1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please help a pirate...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by droptine, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droptine

droptine TS Member

I,'m a one-eyed, right handed, high ribbed, left eye dominant, patch on the left lens kinda shooter. Last year I had a just under a 94 singles average. Shot about 2500 targets and kept a few notes. What did I learn from my notes? Well, if I didn't suck so bad on hard lefts from post one, I would have about a 98 average...maybe not but I'd definately be better. Hard lefts from post one absolutely eat me alive. If I shoot a 95 or better it is because I got lucky and only got a couple hard lefts from post one over the course of a 100.
    I don't hold a very high gun and I usually hold just over the left corner. Recently I have been experimenting with 2 different holds- just inside and just ouside the corner. I seem to be a little better holding just inside the left corner.
    I just don't track targets as well with my "one eye" going tight left. I would really appreciate any kind of advice on where to hold if you happen to shoot like a "pirate", too.

thanks, EW

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I close my left eye, other than that we are similar. I hold to the left of the trap house on post one and have no problems with hard left targets. I don't lose sight of the target anymore. Bill Malcolm

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

EW- How old are you? How well do you see out of your right eye?

There are ways to improve your one eyed shooting and possibly get you to shooting two eyed.

There are exercises which help to retrain the brain to correct dominance.

Here's the big problem are you willing to give up at least three month of decent scores in order to increase your average by a target or two. Mind you I did say at least 3 months usually it's going to be 6 months to a year.

How right handed are you?

There's a lot that goes in to the vision part of shooting and the better you master it the better your shooting will be.

The only obstacle to anyone shooting better is their motivation and dedication.

Joe

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

EW- A right handed shooter with a dominate left eye will have cross sighting problems most frequently with targets going to the left. This can happen even when the left eye is blocked. If you begin to track a left target and then just as you shoot, the target disappears, your left eye has taken over. It is possible to look under or around the patch that blocks your left eye.

Don't be overly concerned where you point the gun on the house. Be concerned with clearly seeing the target.

My comments may not describe your problem but they do describe mine.

Pat Ireland

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

try lowering your gun hold on post 1. this will give you a chance to see the direction of the bird quicker and thus, move your gun quicker. this worked for me, a patch on the left lens, high rib shooting shooter. jm

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can get some very good hard left practice on a skeet field. Try shooting low house targets from staions 4, 5, and 6. HMB

7. droptine

droptine TS Member

Gun fitter, I am 46, 20/20 out of both right and left eyes and really, I mean really right handed.

I am just leaving for a weekend shoot. I plan on trying some of the suggestions on the practice trap. Thanks to all that have answered.

EW

8. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Hi:
    Try holding the barrel a couple of feet to the left of the front corner of the house when on station one; hold a couple of feet to the right of the right front corner of the house on station five.
    As others have said, focus intently on the bird as you pull the trigger.
    This is a eye/hand coordination sport.
    The hard part for me is constant focus on the bird, and not going back to the barrel to see where the gun is.
    Best to you,
    Dave

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn to read the trap so you don't have to shoot hard left targets. HMB

10. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I am no expert, but I have and am working this very problem, you did not say anything about your stance, I had to open my stance way up,I face almost straight away from the end of the slab, and concentrate on keeping my head on the stock, I also have all your problems, I have trained myself to wink my left eye just as I shoot, I still miss some of them but I break more than I miss now,

Rick

11. 100straight

100straight Member

I have to watch my stance on station 1. As I get older I tend to not be able to swing left as well as I used to, so I have to turn my foot position more to the right, and then rotate my body back to the house.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Droptine,

Phil Kiner has had some good comments to offer about Righties having problems on Lefts from 1, and the role things like "bead checking" play in this...you might seek out his writings on the subject. (You may either lose eye dominance momentarily, and the left eye takes over - looks around the tape - and causes you to shoot a mile in front of the bird...or else you bead-check, and slow down and miss behind).

Kay Ohye told me once that the first barrier for a Right Handed shooter, is learning to shoot rights from 5. Hitting those well gets you from 90~92 percent singles average up to a solid 95. Then, the next biggest problem item becomes hitting the left bird from 1...once you solve that, it moves you from 95% singles up through 96, 97, and eventually beyond, in his opinion.

But you are doing one good thing, by varying your hold point. Somewhere over the house, there will be a "blind" spot for you...a hold spot where you cannot see the bird emerge from the trap. You simply have to become aware of where this spot is, and avoid holding your gun in such a location as to place this unavoidable blind spot in the same place where the target emerges from the house. This will cause you to miss the first few feet of bird travel, which is all it takes to mess you up a fair portion of the time. Go set a clay on top of the left side of the house, and stand back and experiment with different hold points to familiarize yourself with where that "blind spot" is for you.

That blind spot is there, somewhere. Re-locating your gun hold so you don't have that blind spot where the target emerges, means getting just a few feet sooner of an eye lock on that left bird, and that could be all it takes to completely unlock your issue, and jump your average by 2 or 3 birds.

13. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I had one guy tell me for a righty (both eye and hand) shooting two eyes to try focusing on the back edge of the target for lefts rather than the front and you aren't as likely to shift your eyes. It didn't really work for me but maybe it will for you????

14. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I can't hit the straight or straight looking ones...Bill

15. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

EW

I am a left eye dominant right handed shooter. There are ways to overcome this and shoot some decent scores. Email me (drop the XX) and I will tell you the little I know about overcoming this.

Vince McNamara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.