1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joconnor, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joconnor

joconnor Member

Write down the serial numbers of your guns. Trish and I had 3 Perazzi combos stolen at the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio this last week. We can't find any of the serial numbers. Jerry O'Connor

2. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Be aware that the gun theives of the world know that this place is just prime with expensive guns.

Ronbo.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yes, been there done that. I had a Winchester Big Bore 375 stolen in the 80's and ever since I write the numbers down and also store them in the PC with a backup disk

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

And to add to what EE says.........not only take lots of pictures, but burn those pictures to a CD and put the CD in your safe or your lock deposit box at your bank/credit union.

Make a couple of copies and keep them in both places..........(just in case of fire, H-bomb attack, etc) (You never know)

Hauxfan!

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

When I first started shooting trap I had a claytarget receiver in my trailer hitch, an NRA sticker in the window and an ATA emblem on the vehicle also.

Found out right quick REMOVE ALL ADVERTISMENTS RELATED TO SHOOTING FROM YOUR VEHICLE. This just helps them home in on your toys.

As for pics and serial numbers, 2 copies, one for me and one to my insurance company so there's no confusion should I have a problem.

Good luck.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Wow that REALLY sucks. Do you guys have separate insurance for the guns?

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The problem he is probably having is insurance companies don't like to hand out cash for stolen guns without a serial number because there is more or less no way of every recovering it. I have three different copies at three different locations, incase of a fire etc. That really is the pits, I feel horrible for you.

Nick

8. Jwints525

Jwints525 TS Member

Joconnor
    Assuming that you had bought these guns new and you have an idea of when and where they were purchased you can go to the FFL holder that you filled out the ATF form 4473. They will have a record of the serial numbers in their 4473 records as well as in their ATF bound book records.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Might just think about some O'Bama stickers & anti-gun stickers for the car. Might just give the thieves a wrong lead. However; some of my shooting bud's might burn the car.

Phil Berkowitz

10. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Jerry,

Check your insurance declarations. You most likely submitted the Ser#'s when you listed the guns on your insurance. (Assuming you did so.) My ser#'s are listed on my declarations.

Scott T

11. joconnor

joconnor Member

Guns are not listed seperatly on insurance, therefore no serial numbers listed. All three guns were purchase on the internet so no records. Nothing but stupidity on our part. Just don't let it happen to you. Jerry O'Connor

12. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Jerry,
    These are firearms and not candy. Someone, somewhere has records of these guns and their serial numbers. Whether it be the FFL that got them shipped, the sellers, the seller's FFL, the original buyer, etc. Someone, somewhere has the numbers. Good luck!

13. markc2

markc2 Member

EE is on the correct trail. Guns purchased on the internet must be shipped to an FFL holder of the purchaser's choice. That FFL holder is required to keep records of ALL firearms transfers that he performs. Go back to the FFL holder that you used for the transfers and he should have a record of the serial numbers. Good Luck! Mark

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

If you have had them serviced the gunsmith will have the serial numbers.

15. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

Insurance is a contract and therefore may vary from company to company and even state to state. That being said, auto policies, at least in my state, exclude the theft of anything which is not attached to the car. Thefts from vehicles, as well as occurring at home or elsewhere, are covered by homeowner's insurance. Most homeowners policies have limitations on how much the basic policy will pay for "high ticket" items like guns, furs, jewelry, etc. To cover these, you generally need a stated value rider, or "inland marine" policy addend. In case of gun theft, you might also check your NRA membership materials--I believe the basic membership includes a small gun theft insurance policy.

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lots of guns are stolen in the San Antonio area. A few years back someone was putting small colored dots on the license plates of the shooters cars/trucks to identify shooters. Then they would check out vehicles at the motels. I guess you cant be to careful.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'm with EE, if purchased over the internet, an FFL has those numbers. Hap

18. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

FREE firearms recordkeeping software (GUNSAFE):

http://www.somanyroads.org/gunsafe/

19. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I'd be awful leary about putting all that stuff on the net.

20. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

You don't put it on the net, you download it to your computer where it stays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.