1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

plating on beretta 682 gold e

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TD1958, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I recently purchased a 682 Gold E combo after reveiwing countless threads of the quality and longevity of the firearm. The gun I purchased was used it is a 2007 model and now I find the gold inlays have fallen out on the bottom of the reciever and the plating has started coming off. I have contacted Beretta and they sent me to a factory rep. Low and behold they (beretta will not stand behind it. Knowing what I know about plating the typical culprate would be prep work/ base material prior to the plating process. With that being said I really cannot understand them not standing behind it being used or new. Very disappointing to say the least. Has anyone experienced difficulties with Beretta's warranty and or willingness to stand behind what they sell? Thanks, Tim

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Since you are not the original owner, and any warranty to the original owner has long since expired, I'm not surprised.

If you bought this over the internet you should/should have returned it, and if you bought it in person, you should have looked it over real good before walking out the door w/ it.

Beretta receiver finishes are usually pretty bulletproof. My dad has an EXTENSIVELY used greystone finished gun, and with the exception to wear of the "gold" inlays, it looks as good as the day it left the factory, and he is NOT very maintenance oriented. In fact, if I could have the same finish applied to my Kolar receiver, I'd have it done in a heartbeat.

3. TD1958

TD1958 Member

So tell me in all your worldy knowledge of the plating process how you would have known that there was or could have been an issue with the plating process and an underlying issue. Some of you guys really crack me up. You should of looked at it really good before walking out the door. Come on I suppose you have exray glasses you wear as well.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Let's iron out a few details before we go further:

1. Define "recently" as far as when you purchased the gun.

2. When you purchased the gun, it looked pristine in the shop. Since you purchased it, 100% of the damage/flaws occurred, correct?

I find it hard to believe that a flaw in the plating processes would take 5+ years to show up, and would show up in a major way in a very short period of time. Also, the "gold" inlay (not real gold) and the plating both experiencing problems simultaneously is suspect. Since both happened at the same time, and since you owned it, that would lead me to believe its either the products you're using to clean the gun, the process that you are using to clean the gun, or your body chemistry that is causing the issues.

Also, pics would be helpful so we can see the extent and manner of damage.

Regardless of any of this, its not a warranty issue for Beretta. Beretta warranty is one year from date of original purchase. Now its not unheard of them to go above and beyond to help people out, but its not something to be expected.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

the gold "inlays are just a gold paint on the titanium nitride finish...handling will take it off no matter what if you got your hands acidic oils on it or you clean it alot...just a fact of life...thats why if you don't want wear you just keep your hands on the lumber like me....my Brownings have no blue wear except the long tang areas of the pistol grips where its unavoidable...Brownells has the Gold fill if you want it pretty again...as far as the titanium nitride..thats normal wear and tear bro..just like scratches..its your baby..with all due respect : ) Arts Gun Shop used to be able to redo those finishes..if they are still around

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've used the Brownells gold fill kit. It's made by Bonaza. It works well and is easy to use.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Some of the Beretta receivers ARE nickel plated with the fake gold in the lines. I don't know how common or uncommon the nickel begins to blister and peel, but I've re-done several of them. The same with some Perazzis. I wonder if they both use the same plating company.

Doug

8. WJN

WJN TS Member

One of the reasons I bought a new Beretta as my primary trap gun. They do not warrant to other than the original owner. I am not saying I would never buy a used Beretta because I have but I understand that I might have a service issue and it will (most likely) be at my expense.

Jim

9. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I just am having trouble believing that in this day and age the difficulty of selling anything to start with that the quality wouldn't be better than that. I really like the gun and own others with plting on the recievers and never had a problem from the way i cared for them or the acid in my skin etc. affecting the finish. If it's done correctly nothing from your skin should affect it. Tim

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

In my experence Beretta will go a bit "above and beyond" on a target gun to the origional owner. I guess they don't want to get a bad rep. with the target shooters. Browning is much the same if you live long enough to get it back. Some of the best customer service experence I have had with firearms is with Smith and Wesson and Ruger. Now as far as customer service with reloading companies, RCBS and Hornady have bent over backwards for me on more than one occasion. I can't say enough good about either of them and I have to give them both a "thank you" every chance I get.

11. WJN

WJN TS Member

MDMIKE - My brand new Beretta 682 Gold E which I have owned all of 4 months or so was shipped back to Beretta the first week I owned it. There was a stock (wood) problem. Took 4 weeks round trip but they were very courteous and they really hooked me up with the new wood. I have no complaints about the service. Now how it got out of the factory we could talk about.

Jim

12. TD1958

TD1958 Member

All I am saying is if the plating process and prep work before hand is correct, nothing any of us could or would put on it should not affect it. Plain and simple. I will more than likely have to have some one replate it but it is a shame the workmanship isn't held to a higher standard for what these guns cost. Thanks, Tim

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Beretta 682's. I have no problems with the finish on either of them. I have also never had a failure of any kind. I am a minimalist when it comes to maintenance. I use minimal chemicals, and only pull the stocks about every third year. I have no finish issues. There are a few places where the finish is wearing through on edges. The main beauty of my Berettas is that they just keep shooting. Even though I take due care not to cause any cosmetic damage, 10's of thousands of troublefree shots are more important than a nick or scratch here or there. Enjoy your 682 and concentrate on lots of great rounds.

14. 1903

1903 Member

How is this for a plating problem? New bubbles are forming and popping.
    [​IMG]

15. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

On most break open guns you will find pitting under the tang lever, Brownings and Perazzi's are big offenders. This pitting is caused by owners who don't push the lever over and wipe down the tang, an area that easily holds moisture. I learned this lesson the hard way years ago with a Browning..............

Surfer

16. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

WJN, I'm glad you had great success with Beretta service. As I said, they will go a bit above and beyond in my understanding. I own 5 Berettas and have never had an need to use their customer service. The guns I own have given great service and I can't say enough good about them. Now some of the folks I shoot with have had their guns worked on by Beretta and each and every one have been more than satisfied. Now my experence comes from other shooters that I know well. As far as Browning, I have a friend that says he has had his Special Sporting rebuilt by Browning 3 times at no charge to him. Now if we could only find car dealers that would go this far......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta replate nickel receiver

how to clean a beretta 682 gold e