1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please consider sponsoring a youth shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger8918, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

As many of you know, I run a youth trap team in South Central Pennsylvania. Given the disposition of some who frequent this forum lately, I’m probably opening myself up for a onslaught of negative comments (kids are bad, never come back to the sport, don’t shoot enough registered targets, we should be supporting older shooter, etc….old news – get over it!) about what I’m about to say here, but hey, for me, it’s all about helping kids and if I can help a kid continue to shoot in the sport, it will be worth whatever crap I take. It has been my experience that there are many good people on this one of a kind forum and this information is for them.

Due to the tuff economic times, that I’m sure all of you are aware of, I have a few kids on my team whose families are forced to make some hard decisions as to whether or not their children continue in the shooting sports. Like you, these are proud people who would never ask for help but make no mistake, there is a need and I am determined to help them out.

With three kids of my own in the sport, I’m not in a position to help financially as much as I would like but I can use my time and resources (this wonderful forum) to reach out to people who may be able to help.

Before anyone asks, yes we do participate in fundraisers to help the kids out, and that has been a blessing, but most of that money comes in later in the season after the kids have already committed to the program. My goal is to have families understand they have assistance before they choose to not participate because of financial reasons

My plan is to build a club fund that would assist families with ammo and other costs associated with shooting in our program. If you would like information on how you can help a kid stay in the sport please contact me by email. I would like to keep this as anonymous as possible, that way if a bunch of crap breaks out on this thread, those who helped will not feel like they need to defend themselves because of something I got them into.

Thank you,<BR>
    Roger Beardsley<BR>
    Mason-Dixon Clay Busters<BR>
    coach@masondixonclaybusters.com

P.S. just to give you some idea of what it cost to participate in our program, I’ve included the cost break down below.
    <UL>
    <LI>Membership to the ATA = $12
    <LI>Membership to the SCTP = $15
    <LI>10 weekly 50 targets practices = 2 boxes of shells $6 each = $12 x 10 practices = $120 for shell, our targets are 100% donated by our sponsoring clubs. Total cost of practices $120
    <LI>1 local 200 target warm-up competition = $20 targets + $48 for 200 shells = $68
    <LI>State SCTP Shoot = $30 targets + $48 for 200 shells = $78
    </UL>

Grand total for bare minimum to shoot with the team = $293 As you all know many of these kids shoot much more then what’s listed here but this is what it takes to keep a kids in our wonderful sport.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Have you considered buying these fine young men a copy of "Stock Fitting Secrets?"

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

BUZZ- ROFLMAO!

Seriously It's hard to get kids interested in shooting and dam expensive.

Those who can help should if you want shooting to continue.

Roger your right.

There would probably be more sponsorship if there was a way that we knew where the money was going and that it was all getting to the kids.

While were on the subject why should the kids have to pay to join the SCTP you would think that their could atleast be some sort of corporate sponsorship.

I also think it is unconscionable to charge a SCTP volunteer to go to a coaching course. Now those in business like myself I don't mind paying but the burden on some of the volunteers is enormous.

4. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

roger,have you look'd into the grants the nra offers for youth shooting programs,1`-800-554-9498,sandy elkin grant mgr will send you a packet,with all the forms& info,just finished my app for my kids yesterday,i have untill april 1st to get mine in,in pa you have untill aug 31 to get your packet in,mark

5. roger8918

roger8918 Member

buzz-gun, Just to expose how juvenile, uninformed and unacceptable some of your digs are getting, Roland CONTACTED ME over 2 years ago and sent my team a FREE copy of his "Stock Fitter's Bible".

Also, your comment shows the true chauvinist that you are. No where in my statement did I say that the kids that I coach were all boys, you just assumed they were. For your information, last year 20% of the kids on my team were, FINE YOUNG LADIES!

Word of advice, “It is better to keep your mouth (or keyboard in this case) shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.”

gun fitter, you and everyone else here has my word that all of the money collected in this effort will go directly to the kids. Right now that’s the best that I can do, I’m not looking to make this a big production.

I do know that the SCTP lost a lot of its funding this year so, as it was explained to me, they need to charge a registration fee to use for their awards. As for the volunteers, I’m with you. How can I ask someone to help coach and then tell them they need to pay $175 for the privilege? That’s why there will be one registered coach on my team, me! All of my assistant coaches from last year are now “Helpers”.

Mark, thanks for the offer. We did apply and received an NRA Grant last year for a few guns and some supplies. I also plan to try again for one in this August.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

(yawn)...Roger, lighten up...you seem like one of those people who thinks their reflection in the window is trying to attack them or something.

Respectfully,

buzzy

7. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Buzz, why do you keep editing your post? Rethinking your juvenile, uninformed and unacceptable digs? Tired of looking like an ass? Before you took your post down, you stated that you think I’m teaching my kids to be a bunch of freeloaders. Your sarcasm is almost as thick as your backside. But reading between the lines, you got it all wrong. I’m just trying to introduce the sport of Trap to a few kids who would otherwise never have the opportunity to enjoy it.

Do tell Buzz, what have you done for the sport lately?

The kids that I’m looking out for are hard working kids from good families. One is the oldest son of a farmer. When this 16 year old is not in school, he spends his time working on his father’s farm. Needless to say he doesn’t come home from his job with a wad of money in his pocket. He always has a smile on his face, always answers yes Sir or no Sir and his whole family comes to watch him shoot. Good kid and I what to help him and his family out.

Do something with you life Buzz. I challenge you to help a kid out. If you do maybe you’ll wake up and see the world a little different tomorrow.

By the way, just for the record I used a Shakespeare Rod, Penn reel and several Mepps spoons. The catch was about 9:00 p.m. and the fight was amazing. Of course I was on my Whaler.

8. 870aa

870aa TS Member

Hey Roger how has the gun and barrels that I sent you been working out for the kids? I wish I was in a position to help again. How are you guys doing in the gun department?

Ted Alsteen
    Bremerton, Wa.

9. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Hi Ted, one of my young ladies shot the 28" FULL last year and did great. That is one nice barrel. I have a few new kids coming in who are shooting 1100 field guns. I'm sure we will find a home for the 30" barrel with one of them. Also, we had a first year shooter break their first 25 with the 870! Thanks for the help. You Ted, are one of the good guys.

One other thing, the videos you sent have been outstanding. We have molded our teaching to the Harlan Campbell Video.

10. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Roger,

We have a 501c3 and do a fund raising for the young shooters. I like to dress them up appropriately and take them to town armed with flyers about what they want to accomplish and their accomplishments. We then ask local business owners and private citizens for a tax deductible donation. This also teaches the young athletes to believe in themselves and the sport. Kinda takes out of their heads and puts it in their heart. We raised a few hundred bucks in one afternoon.

Shoot me a PM with email info if you want a copy of the flyer we used.

Tony

11. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Tony that is outstanding idea. We are very close to getting our 501c3 and that sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon. Kids will have the opportunity to interact directly with the people who are sponsoring them. PM sent!

12. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks, to everyone who contacted me. I would still like to find a way to sponsors for two more kids. Like I said, the money will go directly to the kids. I would not be doing this if I did not think there was a need.

Roger

13. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Roger, I just paypaled enough to cover one of your shooters. I alo have a Charles Daly superior trap O/U, if you can use it, email me and we can arrange for you to pick it up.

Big Dave Borecki

PS. I don't care who knows, there is only one person I will have to explain my actions to and I don't plan on meeting Him in this life

14. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thank you Dave, That will be such a big help. We could always use a another good Trap gun. I still have a few shooters who are using field guns. I could come over to the club whenever you like and pick it up.

Thanks Again,
    Roger

15. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Mr Charles, Email sent.

16. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Roger, weather permitting I'll be at Quarryville on Tuesday, from 1 to 8:30

17. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks Dave, weather permitting we'll be there!

18. 870aa

870aa TS Member

Roger I have another gun I would like to donate. Its in great shape its a 870 tc, step rib,and Rem chokes. If you could give me your FFL address I will send it out next week sometime.I hope it helps.

Ted Alsteen

19. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thank you Ted, PM sent.

20. 870aa

870aa TS Member

No problem. Keep up the good work promoting the shooting sports to kids and the community. I know the gun will be put to good use. Glad I can help.

Ted Alsteen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.