1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing around with video at a trap range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tachyon, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c33OcfdkvHk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c33OcfdkvHk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Acquired a Casio Exilim EX-FH20 for my physics classes. We have been taking slow motion video of basketball shots, soccer kicks etc. and doing frame by frame analysis of the video.

The Exilim will shoot at frame speeds up to 1,000fps but the size/quality is seriously compromised. At that speed you will need a tripod, great lighting and a small area of action.

The above video was at 210fps. The camera will do regular video (not HD) at that speed. It also has a 30/210 option. By using a button on the camera you can switch from 30fps to 210 fps without pausing the video. If you want more details feel free to PM.

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Very nice; perchance the Santa Maria California Gunclub?

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

That is real neat. I will have to check my camera out. I know it does video at two speeds but don't know anything else about it. I rarely use it but will check it out. I enjoyed your video and believe that it could be a real learning aid if someone is having problems hitting the birds. Jackie B.

5. bjc682

bjc682 Member

This video is very clear and you want to follow the target to see it break. But watch the first young lady and the impact of the recoil on her body. Her head goes back as does her shoulder and upper body. I've never seen a video that showed, this clearly what the body goes thru after taking a shoot. Multiply that impact times 300 hundred a day, no wonder your tired at the end of the day.

Safe Shooting, Bart

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

She'a small framed woman about 120 lbs soaking wet. Put a 250 lb 6' man there and it's doubtful you'd see any body movement.

Eric

7. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Very nice bruce you can see the shot on the first girl.Mybe we can use it this weekend to help the scores out.You no how things work there ha ha .

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What does a camera like that cost and how much data can it store?

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

As I have often noticed at night under the lights, when you can see the shot string, especially on a miss, the shot string seems to arc in the air, whereas it seems to remain straight on a hit.

That is neat.

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Darn! I can't see anything in the first post to click on. All I see is a blank (white) box with a very tiny small colored box in the upper left hand corner. I tried clicking on that tiny box, but nothing happened. Help please.

Easystreet

11. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

That looks like Papillion Nebraska Gun Club,Shoot there couple times a year Jeff

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Given that tachyon is from Omaha, I'd say Papillion is probably right.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

wireguy, the shot string may "seem" to arc, but it doesn't.

That's an optical illusion.

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yes, obviously it's an optical illusion, but it's pretty consistent. The shot string seems to go straight to the target on hits, at the last instant curves behind the target on misses. Something to do with the way the eye and brain work together I suppose.

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Watch the first girls gun and her head. Gun moves, head not so much. Second girl all moves as a unit, much better. I forget what Phil calls this, maybe arm shooting. Not good.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

wireguy

Its a case of your eyes tracking the target in your center of reference. The target moves past the shot string, but since you're moving your eyes to track the target, you perceive the shot as bending behind the target as it passes by.

The same is true (as I've seen it) that when you hit the target on a hard left or right, the shot appears to be on a path way out in front of the target, then arcs back towards the target.

I'm sure there's some term to describe that.

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Easystreet,

Right click on the colored box. There should be a drop down menu that says "show picture", click on it and you should see the video.

Eric

18. biff

biff Active Member

Wolfram, $319 on Amazon.Com. They have one more like a P & S with 5X zoom for $219, which also has the Hi-Speed Video. At 1000 fps the image quality goes down, but will improve at 240 or 480fps. The more expensive of the two has a 20X zoom, both are 9.1 meg cameras. Biff

19. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Eric,

Thanks for trying to help, but that didn't work. I right clicked on the little box and got a menu with about 15 different choices, but none of the choices said "show picture" or anything close to that. Any other suggestions?

Easystreet

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Easystreet,

Try going to youtube.com and search for "breaking clay". That might work for you. Also check your programs listing to see if you have Adobe flash player 10, if not just enter "adobe flash player" in a search engine and download it, it's a free download. That should solve this and any future issues with videos.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.