leaving tar stains on the parlor rug..oy. Smack in the head. Dad giving me a quarter to run up to Hogue's candy store for a pack of Camels. Another quarter for a cardboard container of tap beer from Al's gin mill. Always snuck a sip before getting it home. Hopping freight trains for a free ride to 'Niggers Ditch' (not PC but that's what it was called) just to play ball on real DIRT. Brooklyn Dodgers' hat. Chewing the wax bottles after sucking the sugar water outta them. Joe the beat cop dragging his nightstick along the wrought iron railings in front late at night as he walked his beat. Scavenger pipes on flatheads rumbling past on a Saturday night.....DAMN you've got me going.

Peace to you and yours.
    Bill Stengel
  7. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    When my father dies , I went to tell my aunt ( his sister ) and after I told her , she said something that will always stick in my mind. She said " well...................there are worse things than dying". I thought at the time what a terrible thing to say at a time like this. As I get older , I see her wisdom.
  8. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

Feb 15, 2007
    With the obvious being stated already, Steve, I wish you and your family well.
    Regards, Mike
  9. finger

finger TS Member

Sep 27, 2006
    SrSmoke: She and you all are in our prayers as well. Passing on is the last act of living and is natural. Celebrate her life and tell her you love her while you still can.

Remember? Sure I remember them all. I was one of the last to get that polio thing (#14) in 1957. We still have dinner as a family every night. Some things don't change much over the generations. And I was going to quit smoking when they hit 50 cents a pack...wish I had.

You may also include penney candy at the corner store in the glass case, you stood there forever trying to decide which one to buy. bob finger
  10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Sr. Smoke, be gentle unto yourself and your loved ones. I am wishing you and yours the best. And remember those candies made from wax with liquid drinks inside, pickles wrapped in wax, 8 track tapes, and PEZ available almost everywhere?
  11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Hanford, CA
    Steve; I'm sorry for your loss. What a horrible disease. She is in a better place, now.

I'm a 50's kid, too; and I remember all of that stuff. What a great time to grow up. We caught the last of an era.
  12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin
    what was the name of the most terrible tasting chewing gum i ever tried? one was like black licqrice, clove, they also had another one???
    steve balistreri
  13. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I'm thinking of your family tonight. My mother has had it for a few years and doesn't remember much of anything anymore and has forgotten how to walk. I drove 4 hours today to visit my folks and I think she recognized me briefly before she nodded off again. About the same as last Saturday.

I think it's all been a lot harder on my father than on me - they've been married for 63 years. I cleaned out their house last year after they moved to nice place that provides assisted living for my dad and nursing care for my mother. They had all sorts of neat old stuff stashed away. And I thought they'd shown me everything over the years.

They still make a run of Black Jack from time to time.

14. DrPeppersNo1Girl

DrPeppersNo1Girl TS Member

Jan 5, 2008
    My Prayers are with you and your family at this time. My Grandmother had Alzheimers also. Not a pretty thing to watch some one you love go through

Best to you, Jan
  15. TC

TC TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Steve, thinking of you and your family tonight. Went through this with my grandmother many years ago. Tony
  16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Blackshear, Georgia
    Steve, my prayers are with you and your family. The doctors told us that my Mom had alzheimers about two years ago and started Her on medicines that slow down the process. She's doing pretty well so far but I have other family members who have already been ravaged by this disease and feel your pain. It is so sad to be helpless but know that better times await them.

Three Mary Janes for a penny, candy cigarettes and squirrel zippers were found in the local dimestore. Almost forgot the wax lips. I found some Black Jack and Clove gum recently and it was still as good as I remember. Jackie B.
  17. Jamnss

Jamnss TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    You and your family are in our prayers. Both of my grandmothers passed from Alzheimer's. So I know what you are going through. I have added a couple of prayers below, so when our fellow shooters and non-shooters read this post I hope they are can take a moment and read these for your mother in law and for and other fellow shooters who are sick and in need of prayer. It is so amazing how the power of prayer works.

Dear Lord,
    You know my friend so much better than I do. You know his sickness and his need. You also know his heart. Lord, I ask you to be with my friend now, working in his life. Let your will be done in my friend's life. If there is a sin that needs to be confessed and forgiven, Lord, please help him to see his need and confess. Lord, I pray for my friend because Your Word says I should pray for His healing. I believe You hear this earnest prayer from my heart and that it is powerful because of Your promise. I have faith in You to heal my friend, but I also trust in the plan you have for my friend's life. Lord, I don't always understand Your ways, and why my friend has to suffer, but I trust You now. May You be glorified in my friend's life and also in mine.

Alzheimer's Prayer

Dear Lord,
    Please grant my visitors tolerance for my confusion,
    Forgiveness for my irrationality and the strength
    To walk with me into the mist of memory
    My world has become.

Please let them take my hand and stay awhile,
    Even though I seem unaware of their presence.
    Help them to know how their strength
    And loving care will drift slowly
    Into the days to come just when I need it most.

Let them know when I don't recognize them
    That I will. . . I will.
    Keep their hearts free from sorrow for me,
    For my sorrow, when it comes,
    Only lasts a moment, when it's gone.

And finally Lord, please let them know,
    How very much their visits mean,
    How even through this relentless mystery,
    I can still feel their love.

I know tough days are ahead for you and your family, just remember she is going home and it is always bright, sunny and all the targets turn to smoke (always 100's).
    Stay Strong

Jeff Ryals
  18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Sr. Smoke, your family is in my prayers. I am a little younger than some of you, but I remember a few of those things. One of my favorite memories is catching lightning bugs in a jar in the evening, so I could watch them at night. I always let them go later.

I have purchased Black Jack gum and Clove gum at Cracker Barrel. I asked the clerk the last time I was there, and she said that they get it in once or twice per year.
  19. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My condolences. I went thru this with both of my grandmothers.

I also recall:

Pack of cigarettes tucked into the sleeve of a t-shirt; everyone wore blue jeans with the pant legs cuffed up because they all came as one length; Wildroot Cream oil; Burma Shave signs; The Hamms Bear, Albert & Stanley (Grain Belt Beer); Roy and Dale singing Happy Trails to You!
  20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
    Steve....I feel for you and your Mom and family...we lost my wife's Mom to Alzheimers in '07 and my Mom was in the early stages when she died from a stroke in '96....may your Mom be blessed with peace and grace in her final days.

Ron Burr
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.