1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please Explain WHY!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stkelly62, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stkelly62

stkelly62 TS Member

I've got a legimate question regarding a new combo gun. My son shoots a BT-99 for singles and handicap and an XT Trap for doubles. I'm looking to get him a good combo that will last him a long time. What makes a Perazzi,Kolar,Krieghoff which costs upward of 12,000+ any better than a Browning XT combo? Do these guns last longer or hold up better? He shoots very well with the Browning's and i've run a few 25's as well with them, So whats the real deal here? Honestly I don't know.Any advice you could give would be of great assistance.I'll be shopping at the Grand on the 6th at the SCTP Championships and would like to trade up.
    Thanks
    Scott

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

the other guns might make you feel better, but brownings are hard to beat for durability

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

A good $12,000 combo should last three lifetimes and a lower priced Browning only one or two lifetimes. First, get a combo that fits him and he shoots well. After you find that, then look at who manufactured the combo. The brand name is secondary to the gun fit.

Of course, if he is shooting his present guns well, why bother looking for others. Most of us have been through several disappointments caused by buying very nice guns that we could not shoot.

Pat Ireland

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Let me ask you the $64 question. You spend $12K for a P-Gun combo. You just bought the Cadillac of the Target gun world right? Then the first thing you do is send you barrels off to Jimmy Eyster or Wilkenson and have them tuned. Then send the trigger out and have it done. Then have the stock cut and put some sort of recoil reducing doo dad on there or buy a PFS, what the hell, It's only money right? Now, lets look at the XT Combo. You can get yourself a beautiful unsingle gun for around $3500. Send the barrel out if you want, Send the gun out and have the trigger done and put the PFS on it too. All things being equal, I doubt you will ever break a hammer spring on the line in the shootoffs with the Browning. Take the $8500 savings and put it in his college fund. Let him shoot the Browning until he gets to college and then let him buy his own P-Gun if he still wants one.

Jeff

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just a small side thought ... but if he shoots them well and they are in good shape why get him a new gun at all?

If he is growing out of them why not just get him an new BT99 and a new XT or get the current ones fully serviced and made good as new after the Grande?

6. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Pat Ireland says -

"A good $12,000 combo should last three lifetimes and a lower priced Browning only one or two lifetimes. First, get a combo that fits him and he shoots well. After you find that, then look at who manufactured the combo. The brand name is secondary to the gun fit.

Of course, if he is shooting his present guns well, why bother looking for others. Most of us have been through several disappointments caused by buying very nice guns that we could not shoot."

Perfect.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

In the May issue of Trap and field under the Ask the ALL-Americans equipment summary, I count 14 brownings currently being shot with great success by All- Americans.

shannon

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you can duplicate the sight picture, the fit, and the point of impact on both guns, you may even have an advantage over the combo gun, and that would be longevity, since each receiver would be getting less use than a combo gun's.

Also, if you're serious enough about a combo gun, my son has like new Beretta 682 Gold Combo with lot of extras for way less than 12k ($3200). Email me if you'd like more info or pictures.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I finally bought a Perazzi because they are well made, all the barrels in a combo have the same feel and swing, and all the barrels shoot to the same POI (or are at least most likely to). I really didn't want to spend the money. However, after going the Browning route, then the Beretta combo route, I decided I was just wasting more and more money trying to cheap it out. I bit the bullet and am much happier for it.

If I knew at the beginning what I know now, I'd have started with a good Perazzi International Trap O/U, with a custom adjustable stock that fit, custom choke tubes, and selectable trigger. Then I'd shoot that gun for everything. I say Perazzi because I like the way they feel and move. A Kolar, Krieghoff or Beretta SO-5 would do if I liked the way they handled better. A Browning or lesser Beretta is just not in the same class- not in quality, longevity, barrel convergence, or any other metric.

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Having a gun which will last 2 - 3 lifetimes doesn't appear financially effective. Since we each only have 1 lifetime, what good are the other two or three? Just wondering.... Best Regards, Ed

11. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

If you are in this for a lifetime, then why not buy the best you can afford now and measure the cost over your lifetime. Would you rent a $12,000 trap gun for $300 a year for 40 years? If you can't afford the best, then buy what you can afford. There are plenty of guys that can shoot well with a $1000 trap gun, and do. There's no reason to knock expensive trap guns. Besides, if you shop around for a good used $12,000 gun, you just may get it for $8,500 and make out well because it will always have that as a re-sale value.

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I do not count, but I am about 175,000 into my Browning Plus combo. Had it rebuilt about 30,000 ago. I have NEVER had one problem that stopped me from shooting. Lots of work done to it, and it is at Allor's now for tweaking. I have looked at the new brownings, and they are more gun than my old plus combo is. I would not hesitate on the browning...........

GS

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

All of these guns are very different. How they shoulder, point, and fire. There is a world of difference between shooting doubles with a P-Gun and a Browning. I happen to shoot an old Browning for doubles, but Perazzis point better. If I thought that switching would get me from A to a AA pin, I would do it in a heartbeat. On doubles, it is what you get used to - the rest is practice and practice. Handicap is where the higher grade guns begin to earn their money. So I am not into a high end combo, but I do believe in high end single barrel handicap guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.