1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PLEASE EXPLAIN THE PURPOSE OF HIGH RIBS.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scala, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scala

Scala TS Member

Being new at Trap I would like to inquire as to the purpose of the very high ribs that one sees on both OU and unsingle/topsingle guns. Both ATA and Bunker shooters are using them and I would like to better understand their purpose.

- Is the height adjustment at the comb of the stock not sufficient for adjusting the POI?

- Are the ribs adjustable for height and inclination?

- Some Bunker shooters hold a high gun and the high rib allows them to see low targets that would otherwise be obscured by the barrels. ATA however has no low targets, so what is the purpose there?

- Can an existing low rib gun accept a high rib without raising the comb by an equal amount?

- Have many people converted guns to high ribs with positive results?

Many questions for sure but I'd be most appreciative for your responses.

2. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

From what I can understand the high rib has a couple purpose and that is to make up the difference between the barrel when shooting a O/U that only has the bottom barrel. Also it allows you to stand up naturally instead of dropping your head to the stock,( you should bring the gun to you not go to the gun) but with that said you have to raise the comb.It also allows you to shoot higher which is what you want in trap. I am sure someone will correct me and add other reasons. I hope this helped some
    Pete

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The advantages of the high rib are less heat waves on a hot day and you can keep your head a little more upright. The drop at the comb of the stock is relative to the top of the rib and must be raised for an add on high rib. The disadvantages are that some shooters have a tendency to use the mass of the barrel rather than the rib for instinctive pointing a shotgun. I have had the high rib TMX for 23 years but I admit that the conventional rib MX3 is more intuitive especially in conditions of poor lighting.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

5. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

Then every top shooter I ever saw went for the gimmick.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ask Kay Ohye what he thinks!!

7. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

Scala--Ck out my thread- BERETTA SHORT HIGH RIB- some interesting comments by JEFF HOLQUIN-silver medalist DOUBLE TRAP BEJING last week....MIKE

8. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

They Look COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I don't care what other people think or say is a gimmick. Common cents would tell you that Devault would say that because they like the money there custom stocks bring in that creates the same heads up design most of us get with the higher ribs. Which are a top of the line custom stock. There infinity shotgun also has a shorter rib, go figure. I like the highest rib I can get (like my Kolar Max T/A has. That is what I am used to and that's what I feel the most comfortable using. I have shot my sons top single a few times and it just will not cut it. I like seeing the rib with the higher ribbed guns and not the barrel of the shorter ribbed ones. My two cents and buy what you feel best with.

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

High ribs have three basic reasons, or advantages (for those who can use/shoot them). First, a higher rib will place your head in a more upright position, vis-a-vis the gun. This results, for many, in less fatigue over an extended shooting session, since neck muscles, etc are less stretched. Second, the higher rib allows for better visibility of the target, since the barrel is well below the line of sight and does not obstruct vision as much. Thirdly, in theory, the higher rib allows for better heat dispersion, thus less target distortion on hot days or when the gun is heated. Of these three, the first seems to help most who try/use higher ribs. The second advantage (more target visibility) helps many, but there are those who apparently instinctively use the barrel (sub-consciously) to help with target alignment, and these folks have difficulty in using the high rib. This also appplies to using an unsingle, as it works in the same way, keeping the barrel lower than the rib and out of the main line of sight. As for the third, while it is theoretically true, I have never seen seen enough heat distortion coming off a barrel to have any actual effect on shooting, but suppose it is possible if the day is hot enough.

Overall, most who try a higher rib seem to like it better, probably because of the more heads up shooting posture allowed, but also for the improved ability to pick up the target quickly. I even see a few high ribs being used in skeet today also, so it is spreading. But like all things in shooting, whether it works for you is something you have to try for yourself and see whether you like it, and whether it helps. Also, if you do raise the rib on a low rib gun, you do have to raise the comb by the same amount as the rib is raised in order to keep the same POI.

Jim R

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I recently had the pleasure of shooting a K-80 Unsingle Trap Special with the high rib (Pro-Rib). I really liked it. I agree with jimrich60's assessment.

I must also add that I am a one-eyed shooter, and therefore, when I shoot my standard-rib gun, my hold point is on the roof of the house. With the Pro-rob, I can hold about 18-24" above the roof of the hose, still see the bird come out of the house, and make a quicker shot.

...just my experience with a high-rib gun...which granted, is rather limited.

bluedsteel

12. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

I love mine....Mine hates me.. Darn high rib.
    Don

13. Scala

Scala TS Member

Thanks guys, all good input.

Obviously a high rib (I'm talking here about the Very High ribs) requires a high comb so as to have proper sighting. The POI adjustment is then handled as usual by the inclination of the rib and/or the height adjustment of the comb above the basic figure 8 sighting level.

Frankly I can only see a benefit at Bunker when those very low targets can be seen through/below the rib when holding a high gun. The ATA game has no such targets and most shooters hold at most 1-2 ft above the house thus requiring no high rib.

BTW do these guns swing as easy as a low rib?

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am a gifted person as you could say, as I can shoot either a low rib w/100% point of impact or a High rib w/ 100% POI, The Caesar Guerini un-single to me is actually the best of both worlds, has a higher rib and will shoot higher out of the box than a K-80 Special or a Kolar T/S or the new Kolar TA.or the Perazzi RS or the new Perazzi high rib.

Price is the next best thing, being less costly than either of the the above mentioned models and a terrific warranty, and service.

If you send a Browning in for service be prepared to be w/o the gun for an extended period of time, Kolar has good service, better than Kreighoff or Perazzi. And Wes Lang of CG is very fgast w/service.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They make Boobies look bigger

16. JTEA

JTEA Member

People with shorter necks don't understand why hunching over a shotgun can limit your ability to shoot well. Drop the pad only, then you're holding your hands higher and the gun mass is in a higher plane. Makes it harder to swing.

Watch a trap line and notice how many shooters during the day are twisted over their stocks. Then picture them if their heads were only 3/4" more vertical. Also, when you hunch over, your head rolls forward, your eyes are then looking more "upwards". Will the target move beyond your vertical vision and is there more strain on the eyes? Are you using the top of your eyeglasses and looking through them at more of an angle etc.? JT

17. Scala

Scala TS Member

Good way to look at it JTEA.

Given that my own posture is straight up and with the eyes in a horizontal line I guess I won't be needing a very high rib.

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Why are high ribs more popular in trap than in skeet or sporting clays.

19. Scala

Scala TS Member

"Why are high ribs more popular in trap than in skeet or sporting clays."

Good question highflyer but I'm still trying to figure out why they are so popular in ATA.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I can still recall the TMX craze many years ago when Frank Little began shooting one. We sold quite a few and had about half come back within a year. Seems many shooters couldn't shoot 'em!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
high rib shotgun advantages
porpose of high rib gun

purpose of a high rib

urpose of high shotgun ribs
using a highrib shotgun for trap
what is the prupose of a high rib shotgun
what is the purpose of a high rib on a trap gun
what is the purpose of high rib