1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please e-mail this Principal......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cafowler, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cafowler

cafowler Member

I saw this story on the news tonight. The ding-dong principal sent a young kid home to change his shirt cause he was wearing a T-shirt he'd got at the SCTP shoot at the Sparta World Shooting Complex, which has the Sparta symbol showing a shotgunner & archer on the front, and the words "I love the smell of gun powder in the morning" on the back.

This young 8th grader apparently did very well at the SCTP shoot, winning a number of medals, and now doesn't understand why his sport, or his success is being challenged by what should be an adult role model for the kid. Basically the kid was sent home, not expelled, for having the Sparta World Shooting Complex emblem on his shirt!!! This just burns me. The school is Buljan Middle School, located in Roseville, CA. I'd ask that you drop the Principal and his Superintendant a nice e-mail letting them know if you disagree with their over the top reaction. The SCTP program has exploded in this area & Nor Cal, with a number of high schools having teams. The kid was interviewed on TV and simply said he doesn't understand why this has happened, and you could hear it in his voice. He also showed other t-shirts with the SCTP symbol on them he's worn to school before with no problems, but now this time he is sent home and feels his success is being attacked.

I believe the correct e-mails are;
    gregg@rcsdk8.org for Greg Gunn, Principal
    richp@rcsdk8.org for Rich Pierucci, Superintendent

If you feel this is an unjust reaction to this young man's success at a sport we all love, please let them know how you really feel. I'd love to see both of their in-boxes overflowing with a thousand e-mails of protest when they get in on Tuesday.

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

They need to know about the Rutherford Law Office that took the case that was the samething. It was Albemarle County Vs a Student. He was wearing a NRA shirt that had a rifle, pistol and shotgun shooter on it. The kid won the court case. NRA also helped in court.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't know what their school dress code states but thats a little extreme in my opinion. I guess some of the goth dress attire with everything but their eyeballs pierced would be a better look. The general public and schools need to wake up and smell the coffee. If they continue to knock, slam and ban the positive influnences in this country the REAL negatives will take over fast.----Matt

4. cafowler

cafowler Member

I agree with you both. Just a bump to the top.

Please post up if you agree/disagree, and if you have let the Principal/Super know how you feel.

I've been so impressed with all the young kids I've met at shoots throughout the years, both trap, skeet and sporting. I think the imersion of the kids with the adults during/after shoots helps give them a jump start on getting ahead in life. A local club I shoot at has Family Night every wednesday, and there are tons of kids, moms, etc; Matinez Gun Club.

The short video attached above really shows the true family nature of SCTP. I think maybe this video should be blasted out to every teacher and school in the country. I can't think of a bette sport for kids to learn respect and responsibility. Shooting is an Olympic sport, Gang-banging Drive-bys aren't, teachers should be able to tell the difference.

Again, please take a minute to e-mail these folks and let them know how you feel about this. Thanks.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I emailed them and let them know of my disappointment. On a side note, I think that the principal should have to change his last name in order to work in the California school system. He sets a bad example.

6. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Where's the ACLU now, they run from this kind of violation of freedom of speech!!! They should step in and help this kid.....it's not there left-wing agenda junk!!!

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think this is important. We need to flood this school's and principal's email. What a bunch of idiots.

If you think they're right then sit on your hands.

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

Here's one email address....

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

And here is the other...

Now I've made it easy enough. Lets start those messages coming in. And more than one is just fine...

cap

10. cafowler

cafowler Member

My response is below.

Mr. Greg Gunn,

I'm writing to voice my strong objections to you, your teacher, and your districts actions as exposed by the Chanel 13 story last Friday.

I strongly disagree with you and your districts actions. The dejection in the youth's voice while being interviewed says it all. You and your staff should be role models for all the youth. By removing something that represents this youth's hard earned achievements, you have rejected his success as well.

The SCTP program has exploded all over the country in the last few years, especially in Californina which is a positive. The popularity of this family oriented sport is always present at any practice or competition. Any other main stream sport should be so lucky to have the type of family involvement in teaching respect for others, responsibility, and a proven method to improve ones own abilities, whether in school, at work or on the sports field.

I'd ask that you become more familiar with the program you've attacked by viewing the video's below. If you agree that you and your staff have made a mistake in this instance, I think a public apology via Chanel 13 and posted on YouTube is appropriate in this instance. The apology should be addressed to the more than 10,000 youth currently involved in SCTP clubs from 41 states around the country as well as Zach Fisher. There are over 30 teams from California, your decision truly affects every youth member on those teams in a discriminatory manner.

Examples of many youth shooting events promoting responsibility and respect.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bEfvAWtpyA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqpvcHL68FM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzvNEaM4s4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uHytYGQ5zQ

Principles set forth by the NSSF, to build youth shooting programs leading to qualifying events for our Olympic training center and future Olympic athletes are noted in the video's below. Two of the current Team USA members who have already qualified for the 2012 Olympics in London started at SCTP events.
    http://sssfonline.org/
    http://www.casctptrap.com/

Colleges and universities from around the country compete in San Antonio at the ACUI Intercollegiate Clay Target Championships.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qppJKrCPlpE

If you don't agree to make a public agology, you should be aware the very mistake you've just made has already been adjudicated in another state. The case of Newsom v. Albermarle County School Board resulted in a Federal 4th Circuit Court of Appeals decision an Asst Principal's actions to not allow a student to wear a NRA t-shirt with the siloute of a gun violated the childs 1st and 2nd amendment rights in 2003. I would expect any responsible school administer would voluntarily reverse a poor decision if they were aware of a civil rights violation. The "political correctness" of the teacher and adminstrators in young Zach's case is absurd, and should be corrected, if not by the will of those at fault, then by the will of the Nation's highest court. The NRA has very capable attorney's throughout the country more than able to take action when these violations occur. This most recently occured at Willows HS last fall, which resulted in thousands of dollars of legal fee's for the district to defend it's actions when they new they were in the wrong. I would hope Roseville City School District doesn't make similar financial mistakes and take corrective action now in the form of a public agology and reversal of it's discrimination against young Zach.
    http://old.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel200401080929.asp
    http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-4th-circuit/1173598.html

I'd certainly hope that the school and district adminstrators are man enough to admit their mistake, and make amends with what appears to be a fine young man, his family, and fellow clay target shooters throughout the country. This is a perfect opportunity to be a Role Model to Zach and explain that even adults make mistakes and it is more important to correct that mistake than wallow in the consequences. Perhaps the staff at Buljan Middle School should all be required to provide some community service time and volunteer to be pullers at the next large CA SCTP competition, where they can learn about the sport, meet the young participants, and truly be role models to these young kids.

I'm sure given some time to reflect on your actions, you will understand the mistakes you've made.

11. recurvyarcher

This is a school district. Please use proper spelling, grammar, and writing style (like using paragraphs). These administrators already think we are a bunch of neanderthals just because we like to shoot. If you want them to listen, have someone (that knows how to write) look over your email before you send it.

12. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Keep your emails short and sweet.

The person reading the e-mail is not going to waste "time" reading a long email.

State the facts and your opinions in a way that it is easily read.

13. recurvyarcher

I was going to say that, too.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They are not gonna read all of our emails period. The fact that their computer gets slammed with emails showing emmense objection to this incident will speak highly of our cause. We need them to realize that this kid is the voice of a whole country of shooters. We want them to know his supporters are nation wide and they need to get with the program. IMHO---Matt

15. recurvyarcher

Maybe phone calls are in order, too.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"They are not gonna read all of our emails period."</I></blockquote>

You're probably right. In fact, I'd be surprised if they've read any of them. Institutions like school districts and universities often use a "white list" to control email traffic: addresses on the list get in, the rest don't. After the first few, they would have started fine tuning the spam filters on their email server if needed to delete them as they arrived.

Phone calls are a better idea for as long as they'll accept those.

MK

17. neofight

neofight TS Member

I sent emails anyway.Short and to the point. This really pisses me off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.