1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

plastic wad petals

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ken a, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken a

ken a Member

I recently picked up some plastic wads where the petals were not slit all the way to the end. Has the incomplete cut caused any of you shooters problems?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Only if it makes them harder to put in the press.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

They may be the old Herters unslit wad. Lot of guys used them for the extra long range [anties] they will stay on target to about 60yds. rick

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I copy and pasted this from the Remington website......could this be what you are talking about?

Both the Figure 8 and TGT-12 wads now feature a new stitched petal design that helps keeps wads separated for easier reloading and are interchangeable with the older non-stitched versions

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Remington wads that are connected at the top are the TGT12S. The S stands for stitched, which means connected at the top. HMB

6. ken a

ken a Member

Thanks for the information and I do remember Herters having the stitched wads but as I recall reloaders didn't like them. I'll soon find out but suspect it may cause the wad to tip. Also I thought some of the wad makers claimed it was an advantage to have a quick drop off as a result of open petals ?????

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Ken:

You are exactly right on the thought process and selling point behind the Windjammer 8 petal design.

Some claim the 8 petals give the wad a parachute effect making the wad drop off sooner. Downrange Manufacturing even goes so far to say that it is the most popular wad for 16 yard and skeet applications implying that it lets the wad drop off sooner and opening up the pattern.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The connected petals help keep the wad from tipping. HMB

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The new wads with stitching at the top of the slits have no performance change. Upon firing the little joining piece separates. I never saw the Herter's so I don't know if they were merely not slit at all, or joined at the top.

HM

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

halfmile, one of Herter's wads had no slits at all. Ballistic Products also sells a wad present day that has no slits.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks. Saw the regular Chalice wad but never a solid cup version.

HM

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

hmb says "The connected petals help keep the wad from tipping." That implies that petals cause the wad to tip and results in problems. If that were a problem wads would have no petals. Looks like a wad with no petals would catch air and tip every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.