1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please give me a good goose recipe

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Shot a couple canada's this evening and just took the breasts off them, Every way before I've tried to cook these they are awful. Going to try again can someone help???
  2. David P.

David P. TS Member

Aug 29, 2006
    I hunted geese until I finally shot one. If you are creative enough you can make jerky, spagetti sauce, stew, etc... but if you are that creative you could probably make a work boot edible. There is a reason there are so many around. There are plenty of other things to shoot out there that only require cooking as opposed to disguise. I am sure you will have many contrary answers, but I don't bother anymore!!
  3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Skin the bird, do not waste time plucking it. After removing the entrails, rinse the interior and stuff it with 2 apples and 1 orange. Pre heat the oven to 350 and open a beer. Drink the beer.

Then throw the goose in the ditch and put a steak in the oven.

The apples and orange will attrack coons and skunks. The carcuss will be gone in the morning.

All kidding aside, we make jerky out of the breast and leg meat, and it is quite good. Cabelas has various jerky blends that are good with waterfowl. The meat works well for jerky.
  4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    cut the 2 breasts out, trash the rest.

slice into jerky, soy sauce and brown sugar and put in the dehydrator.

THE ONLY way I will eat goose.

Its actually really good then.

Only thing that keeps me shooting geese. Both Snow and canadas.
  5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Jerky is the way to go. Or, bake them and grind into sandwich spread. You know, eggs, relish, onions,..... If you kill it, eat it!!

PS - Doesn't apply to trapping!!

6. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

Dec 22, 2007
    You have to get the fat out of the meat to get rid of the gamey taste. I finally found that you use only the breast, cut it into 1+ inch cubes then cover with water, add some salt and boil until the meat starts to turn gray. Then pour off the water and rinse the meat. The next step is to brown it in olive oil then use in chili or stew. Tastes just like sirloin...well almost.

Good Luck,
  7. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Inject with red wine, let sit over night, then deep fry, just like a turkey. Best goose you will every have, PLUS..it will NOT be greasy.
  8. james dent

james dent TS Member

Jan 29, 2010
    cut into cubes an soak them in itlain dressing overnight that breaks down the fat a get rid of the game tast then breaded them fry them and but hot sauce on them taste good
  9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    We cooked one in an oven bag once with apple and pork sausage in the bread stuffing. Delicious.

It was skinned, of course.

Wifey made a casserole, parboil goose meat with a little baking soda till the ugly floats up, drain and pan stew till tender. put in casserole with wild rice & mushrooms. Also yummy.

10. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Feb 16, 2008
    If you don't like this, you don't like food.

Fillet (butterfly) the breast
    Soak in a mixture of salt water and red wine vinegar for 2 days and drain
    Marinate for 3 days in
    6 tablespoons of soy sauce
    3 tablespoons of lemon juice
    1 cup brown sugar
    A taste of garlic
    ½ teaspoon of meat tenderizer
    Stuff with jalapeno rings
    Optional – add crème cheese filling
    Wrap with bacon
    Cook on gas grill on medium for 7 minutes per side

Stuff with Greek or Italian sausage instead of jalapenos
  11. Mapper

Mapper Member

Aug 10, 2008
    SW Michigan
    My son used to make jerky out of them. Barbeque jerky. However, I ate some goose in Canada once that was really good. The chef had skinned and scraped the fat off and wrapped the whole goose(well that what remained) in bacon and roasted it. he may have done some other things too, but didn't mention them,.
  12. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Aug 22, 2010
    The soak in Salt Water and Red Wine Vinegar is an absolute must.
    Butterfly both breast halves even if your not going to stuff them.
    This is one of the best ways to remove the dirty work sock taste out of these birds.

If you like there is also another trick to do the same. Perform the saltwater (- the vinegar) bath for one day and then (day two) try a marinade of Mojo (sour Orange and Garlic) and squeeze 3-6 lemons and limes into the marinade. I usually dump at least two more garlic cloves into the marinade just for giggles.

This will remove all of the dead bloated game taste. I use a lot of fresh ground black pepper and then stuff the breast halves with with pineapple and mandarin oranges or mangos. Roll the breast halves and string them like a rolled roast.
    Sear/brown in a hot pan then place in the dutch oven at no more than 250 degrees for about two / two and a half hours until they fall apart.
    You can add 1 cup of chicken stock to keep it moist. Add potatoes, onion, carrots or other vegetables.

((Or)) quickly sear / brown the meat then grill them on a good charcoal grill, place the meat in the center of the grill, move the coals to surround the meat in a doughnut shape all around the meat. You want to grill it slowly and smoke the hell out of it at the same time. Brush with peanut or veg oil both sides every time you turn the meat. Don't salt the meat until 10 minutes before you pull it off the grill. Sometimes I don't use the fruit stuffing I'll substitute bacon. Smoked Pork fat Rules!!

And then there is always Jerky if you can't figure out anything else to do with it.
  13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Iowa man!!
    I pick them and roast like a turkey them until tender. The key word is tender. Some of these birds can live 30 years and they will never be tender. Those are best treated otherwise. I boil them and then pick apart the breasts and cook them with my own BBQ sauce. I did the slice and marinate/grill the the other day and they were still tough. No one ever complains about a bad taste either way.
    I have never ever had a goose that tasted bad.
  14. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    When I was living up north I loved to hunt Canadians and my wife learned a lot about cooking them.

We took the breasts, slit them and inserted garlic cloves in and baked them like a chicken breast...Then we would slice the breasts and put them in a pan of hot Heinz Roast Beef Gravey...Everyone we ever served these to thought they were eating roast beef and just loved them....

Just another idea, Dave in SC
  15. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Northwestern PA.
    I save enough goose breasts until I get about 20 lbs. Grind up the meat and add 5 lbs of fatty ground beef. Add sausage seasonings and stuff into casings. Sometimes I mix a high temp cheese with the meat also. Cook sausage until inside temp is 160 degrees. Let cool, slice and eat on crackers with a dab of mustard. There isn't anyone that has tried it that doesn't like it. Great to take out in the blind too.
  16. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Upstate Western New York
    A friend takes the breasts to a local processor in 25# lots. He has it cured and smoked. It's the best ham I've ever eaten. The processor charges $1.50/lb to do it.
  17. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    I hate to admit it but zeroed recipe sounds good. A brine soak is a must. I'm a big fan of brining over night then about 5 hours in the smoker with applewood chips. Delicious. Good luck Chuck Hrosik
  18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aug 27, 2007
    West Central Florida
    Best "Goose" recipe. Drop a quarter on the floor stand behind her when she bends over to pick it up lightly pinch the derrierre. Best goose you can get. Bulge. LOL.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
  19. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Go to WWW.cdkitchen.com and look for savory wild goose stew- don't neglect the Greek seasoning recipe on WWW.allrecipes.com - which is required

this is simply the best goose stew I have ever made - even my bro-in-law, who is no mean trencherman proclaims it outstanding and superlative
  20. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Little Rock
    Next time save the whole bird. Inject with some type/brand of garlic butter injectable seasoning. Coat with your favorite cajun type seasoning and deep fry in peanut oil for 3 to 3 and 1/2 minutes per pound at 325.

I did 4 out at the Gun Club a while back and nothing was left but the bones.

As someone already said, I thought it had a roast beef taste too, only better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.