1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Please analyze this pattern

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Pattern from right barrel of Iver Johnson SXS Supertrap

Remington Gun Club No. 8 from 14 yards

11 x 17 paper

Assume off paper holes not from this shell

IMG00085.jpg

2. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

OK, I'll take a stab. I always get a kick out of peoples responses when it comes to talking about POI. I usually always learn something new.

Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Flat shooting open choke barrel. HMB

4. EvansK

EvansK Member

Truly impressive.
    Evans

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

From one pattern, all I could conclude is that the gun/load produced a very open pattern. I cannot tell if the gun shot a bit low and to the right or the shooter shot the gun low and to the right. It would require about 10 patterns shot from a solid rest to determine where the gun is actually shooting.

Barfin- Your very fine measurements to the one thousandth or an inch are limited to the shot that hit the paper. What about the shot that were off the paper? When you measured the spacing of the shot so very accurately, how did you calculate the center of the irregular shaped holes? Your fine post may have been better accepted if you had used a more realistic level of accuracy.

Pat Ireland

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should try 7.5's, then the question 7.5 or 8's would be resolved once and for all

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Looks a tad less than an ideal modified pattern at 14 yards to me, patterns for the most part are like snowflakes, no two alike but similar in spread?

Hap

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It looks like skeet to me, or more open than that.

Neil

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

No matter what you think of the methods used both came to very similar findings on POI FOR THIS ONE SHOT. WindyCity 45/55 and Barfin 47/53. Also WindyCity I'm not sure why but all of the measurement values you have appear to be half values (compare the listed 5.4" pattern height to the 11" paper width they are about the same). Just looking at that one shot it appears to be centered 1 1/2" low and 1/2" right at 14 yards.

--- Chip King ---

10. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I'd say pretty good quail gun, just make sure to give them a little vertical lead.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I would not begin to claim a POI until I looked at at least 5.. and probably 10 targets.. I often question my ability to shoot a shotgun on a non moving target.. as my fire control center really wants to pull the shotgun as I pull the trigger THRU a non moving target.. I usually give my gun.. and shells to a few friends.. to shoot.. and I play the paper boy.. Noting the shooter..shell.. and range on each and every target.. You'd be amazed at how many shooters shoot the same gun..vastly different..all seeing the "figure 8"... In any event.. the gun is a flat shooter..

12. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

It looks to me to be about a 10 1/2" to 11" pattern with a few fliers. At 14 yards, that would make it a pretty tight choke although I don't see an extreme amount of center density. I would call it about an IM or Light Full choke.

Easystreet

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Assuming the big black/yellow thing is the point of aim, it appears to shoot pretty flat. Also, like Neil, I think this is a pretty open pattern. My current OU Perazzi with a modified lower barrel shoots much tighter than this at the same range. And my full choke is MUCH tighter.

14. Bushmaster1313

I was told it was .040 in both barrels and that it was on the light side of full.

Does this make sense?

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No sense at all. HMB

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The most open choke I have on a trap barrel is .019" and it throws a much tighter pattern than that at 14 yards. I get patterns like that with the .005" and .007" chokes from my 20b using STS light recoil shells.

17. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Hmmm, are you guys taking into account that this pattern is only about 11" wide? At the most it's 13".

My Full chokes have all patterned about this size.

I'm a little confused here. Neil, are you sure it's only throwing patterns like a Skeet choke? I would expect larger patterns from a Skeet choke, but I've only done about 1% of the patterning that Neil has so, I'll defer to him.

18. Bushmaster1313

Very few pellets outside 11" diameter

11" at 14 yards equals 31.4" at 40 yards

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bushmaster1313- Both a full choke and a skeet choke will result in about the same total pattern size at 40 yards. The difference in chokes is not the pattern size, but the distribution of shot in the pattern. At 14 yards a full choke will result in a hole larger than the aiming point on the pattern sheet shown above.

Pat Ireland

20. Bushmaster1313

Looks like I will have to shoot of shells to fully understand the pattern.

Then repeat the process for the left barrel.

Darn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.