1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

plastic residue

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mudbug, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

12 guage gun - What is the best method for removing plastic (wad) residue from cones, barrel, and chokes? I have been using a 10 guage bronze bore brush.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Brute force isn't necessary.

I use Shooter's Choice bore cleaner.

Other people like WD-40, Ed's Red, Hoppie's, etc.

The trick is to get the bore coated with a solvent, give it about 5 - 10 minutes to do it's chemistry thing and then use a cleaning patch to push the loosened fouling out. Continue with the patches until you get a clean one (or reasonably so) and you're done. Choke tubes sometimes require special attention, i.e., removal and separate soaking and scrubbing. But I only do that occasionally. Usually the procedure I described above is sufficient.

HTH

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Thompson-Center makes a cleaner that removes sabot plastic and powder residue from the bores of black powder rifles. Works great on the wad leftovers in trap gun barrels.

Mike

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I like Shooter's Choice Shotgun & Choke cleaner. It works better than Shooter's Choice bore cleaner and won't dissolve the copper out of your bronze bore brushes. It smalls lees bad, as well.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Soak the plastic in acetone. It is available at your local hardware store. It dissolves plastic in a short period of time. HMB

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

How often do you clean your gun?

7. southpark

southpark TS Member

A short soak in WD-40 and a run or two with a bore snake and it is cleaned out.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

right after I've shot the last event of the day, I shoot a shot of Outers or Browning oil down the barrell(s) and then fog some on the outside and put the gun(s) away in thier case....then the next time they're taken out of thier case they are thoroughly swabbed out with my long fuzzy bore brush...I'll try soaking them and see what comes out!!

9. rfilber

rfilber TS Member

Shooter's Choice bore cleaner & a 12ga. chamber brush will do the trick real quick. Chamber brush is stiffer & tougher than a bore brush. Use electric drill to do this. Works great.

10. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Use either Downrange or Duster wads and plastic residue is not an issue.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clean plastic residue from shotgun barrel

removing sabot residue

sabot plastic residue removal