1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic Wad Fouling!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Voolfie, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Recently picked up an old A.H. Fox Model 'J' trap gun with DECADES of plastic and lead fouling in the barrel. Any thoughts on the best method to clean this? (I.e. methods that don't involve an entire afternoon with a bore brush)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

J.F. Wolfington
    Phila., PA

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Acetone. DO NOT get it on the wood it will ruin your wood finish. The Acetone will eat the plastic right out of the barrel. You can get a small metal can of it in the paint and stain section at Wal Mart or most hardware stores.
    [​IMG]

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I second the above. Remove barrels from gun and soak a swab in acetone and run through the barrel a couple of times and let stand for a few minutes. Then use a bure brush to push the loose stuff out and repeat until no more comes out.

This will take about an hour to clean everything out. Make sure to use in a well vented area. Don't have the wood anywhere near as any spills will take the finish right off the wood (as stated above). You'll be amazed at how much crap is removed fronm the forcing cone area and the choke area of the bores.

ss

4. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Been there Voolfie, the above posts is what I did. I didn't swab mine down the barrel, I put the acetone in a small glass bottle and easily poured it down my barrel until it started to drip out the end. I then took the barrel and turned it until it covered the inside of the barrel. I let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes and took a drill rod with a 10 gauge brush and ran it down the barrel. The plastic was completely gone. Oh ya, Keep it away from your wood, like the others have said. Hope this help ya. Rick

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Hi John, you want to pick up one of Roger F's bore brushes (20mm) you will not need any chemicals when using that brush. P.S. Last time I seen or shot with you was about 20 years ago, maybe down at Bucks County F&G.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Put your cleaning rod, with a brass brush, in a drill. Squirt some wd40,bore cleaner, mineral spirits,oil, water or whatever you have handy, doesn't matter, down the barrel. The drill and brush supply all the cleaning action you need. Your barrel will be clean in a jiffy. No need for harsh chemicals or soaking your barrel.

7. xb40

xb40 Member

+1 on toolmaker. Chuck a cleaning rod in a vari speed drill, screw on the brush, and slowly use the brush in the barrel. It will remove all the plastic from the bore. Easy, fast,and cleans the bore spotless.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used to get that with Claybusters, now I shoot DR or Fed and get very little

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

This is the brush I was referring to, bought it around 20 years ago and it still works good. Cubancigar is right about the Claybuster wads, I use only Downrange, or Remington wads and never get any build up.
    [​IMG]

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

JerryP that was goping to be my suggestion, I use an 18Volt DeWalt Drill Driver
    with the long rod w/the wire brush.

I use the cleaner and rod I bought off Frigon Guns years ago.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. C1

C1 Member

Kind of makes me realize just how much I miss Frenchy.

Every time I go to a big shoot and stand by a urinal with nothing to read the same thought crosses my mind.

Gary Riecke

12. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Forget all the stuff that says "don't get it on the wood"

Give it a good squirt of Rem-oil.. go drink a cup of coffee and come back and drag your bore brush threw it.. comes out in strings !! Repeat as needed. No need to worry about getting it on anything other then the table cloth..

I've never understood why people think they need harsh chemicals to clean a gun..

13. maka

maka Member

Aceton is great stuff! Very flamable, do not, repeat, do not use in any area with a pilot present. Worked with it in mfg enviroment for years. Good Luck.

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

With a gun that age it might be more of a leading problem than a plastic problem. I'm not sure the acetone with help with the lead. An entire afternoon with a bore brush may. But maybe it won't take an entire afternoon.

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Acetone: DON'T BREATHE IT. YOU'LL BE ON YOUR BUTT BEFORE YOU KNOW IT.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

and stay away from Magic Markers too!!!

17. mooney

mooney Member

Does Acetone have any adverse effect on a gun's bluing?

Thanks, Mooney Glenn Wedding

18. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Well, it sounds like a combination of Roger 'F' and acetone will get the job done in the minimum amount of time and with the minimum amount of effort.

Thank you to all...and Merry Christmas!

J.F. Wolfington

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Acetone and "An entire afternoon with a bore brush "

I am amazed at how people are so resistant to the simple and quick solution.

20. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I ended up combining methods: I let the barrel soak in Acetone and then cleaned the chamber with a bore brush (wrapped in '0000' steel wool) inserted into my cordless drill. Wow!

The barrel is not perfectly clean, but considering how much effort I put in...practically none...the results are phenomenal.

Thanks to all.

-JW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.