1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

please help me, new to shotguns for skeet use only

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Po, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Po

Po TS Member

I am new to skeet shooting ,be doing this with my 14 yr old son who follows Boy Scout rules. Is there a light recoil 20 gauge that is not too expensive? It can be a single shot? Are the Rossi matched pairs a good starter or will the kick ruin the fun?
  2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Active Member

28 gauge Remington 870, will break them all, and he can use it thruout his whole life. Stay away from single shots, they are all worthless.
  3. dessivanov

dessivanov Member

If shooting skeet, you would need a repeating shotgun. 28 GA is a great option but it will be pricey. IMO any 20GA auto loader would do. You can weigh it down to smooth your son's swing and will also help with the recoil. Your son can use it for the rest of his life also for hunting and clay shooting. In a couple of years, you can get your son a O/U which would be even more useful.
    Pump, even inexpensive, would be a poor choice for skeet.
  4. mag410

mag410 Member

20 gauge 1100 or 1187 would be my recommendation. Single shots will not work for skeet as you can't shoot doubles with a single shot. 870 Pumps are great guns ,but they are light and kick like hell with standard 7/8 ounce loads. Nothing worse you can do than start a kid on a light hard-kicking gun. If you reload and load lighter loads they are bearable.

Michael
  5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Beretta 390 or 391
  6. build4u

build4u TS Member

Beretta made a 3901RL made just for youth in the shooting programs. It has a reduced length stock with a shorter reach to the trigger and comes with two half inch spacers to lengthen the stock. It comes with an adjustable comb on the stock as well. It was made in two different versions both discontinued however there are still a few around. If you go to shotgunworld.com forums and go to the Beretta section I did a full explanation of the two models. I have Remington 1100s,and 391s which I prefer. I just bought for Christmas 2 391 20 ga. youth guns for my children and they are nice but very light and recoil pretty hard with factory shells, harder than a light load in my 391 12 ga. to me. I did quite a bit of work to get them to cycle lighter 3/4 ounce hand loads,and had the stocks shortened. My kids are 8 and 10 and I also bought two 3901RL models for them when they are a little older now because they were discontinued. The 12 ga is just a touch heavy for now I expect they will be out of the 20 ga in a year. At 14 if he has any size at all go straight to the 12 ga. and get lighter 7/8 or 1 ounce loads below 1200 fps. The 3901rl is nice and Beretta also makes a 391rl model. You will pay more but they will last, work and the resale later will be greater than most. Remington 1100s lack the adjustability of the Beretta. They are less expensive and the 20 ga. youth model was heavier for recoil, I have not shot that model. I have been watching the youth program at our club which is pretty large and I see some of the kids getting pounded with recoil by shell choice, shotgun choice and not bothering with correct fit, buy a gun with adjustability. Remington and Beretta are like the small block Chevy of the shotgun world with lots of parts and accesories available to help you along. Price range can help you on a model choice between the two.
  7. HTSmith

HTSmith Member

20 Gauge autoloader. I have a remington 1100 youth that has started at least a dozen people. I load 3/4 oz loads with green dot. No recoil and smashes skeet targets. The way not to start a person is with an ill fitting, hard kicking shotgun.
  8. jm1079

jm1079 Active Member

I have a Remington 1100 20 gauge LT with a 26 inch barrel w/choke tubes, synthetic stocks (youth or regular size or both). PM me if you are interested. JM
  9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You can on the cheap with a Jr. reloader, load 3/4 oz shells for 20 gauge if your worried about recoil. Recoil not really an issue for most if the gun fits.

Purchase the 20 gauge above. You can always change out the barrel if an interest in the other shooting sports.

P.S. Unless loads of money for shells, stay away from the 28 gauge unless you can reload.
  10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

If it were me I'd PM jm1079. Started my 12 year old daughter on the same gun. 3/4 ounce of 8-1/2 is a real soft shooter, and confidence builder.

Wayne
  11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Po, As said the 28 gauge is too expensive to shoot if you do not reload. As most shooters above have already told you a gas operated auto shotgun will take out some of the recoil for you young son to shoot. This is a good thing as is the fact that automatic shotguns are abit lighter, which will make it easier for your young son to hold the gun up while shooting (compared to a O/U). Rem makes the 1100, 1187 which are gas operated, and Beretta makes the 390,391 which are also gas operated. The beretta's will cost you more to buy, but they require less cleaning, and tend to have less problems for most shooters who are not part gunsmiths as it were. You would also be smart to look for a gun already set up as a youth model that already has the shorter stock your son will need. Try to find a used one right here on this website, or your local gun store or target range. Best of Luck and break em all JEff
  12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

I'd suggest a good, used Rem 1100 LT-20 20ga with either the 21" youth barrel or the more common 26" barrel, which is better pointing for target use. Don't get a Magnum unless it has a non-magnum barrel with it.
  13. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Started several on an "upland" 20 1100- with a cutoff stock

Those had straight english grips *(actually a lot easier for many kids to hold) and either 21 or 23 inch barrels-

Had a shorter magazine tube also

But basically a LT20

big thing is to have a reduced LOP stock and you can get an additional stock or cut one off whichever LT20 you get

Regards from Iowa

Gene
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.