1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please read, something to think about.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin
    How Old Is grandma?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.

The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general..

The Grandmother replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' television

' penicillin

' polio shots

' frozen foods

' Xerox

' contact lenses

' Frisbees and

' the pill

There were no:

' credit cards

' laser beams or

' ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' pantyhose

' air conditioners

' dishwashers

' clothes dryers

' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first, .. ... ... and then lived together..

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".

And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege...

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam....

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . .. . but who could afford one?

Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' "grass" was mowed,

' "coke" was a cold drink,

' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

' " chip" meant a piece of wood,

' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and

' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.

No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.

How old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old lady in mind....you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

Are you ready ????? SCROLL DOWN

This woman would be only 59 years old.
  2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My grandmothers lifespan started before the Wright brothers first flight and she lived to see man land on the moon.
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I remember those days and miss the hell out of them. I pumped gas for my father for 12.9 cents.
  4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Well, technically it's a little off. Penicillin was put into use in 1943, after the clinical trials went well. From '40-'43, they were experimenting with it. She would have to be at least 68 years old.
  5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin
    I also miss those days. People were nicer to one another. When I was a kid I remember neighbors coming over and asking if they could borrow a cup of sugar or a couple eggs etc. In this day and age I have been living in the same home for 34 years and I don't know the name of the neighbors two houses down on each side of me. I say hello and they run in the house like I am a escaped convict. Maybe it is the gun cases I take out of the car on weekends??? I remember years ago cleaning my 870 in my garage on a nice summer evening. Suddenly two cops pull up and said a neighbor called and said a man had a gun in his garage. I had it all taken a part, cleaning it. The cop asked if I could clean it inside my home as it would make their jobs easier.
  6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And what? Stink up the house with Hoppes? You should have told the cops to tell the neighbor to get a life and stop being a prissy twit.
  7. moserag

moserag Member

Mar 12, 2010
    senior smoke, great post, but it seems that having a husband before a baby was cut pretty close at times. My Mom was born in 1932 and she told me an Uncle of her's had a line about pregnancy and marriage. It seems the first baby can be born anytime, after that it takes 9 months! Dave
  8. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Commercially available since the late 1930s, the television set has become common in homes, businesses and institutions, particularly as a source of entertainment and news. So sayeth Wikipedia. That would make her at least 75.
  9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Commercially available, yes ... but there was no programming until in the 1950s.
  10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I think this has to be updated. I was born in 1946 making me 63 today. And many of the things that were said to be unavailable were. I.E. TV, penicillin, and Air conditioning was invented by Lenox sometime around 1900.
  11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    Damn bunch of nitpickers......just mouthing the bait and not giving it a good strike.

Steve, you should have put up a photo of a Vargas pinup or a Petty girl.

Sneaking a peek at Dad's Esquire or True magazine was a forbidden thrill.

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

May 27, 2007

If she has born before penicillin, then she was born before 1928, when Fleming "discovered" it.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Oxford MA
    It would seem that in the last 59 years(actually it is 65 years as that email was written in 2005)a lot more thing have been invented than history says were invented.

Bob Lawless
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.