1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing the Lewis Class at 16 yds?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

ALWAYS play the Lewis. If it wasn't for Uncle Louie some days I wouldn't win a darn thing.

John C. Saubak

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Sure, just make sure you shoot 200 every time and you'll make out fine.

But if you miss one...

...well, now you'll need to dutch 3 more for a 196 (at a big enough shoot, like the Grand, that always hits & is the worst-kept secret in trapshooting).

We all spend the majority of our time being "losers" at this sport. However, there is a certain type of self-delusional chap who feels that, as long as he can walk away with a check on gun club letterhead stating $7.17 in winnings, he is really not a loser. If his wife is not overly intelligent (watches lots of Oprah), he may even succeed in justifying it to her on these grounds, as well.

Think of the Louie payout as the trapshooting equivalent of a "participation trophy."

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

When in doubt dont play. tomk2 said it right. Same for the 25s. I never played them until the shoot(club) after i ran my 1st 50 and 75. I felt good that next weekend so i played. 25 24 25 22= 96 best caps score so far. small shoot payed out 225.00 at the end of the day. I have not shot that well since so have not been playing. If you dont play your scores will most often have paid. When you do play it seems harder to hit. I always play the lewis in 16

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If they pay in a 60-40 format, you have 6 chamces to win. You can win with a 99. If you don't play and you miss one, what will you win? If you miss early in your non-Lewis round, what keeps you going? 'bout the only downside is not as many shooters play it these days. I usually let the price/shoot size of the Lewis decide if I play the 16s. If it's $5, play it. If it's $10, look at the possible squad numbers. If it's $20, it had better be the Grand or a state shoot.

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a better idea. Each weekend I have the opportunity to play approx. 6 lewis class purses. Rather than play them, I put 10.00 in my other pocket for each event. When I get home, I have approx. 60.00 in my pocket. My wife asks about how I did and I show her the 60.00 and tell her that we should go out to dinner with my lewis money. When next week rolls around she always asks "Isn't there somewhere you can go shooting this weekend?"

Works for me.

Ed Yanchok

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What do you shoot for?? Where is the incentive? Do you shoot for your class purse? 16's are boring enough without some incentive to light your fire.

Don

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Ask any shooter how many times they put a ten dollar bill in the Lewis and collected about $2.50 in return. More often then I want to admit. I once received a check from the Grand for $1.20 Must have been half the shooters on that number to cut it that far.

Big Jack

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

I worked on target management for along time to keep myself a K class shooter and decided to step up to the plate at my State shoot next year and ya know what? I shot a freakin 25,26,24,27 for a total of 102 and still lost to a couple of sandbaggin freaks from the other wards!

Louie's dont pay at the 16yd line ... they just dont pay at all unless your a freaky sandbagger!

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At Markham in S. Florida we pay two classes two places 60/40% with 29 or less in the Lewis. At 30 and above in the Lewis we pay 3 classes. At $10 per entry with say 30 shooters in the Lewis that's $100 per class and $60 to the winner of the class and $40 to the next high score. We usually get better than 70% of all shooters playing the Lewis for all events.

Eric

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Unless you are always 99 or 100, Lewis is a sucker bet (except at the really big shoots).

11. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

People say there is no money in 16 yd !!! Only half or less shooters put money in a 16 yd lewis is why there isn`t enough . Go to a shoot with a manditory $5-$10 lewis and there will be plenty of money for a decent pay-out . Cheap ass trap shooters !!!! You drop your money on the handicap and when you don`t win you cry anyway .

12. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Zara,

Stuff you already knew...but wish you'd faced up to, twenty or thirty thousand dollars ago...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.