1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic Wad Fouling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

Is there any particular brand of plastic wads that causes less fouling in the barrel than others ? I've been using Claybuster wads and have to use quite a bit of elbow grease to remove the residue after shooting.
    Thanks for any information.

2. revbook

revbook Member

I load Windjammers and find they have less residue.

Don in PA

3. schneep

schneep Member

I have switched to Down Range with good results. They seem "slipperyer" :)

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

DownRange = less plastic fouling

Claybuster = the most plastic fouling

5. Mel12

Mel12 TS Member

+1 for downrange. I dont even know why I brush my bbl anymore. Just a little squirt of remoil and a shoptowel and its like new. When I loaded clay busters I used my my powerdrill to get the residue out.

6. Snidely54

Snidely54 Member

I load Duster wads and have very little plastic residue.

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

claybusters tend to be the worst offenders

dusters, windjammers, and downrange are all much better for a reduction in plastic build up with downrange causing the least from what I can see in my barrels

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I hate to be the only one to disagree about DR wads but that's 1 of the reasons I quit using them, the main reason was that they were terribly inconsistent, I even gave a couple hundred (wads only) to to a shooting buddy and he had the same problems. We use different brands of reloaders--powder--primers and guns. Went back to OEMs and tried CBs clones and our problems went away. Ross Puls

9. letts

letts TS Member

I have used a few cases of DR wads in my brownings. I was told about plastic build up, as of yet have never found even a hint of plastic in the bore of the barrel or the chokes

Letts

10. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Polish your chokes with Brownells hones. I can take the plastic build up off with my fingers usually unless the barrel gets real hot. Even then they clean up real easy. Then shoot any wad you want. They cost a bit but over time they pay for themselves in less aggravation. Even just the one extra fine would do it. Instead of buying the oil supplied by Brownell use regular non detergent motor oil.

CM

11. Reinz

Reinz Member

Use Down Range wads.

Spray WalMart engine degreaser foam in barrel. Roll up paper towel like a tampon, run it through. 80% of gunk comes out. Then I spray Rem oil in. Run a patch through. 95 to all of gunk is out.

Next is the chamber brush with Hoppes, and the Choke as well. Run a patch through and bore looks like new.

Done in less than 5 min.

Note: degreaser has not harmed my bluing on my SKBs, however I wipe it off quickly if it gets on the blue.

12. warren

warren Member

I scrape it out with my pocket knife and they all leave residue

warren

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I use Claybuster wads in all the gauges I shoot (Win clones) and I have no problems with plastic build up. I do run a 3-5 patches though the barrels after shooting with a light spray of Rem Oil to make them damp to help the patch clean better. In the same way a damp rag will pick up more dust than a dry rag. Rem Oil also has Teflon in it that may help to reduce the build up??? Some shooters say its the chokes themselves that may make a difference??? I use all browning (made by Briley) or Briley chokes. I do not know any shooter who has a problem with plastic build up who cleans there guns after each use. Do YOU???? break em all Jeff

14. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Slip 2000 is what I use for cleaning my screw out chokes. Plastic pretty much falls out. Quick bronze brushing using electric drill and one section of cleaning rod. I use Claybuster Windjammers.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have not noticed plastic build up in my Bbls using Claybuster wads, WT-12 clone or Windjammers.

Longshot Loads seem to clean out the bbl

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I use Claybuster and have not experienced any problems.

17. FNG

FNG Member

Perhaps I should have clarified in my original post. My guns are Krieghoff fixed chokes and I do clean them each time I shoot, after I get home. The build-up I notice remaining after I run a bore snake through the gun is between the forcing cones and the choke area. I have used Shooters Choice Bore Scrubber and RGS and still have to use a cordless drill and a phosphor brass brush to get the plastic out after letting the liquid sit in the barrels for 20 - 30 minutes.
    I appreciate the comments.

18. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Are some wads better in some guns than others? Clearly. Is one wad necessarily worse than another? Clearly not. There are unhappy marriages between guns and wads. Claybusters are most often cited as the biggest offender.

I don't doubt anybody else's experiences but I use Claybusters exclusively.

My Beretta 682 had the cones lengthend and POLISHED....zero buildup in the cones. The factory choke tubes would load up in the skirt. My Teagues not nearly as much. Bottom line, it gets scrubbed about every 5K rounds.

My 1926 Fox SxS had the chokes and cones opened and polished. It has seen nearly 50,000 rounds(at least 40K reloads)and has never been scrubbed. It gets 3 passes per barrel with an oily Tyco mop after each day's shooting and the bores shine like mirrors. Seems to be happy with Claybusters. YMMV.

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

FNG , I would suggest a better bronze brush. I also use a drill. I squirt a little wd40 down the barrel and I am done in 10 seconds, no soaking at all. Look for a stiff oversize brush. Brownells will have them if you can't find one elsewhere.

20. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

People really clean there barrels. I just hit the action with some air, shot of kroil, little Perazzi lube and off we go. Plastic is overrated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wad fouling barrel