1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please explain Ljutic Company being sold

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Dog Dad, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

I have been out of trapshooting for a long while and am now just getting back into it. Long ago, I wanted a Ljutic and have started watching the postings on this forum. I'm seeing that the company was sold. Could someone explain this to me and are there any ramifications with buying a new one or should I look for an older one? Any info, history, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

That company has been bought and sold more times than Chrysler. I don't think it has hurt the quality any, but the resale is attrocious. Buy a used one and let someone else take the hit.

There are some very good deals on this site right now.

ss

3. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

I hate to sound totally stupid, but is or are there particular models I should avoid? I've noticed that Ljutics depreciate faster than other makers. Does anyone have an explanation of this?

Mike

4. pdq

pdq Member

As a former Ljutic owner I think the reason for the rapid upfront depreciation is the fact that they aren't widely known, and more people don't understand what terrific, massively built, quality guns they are. They don't produce an annual volume anywhere's close to K or P guns, so they aren't a dime a dozen on the gun rack, therefore they aren't a household name. But then again, when was the last time you heard of a Ljutic barrel blowing up or trigger breaking?

Because they aren't as well known as other makes, their re-sale value is affected -- instead of fighting this phenomenon, take advantage of it. As someone else stated, there are terrific deals on this list for used Ljutics, often in excellent condition. If you've shot one, it points well, and you break targets better than with whatever you are currently shooting, give one a try.

Lots of gun for the money -- just my opinion.

Pete

5. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

No matter who is currently running Ljutic you can rest assured knowing that they are built with the same quality and craftmanship as from day one. Ljutic is a smaller company dedicated to building a custom fit target shotgun for the shooter having it built. You can buy a used Ljutic and it will outlast any production gun hands down.

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Lutic was sold in 2005 and then changed hands again last year. Jimmy Ljutic and Nadine are still as involved as ever. They still build the finest SBT on the market in my opinion. You can still get parts for any gun they've ever made, but you won't ever need any.

If you're thinking of getting one, just do it. You won't be sorry.

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

If you believed the posters on this site, this gun "ljutic" is just the best. The market says something else. Who will you believe the posters or the market? I owned one, made it to the 27 with it as well. I sold it and never looked back. I have spoken to another shooter, who has made our state team many time and did the same as I did. Why? not the barrel or the pattern, they are exceptional. It is not the custom fit if you go to ljutic, they are wounderful. We both had trigger issues that could not get resolved. Sent them to Ljutic, they would come back fine and after awhile the problem would come back. It's a dirty secret about this manufacture. Now, this is a very small almost undetectable issue, but if you are shooting competitive targets, unacceptable. I don't even think most shooters who have this issue are aware of what it is, just that something is wrong, some dissatisfaction that they can not put their head around and they sell it, willing to take a bath and let the next guy do the same. The common belief is that the trigger is simple and indestructible, I know different and know that the trigger on a gun is probably the most import part. The market knows! Bruce

8. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Bruce is almost correct about Ljutic having a "trigger problem" from time to time. The truth is the only problems with Ljutic triggers are that they seldom get pulled enough! Ljutic triggers are as good as it gets.

9. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

If you want to buy a trapgun to SELL....stay the heck away from Ljutics.
    If you want to buy one to keep and SHOOT.....find a good used one that "works" for you, get the h*ll off the "gun market" and plan to enjoy it for DECADES.

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Bruce - so what's the problem you experienced with the trigger? Be specific. Your post was not detailed enough for people who want to know. There's a life span to everything and a weak part in every machine. Anything that moves will wear. Even Ljutic's go back in for maintenance.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Dixie',

My comment was nothing other than an observation that has been developed over years of watching guns being bought and sold. Some of us can't afford to buy a $7,000 + shotgun and then take a 50% hit on it a year later when we discover it really just didn't work for our style. On the other hand if I buy a used one, at 50% less than the going price for new, and don't like it I can pretty much get my money back.

I can count on one hand how many shooters I know that are still shooting the same gun that they were shooting 5 years ago. It's in our nature to change guns every couple of years.

ss

12. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I don't agree with Dixie, it's not a love it or hate it proposition for me. I have been asked to expand on this trigger issue. It has been commented that all triggers need to be sent in for work time to time. I can only comment on my experience with this trigger. I did send it in for work to ljutic as did my friend. It's just not that simple. I also replaced springs on a regular basis, kept it clean, made sure there was no problem with the firing pin. I have spoken to an expert on triggers who commented that most triggers are made with improper metals. You can tune them but they degrade due to the metals not being the correct ones. I don't know if this is the case with Ljutic but it is something and mine was not the only case I know of. If you are a competitive shooter, which I am, shoot over 5 figures of targets a year you probably have come to the same conclusion I have. The trigger in your gun is the biggest determinate as to the guns ability to help you with consistent performance. Nothing upsets your head like a slightly imperfect trigger. The common comments are that the Ljutic trigger is simple and bullet proof. I just have to say "the king has no clothes". Bruce

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bruce, did you shoot your Ljutic with a pull trigger?

14. Gil

Gil Member

Big Dog, When I returned from Europe I tried to shoot my SO-4 just like I did in bunker. It just did not work. I first bought a Ljutic Mono gun with a release trigger and found success. I did have to have the trigger worked on after 100,000 rounds. Just to be prepared, I bought another trigger from Ljutic which is still in my bag. I do check the trigger with a spring that I learned from Steve Hawking many years ago. It does not change. You can find super deals on used Ljutics. In my opinion, Ljutics are not easy to shoot. The triggers are fast but they do not break. After some success with the Mono gun, I bought a Bi-gun. So far, that has not worked as I am seemingly permanently stuck in class A doubles. If money is tight, a used Ljutic is a best bet. George Miller

15. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Of all the Ljutics I own, and have owned over the years (since the mid-1980's when I got my first one).....the only one to REALLY "cost" me to own is the one I bought brand-spankin' new. I'll never seriously compete with another gun...and I'll never buy another one brand new.
    Your experience might differ...this is mine.

16. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Toolmaker, I started with a pull trigger and when I started to flinch went to a factory release. I'm not saying what was true for me is true for all, just that the common statements about the ljutic is not true. It can be bullet proof but not always. It is a mystery as to why this gun depreciates the way it does. Shooters are willing to pay premium prices for them then sell them for a disproportional loss. Did they put down their monies without trying them? I don't think so. I can not believe that someone would spend the type of monies required to buy one without trying and falling in love with it. Then why are these same shooters (I was one of them) selling them for such a loss? I'm suggesting that the trigger, which is held is such high esteem, may be the answer (it was for me). If someone can come up with a different answer to the mystery, please post it. Thanks Bruce

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting my Ljutic 73 since 1983 and although I don't put the number of rounds through it as "Bruce", I've probably shoot 30K targets since Ljutic rebuilt my pull trigger and I've had zero problems...you state that Ljutic is using the wrong steel in thier triggers...please be more specific about which part has failed for you...

Ron

18. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Sorry Ron, I may have misled you. I only said that an expert that I respect greatly has stated that most of our gun makers come from a gunsmithing background not a metallurgy background and that it his experience that because of this, they do not use the proper metals. He went on to say that undesirable ware,loss of tolerances, distortion of parts are all possible due to improper metal use. I am surmising that this is what may be happening in some of the Ljutic triggers. There is no other reason that I can see to explain the subtle trigger issues I experienced in my trigger. They are in my opinion a simple and elegant trigger design than should (with proper maintenance) but does not always operate flawlessly. Bruce

19. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

I own a older Ljutic, with with a 6xx serial number had it rebuilt last yr by Ljutic. I enjoy shooting the gun it shoots were it look, and smokes the target hard when I do my part. I didn't get the gun to be a trader, I simply enjoy the hertiage that comes with the product, it has never failed. I feel that when I step to the line I can depend on it to perform, it is the confidence I enjoy.

No all of life is to be measured by $$$.

20. Hellcat

Hellcat TS Member

Bruce, I understand your not impressed by Ljutic triggers. Whose triggers impress you. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ljutic company