1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please explain a "money punch"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Scoutman 06, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Active Member

Please explain a

I have gotten back into trap after a layoff of several years & am hearing the term "money punch" which I hadn't heard before. How does this work? I have a PITA rules book & don't see it mentioned. John

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Please explain a

I'm not exactly sure of the specifics but there is an ATA rule that states that if you win more than either $600 or $750 in an event you'll get a punch. I'm sure others will fill in what I've missed.

Eric

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Please explain a

Not sure about PITA, the ATA added the "money punch" 2004.

Winning a total of $750 or more of option and added money earns 1 yard. $1200 earns 1 1/2 yards. Since the ATA does not encourage Calcutta's/special events, I would assume that any money won through one is not included.

Jason

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Please explain a

"Special Event" money is most definately NOT included thankfully.

Eric

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Please explain a

The kicker is that the yardage stays for two years. Another attempt to discourage yardage management. LOL!

Buz

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Please explain a

The main reason for the money punch was to give yardage to target managers who would clean up on the 50's Option but somehow never got a punch for their total score on the 100.

7. Bubba

Bubba Member

Please explain a

The money punch has been a tremendous boon to trapshooting. It has driven many who got lucky on one day when the stars and planets got in perfect alignment and had a good score out of the game. Being overhandicapped is something the 27 yard shooters love to see happen to anyone that is not on the 27.

8. doctordennis

doctordennis TS Member

Please explain a

BUBBA you big whining baby!!!

9. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Please explain a

One simple explanation for it. A childish act by a bunch of shooters, who like to call themselves delegates, for a better choice of words. And additionally voted on by some that could not accomplish such a great feat as to earn such a huge some of monies. But also by those that believe it great for a 27 yarder to do so. Again, in my opinion, "CHILDISH".

10. patch

patch Active Member

Please explain a

The money punch,in my opinion,is an unfair rule.It penalizes a shooter that basically gets lucky and in my opinion puts them at a yardage that they cannot compete on.Think about it if somone gets lucky and wins $700.00 on a lewis class or gets lucky at a big shoot and breaks the only 25, they get yardage.I believe you should get yardage only if you win or shoot a 96,97,98,99,or100.Thats what it means to earn your way back to the 27.If someone is breaking 25, and 50,s at the big shoots and it is obvious they are missing after that then thats where the known ability rule comes into effect.I believe it is another way to get average shooters out of the way where the 27 yard shooters can win trophys not money.I have never heard any of the big name shooters talk about sandbagging. They know the only person you have to really compete against is yourself. Don't worry about the other guy if you break them all you have got a first place score.

11. crash46

crash46 TS Member

Please explain a

The money punch is the worst rule ever put in trapshooting. I know people who really can't afford to shoot registered targets, who can't even play the 25's and 50's for fear of getting yardage that they can't possibly get off for two years.

It is a known fact that if you are going to compete at longer yardage, you have to shoot a lot of targets. So why do these guys that are in charge and make the rules want to make it so hard on the ordinary shooter who can't really afford to shoot to start with!!!

I would say that 95% or more of the people that are on the 27, did not arrive there since this rule was introduced. So why should the true ameatur shooters be forced into this situation by this stupid rule?!

P.S. You always have and always will have sanbaggers!!!

12. patch

patch Active Member

Please explain a

I am glad to see that someone besides me has finally spoken up and said something about this being an unfair rule.I know i have not spoken to anyone who agrees with this rule other than 27yd shooters.And alot of them disagrees with it for the simple fact that they think it hurts the 25's and 50's option purses.If you make it too hard on the little guy he will have to quit shooting.All response to this thread,agreeing or disagreeing,will be apprecciated and respected.

13. BAMA

BAMA TS Member

Please explain a

Come on...give me a break. It amounts to 36 to 54 INCHES, if someone can't adjust to that short distance then maybe they need to consider another hobby.

Bama

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Please explain a

One only gets a punch for money if they win $750 or more with a score that does not earn a punch (96 or higher).
    Information provided by the CHC when this rule was passed included:
    1. They could not find from past Grand records any instance where someone had won $750 or more from a Lewis purse without also shooting a score that automatically gave them a punch based on their score.
    2. There were a few shooters who always played the 50's purses, and only the 50's purse, shot from the 20 yard line, frequently broke 50-75 straight in a handicap events but never Bourke a score that would earn a punch. Some of these shooters also were AA singles shooters.

I would agree that it would have been better to address the problem directly with the few shooters who certainly appeared to be abusing the system rather than pass a general rule that affects everyone. However, it is a pattern in our society to pass general regulations rather than address specific problems.

It is rare for one to win $750 in a handicap event without shooting a score of 96 or better and earning a punch based on score. We did have a few shooters who could shoot handicap scores like 25,25,24,15 frequently. These shooters elected to only play the 50's option. The punch for money did eliminate this problem.

I leave for Middletown this morning. I will contact a member of the CHC and get the names, if any, of the punches for money during the 2007 year. I will review their scores at each shoot for the entire year. I did do this two different times for the shooters who got a punch for money in 2006 and my conclusion was that all but one of them should have gotten a punch for known ability years ago. I will report back to this site when I return from Middletown next week.

Pat Ireland

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

Please explain a

Look at it this way.

You "get lucky" with the wife just one time, and in turn you do the dishes for two years. The next time "it" happens you get to do the neighbors' dishes too.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Please explain a

This rule obviously does not sit well with the short yardage shooters who would rather stay at short yardage ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Please explain a

What am I missing here? Seems to me that if you don't want a "money" punch then don't play the money options. But then, I don't always have a clear view of the obvious.

18. Bubba

Bubba Member

Please explain a

doctordennis, bend over.

19. crash46

crash46 TS Member

Please explain a

Pat, you keep reffering to rare and few when talking about these people ,so if it is so rare and so few ,why do we need this stupid rule?

20. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Please explain a

crash46 - I think you missed the part when he said the rule eliminated some goofy scores like 25, 25, 24, and 15 in the same round. So it is now a preventative measure. Read it closely, you must win a lot of money at handicap without getting a normal yardage punch. You guys are just making up excuses for not shooting ATA targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.